A/C Issue on a 2004 TJ

juaneslh

Hey Ya’ll,

First post on here but i’m hoping to get some advice about what may be going on with my tj.

I bought a 2004 2.4L with 132k miles a month ago and it has AC but it hasn’t blown cold. I decided to recharge it with some freon but when I recharged it the gauge was going up and down and the compressor clutch would finally click on but then turn off after a while (and the jeep would shake a little when this happened) and the pressure would fluctuate on the gauge. It kept doing this for a while. It for sure had a leak but i put in around 20 oz in total. It now does the same thing where the clutch turns on and off and the rpm’s fluctuate a bit but it is blowing cold, however the pressure gauge is not steady still. I have read that this might be due to not having enough freon in the system because originally the clutch didn’t click on at all before filling it- but with 20oz in there i’m not sure what it could be.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Start with evacuating the system and seeing if it holds vacuum.

Although I'd probably start with an o-ring kit and replace every o-ring on every connection...and the reciever/drier is around $25... probably worth replacing.

-Mac

Reactions: Rickyd and Irun