A Jurassic Overland Dream

Hi everyone! I figured I'd start a build thread now that I'm going to start getting some work done to the Jeep before winter.

Like the title says, I want to build a Jurassic Park inspired overland/adventure rig out of my Jeep.
These are my inspirations for the kind of look I'm going for in the end.

View attachment 113756
View attachment 113757
View attachment 113758

It might not be everyones taste, but seeing Jurassic Park as a kid is what made me fall in love with Jeeps so, here I am lol
I bought my 2000 Jeep TJ in July, it's a 5-speed with the 4.0. It has a 2" lift (maybe?), it had a Rough Country sticker on the windshield and it has 31's with no rub so I'm guessing at 2". That's really the only mod done to the Jeep other than the Ford rims. It came with a hard top and a soft top that is worse for wear, but it worked fine enough for this summer.

So here's what I'm starting with the day I bought it.

View attachment 113759

I really haven't done a whole lot with it since I bought it. I've been off work for medical reasons so I took the summer to just enjoy the Jeep as it was while doing a couple minor things just to keep the itch scratched a little lol

The fender flares were gross so they got redone. I used Matte Camo Black and it turned out pretty good IMO. I also bought a can of color match paint and sprayed the black diamond plating to match.
Before on the flares

View attachment 113760

After
View attachment 113761

This was the last time it was cleaned up with the ragged soft top before putting the hard top on.
View attachment 113763

I also re-dyed the padding for my roll bar covers. My picture for this is absolutely terrible so I apologise. The padding is still dirty from the last trip out but it gives you a good idea of the contrast between old and re-dyed.
View attachment 113762

And other than some minor maintenance here and there I haven't had to do a whole lot to the Jeep. Which given my employment status right now is a major plus lol

My first plans are all priority based which means no fun stuff yet.
Before winter hits and the salt starts flying I need:
-Passenger side floor pan
- Passenger side body mount repaired
- New rubber
- Some surface rust repairs on the tub.

Now for all the stuff that comes after lol
- I want to replace the lift to a new 2.5"reason one being my intentions to upgrade the suspension as much as possible, my goal is to make the most comfortable cruising TJ I possibly can haha, but also because my ride quality right now is crap and I think a lot of it is to do with the old suspension, and right now I have no clue what lift is even in it so it would be nice to know everything I have.
- Winch
- Half doors
- Sahara seat swap
- Lightbar with fog lights
- I do a lot of backroad and field driving at night so I'd like to get a pair of spotlights to mount up near the windshield
- Install sound deadening under the carpet
- CB & antenna
- Rear fogs
- Rugged ridge dash tray
- And of course the JP paint job lol

There's probably a lot of little stuff I'm forgetting and lots of big stuff that will pop up along the way, but that's the gist of where I'm headed. I don't do much rock crawling, like at all. A lot of back roads and mountain trails, coast line drives. I do a lot of photography, hiking, and camping, so the Jeep is going to be getting a lot of good use, hopefully lol

Here are just some random pictures of it taken over the summer

This was my first 2+hr drive in the Jeep and the first time using it for anything lol

View attachment 113764

View attachment 113765
View attachment 113766
View attachment 113767
View attachment 113768View attachment 113769

I'll try to update as much as I can! Tomorrow the hurricane hits so the Jeep will get a pretty good test come then, fingers crossed lol
I think the JP themed TJ is a cool idea, was surprised FCA didn’t do a JP Rubicon model.

I think they did for the release of Jurassic World if I'm not mistaken. It was a blue and black or blue and grey color scheme I think.
They missed the boat then because I’ve seen more Jurassic Park themed TJ’s and YJ’s then I have tomb raider editions

They missed the boat then because I’ve seen more Jurassic Park themed TJ’s and YJ’s then I have tomb raider editions

I agree. Not saying I would have bought one cause $$$ lol but they would have made a good profit.

The Jurassic World Live show did up a TJ and it turned out pretty good. It's even electric. One of the reviews said you couldnt even hear it drive on stage.
20190929_101056.jpg

I'd like to find out what light bar that is, I'd like to have one for mine.

I agree. Not saying I would have bought one cause $$$ lol but they would have made a good profit.

The Jurassic World Live show did up a TJ and it turned out pretty good. It's even electric. One of the reviews said you couldnt even hear it drive on stage.
View attachment 117746

I'd like to find out what light bar that is, I'd like to have one for mine.

This one by Barricade looks very similar.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-light-bar-tj-j100751.html

Reactions: reddvltj
Got a start today on everyones favorite, rust repair!! I took the carpets out to get a good look at what I'm dealing with.

And oh my lanta is it worse than I thought. I knew of a couple holes on the passenger side, and a body mount. Well that would've been nice lol

This is the passenger side and it's about what I was expecting
View attachment 114524

Drivers side is about what I was expecting, still no worries
View attachment 114525

The first annoyance, a previous owners idea of patching a floor :rolleyes: Ive got nothing against using rivets to put in a patch, but this is not how it's done.
View attachment 114527

And this is where I started wanting to cry a lil bit lol Turns out the drivers side underneath is by far the nastiest spot. Also a shout out to my 5yr old helper today. He tells me sticks work great to see if stuff is broken lol
View attachment 114528

And of course one final blow just to really send it all home lol
View attachment 114529

But hey the rear is pretty solid other than some surface rust I can hit with some sandpaper and primer. So that's a silver lining, I guess? lol
View attachment 114533

But I guess that's what happens when I vehicle lives it's life next to the ocean and spends every winter driving on roads covered in salt.

I know for a lot of people this would be enough to cut their losses and toss it all. Buuuut that's not really an option for me, I've brought worse back from the dead and I'm not looking to put this baby in Sema, solid, water tight, and rust free is all I need.

So the game plan:
I'm doing chemo treatments rn and still off work so full floor pans are not in the budget, Right now the plan is to seperate the tub from the frame and cut out and replace the rust on the floor, the frame will go off to a guy in town who does amazing framework, then we'll put them back together.

Then I want to spray the entire tub with a bedliner or something similar, then some sound deadending, and while the carpets are out I'll steam clean them and re-dye them with the same stuff I used for my roll bar covers

It worked great on the roll bar covers so hopefully I'll have good results with the carpet as well.
View attachment 114532

Wish me luck!! lol
1st off sell that Jeep or keep it for parts. The frame rust repair will cost you the price of buying another used jeep. The " Correct Jurrasic Park Jeep" by the way its YJ Jeep and Not a TJ. I would start looking for YJ over in the dry weather climatic regions. CA NV, AZ. The prices out here are pretty cheap for good YJ. Unmodified 4 banger under 6k us dollars or cheaper. That's my opinion.

1st off sell that Jeep or keep it for parts. The frame rust repair will cost you the price of buying another used jeep. The " Correct Jurrasic Park Jeep" by the way its YJ Jeep and Not a TJ. I would start looking for YJ over in the dry weather climatic regions. CA NV, AZ. The prices out here are pretty cheap for good YJ. Unmodified 4 banger under 6k us dollars or cheaper. That's my opinion.

No thanks lol I live in Nova Scotia, so importing something out of the country definitely isnt worth it. And as for sellinyg it or buying another, that's a great option for most people. But for a single father off work and going through chemo, fixing it is the cheaper and easier option. I understand that for most people this would be a huge repair and not worth the time. But I'm very fortunate to know a lot of talented friends who work on cars and rebuild the dead and beaten as easy as breathing lol I still have my daily driver so theres no rush on finishing things.

At the end of the day we can keep it in my budget and make it solid and rust free, and that's all that matters for me.

And your "proper jurassic park jeep" comment just makesyou look like an airhead, i addressed the YJ and TJ difference in my original post. Thanksfor stopping by friend.

No thanks lol I live in Nova Scotia, so importing something out of the country definitely isnt worth it. And as for sellinyg it or buying another, that's a great option for most people. But for a single father off work and going through chemo, fixing it is the cheaper and easier option. I understand that for most people this would be a huge repair and not worth the time. But I'm very fortunate to know a lot of talented friends who work on cars and rebuild the dead and beaten as easy as breathing lol I still have my daily driver so theres no rush on finishing things.

At the end of the day we can keep it in my budget and make it solid and rust free, and that's all that matters for me.

And your "proper jurassic park jeep" comment just makesyou look like an airhead, i addressed the YJ and TJ difference in my original post. Thanksfor stopping by friend.
Thanks for calling me an airhead because I have two at home that is running fine 1974 r90s and 1977 r100rs. As for address the YJ issue, it was further down the post and didnt read until after I responded. Regardless I'm here to help, not to criticize. GLWB. stay strong, stay happy!

Reactions: TJ Starting
Thanks for calling me an airhead because I have two at home that is running fine 1974 r90s and 1977 r100rs. As for address the YJ issue, it was further down the post and didnt read until after I responded. Regardless I'm here to help, not to criticize. GLWB. stay strong, stay happy!

It's all good. Apologies for coming off like a jackass myself.
I usually keep off forums because most people see rust and immediately jump to kill it with fire. Most people dont realise that not everyone can just drop everything and buy another project like that. Where I'm from rust is just a part of life, we live by the ocean and they salt the roads, there's no avoiding it. So around here when most people would throw it to the junkyard, well to us it's just another rusty weekend project to bring back from the dead.

It's all good. Apologies for coming off like a jackass myself.
I usually keep off forums because most people see rust and immediately jump to kill it with fire. Most people dont realise that not everyone can just drop everything and buy another project like that. Where I'm from rust is just a part of life, we live by the ocean and they salt the roads, there's no avoiding it. So around here when most people would throw it to the junkyard, well to us it's just another rusty weekend project to bring back from the dead.
It's all good and if you have a crew that can help even better. I thought it's a cool thread and I wanted to chime in. Rust is hard to fix and I've read tons of horrible story of people chasing the problems. Some even saved money by started new projects. As I said before good luck with the project wish all the best..

I think all the YJs are now 25+ years old, which means they are antiques and can be imported with very little fuss, if you change your mind on that. I'm in the process of importing and registering a US-manufactured-for-the-canadian-market TJ. I spent many hours researching and trying to unravel the red tape... It came down to the fact that Chrysler refused to write the "identical model" letter needed to import it on my own, so we (I purchased the jeep from my dad) went through a broker. Not cheap, but if you value your time it can be worth it. Not all brokers are the same - I talked to one in FL who was a complete jacka$$. Shop around.

I saw a JP jeep in Jacksonville a few months back. Not my thing, but I can appreciate the time and effort to build one, especially if it's what got you started. My dad has had a 1963 willys for as long as I can remember that he used to plow snow. It doubled as playground equipment for me and my friends during the summer.

Good luck on the project. Keep us updated.

I think all the YJs are now 25+ years old, which means they are antiques and can be imported with very little fuss, if you change your mind on that. I'm in the process of importing and registering a US-manufactured-for-the-canadian-market TJ. I spent many hours researching and trying to unravel the red tape... It came down to the fact that Chrysler refused to write the "identical model" letter needed to import it on my own, so we (I purchased the jeep from my dad) went through a broker. Not cheap, but if you value your time it can be worth it. Not all brokers are the same - I talked to one in FL who was a complete jacka$$. Shop around.

I saw a JP jeep in Jacksonville a few months back. Not my thing, but I can appreciate the time and effort to build one, especially if it's what got you started. My dad has had a 1963 willys for as long as I can remember that he used to plow snow. It doubled as playground equipment for me and my friends during the summer.

Good luck on the project. Keep us updated.

Some day when I'm rich and famous!! Haha I'll remember that for sure. This here is just gonna be my fun adventure rig with no regards to screen accuracy lol but some day I do want to build something screen accurate and car show worthy so I'll keep importing in mind as an option.

Tomorrow she's getting put up for the week and the floor and frame tackled, so today I'm doing some of the small annoying stuff I've wanted to take care of for a while.

Mainly all the chipped paint and annoying surface rust.

First was the lip around the tub where the hard top sits. I didn't want to just use paint that will chip and scrape off again so I decided to grind it down and then cover it with rocker guard so it would have something a little more durable. And I can always color match over top of it if I choose to.

72117719_407032713292156_8859811868521267200_n.jpg

71870671_394087487934297_1734984887129079808_n.jpg

After the grinding and hand sanding I added 2 coats of Rustoleum primer.
71697280_416565605692903_7001809647631859712_n.jpg

And you really only need 1 coat of rocker guard cause this stuff is so thick and messy. But if you wanted that extra protection or for it to have a more textured look you could add a second.
**I will add!!!* If you're crazy like me and decide to use this stuff be careful because when it's wet it will run really easy and can drip down onto the body!**
72097398_516586965572772_5194514480653926400_n.jpg

71323382_1407613502723017_6408954502648430592_n.jpg

It was a toss up between spray on bed liner or rocker guard and I picked the rocker guard just because I've used it before, and I know it works well with color matched paint, whereas I wasn't sure how the paint would stick to something more like a bedliner.

I still have the mirrors and a few hinges to do, and I'll do pretty much the same process with them. They seem to be extra prone to paint flaking. Mind you my clear coat is wrecked so that probably plays a part in it.
71811933_1354051154758636_3640402395915091968_n.jpg

71573673_2789659787927034_2404486867425689600_n.jpg

71959016_712354595948682_6584948771946233856_n.jpg

I also traded my hard top for a soft top in really good shape! My hard top had a crack in the plastic at the front on the corner, and the back window was replaced with black pexiglass and was also cracked and held together with black tape. And my personal preference is always a soft top so it was a win in my books! It's not the same spice color as my last one, it's more of a light brown.

Everything is reassembled and good to go. I'm curious to see how the rocker guard holds up.

I left the windshield brackets black for now but color matched the hood hinges.
20191005_184540.jpg

And the new soft top installed
20191005_184441.jpg

And the next time I post pictures will be after all the welding and floor work are done and then it'll be on to sound proofing and putting the interior back together.

Reactions: reddvltj