A Jurassic Overland Dream

Some day when I'm rich and famous!! Haha I'll remember that for sure. This here is just gonna be my fun adventure rig with no regards to screen accuracy lol but some day I do want to build something screen accurate and car show worthy so I'll keep importing in mind as an option.
Having a project to look forward to certainly takes your mind off of your problems. My family has been dealing with a medical crisis for over a year now and sometimes I just like to zone out and sand/paint/tinker when I feel overwhelmed.

Having a project to look forward to certainly takes your mind off of your problems. My family has been dealing with a medical crisis for over a year now and sometimes I just like to zone out and sand/paint/tinker when I feel overwhelmed.

It's amazing how much just having a hobby can help take some of the pressure off. Even if that hobby gets expensive sometimes haha

I agree. Not saying I would have bought one cause $$$ lol but they would have made a good profit.

The Jurassic World Live show did up a TJ and it turned out pretty good. It's even electric. One of the reviews said you couldnt even hear it drive on stage.
View attachment 117746

I'd like to find out what light bar that is, I'd like to have one for mine.
WHAT!? This jeep is so sick, id like to see the build details!!! Full ev jeep TJ would be so cool.

Well the rust bucket is under the knife so I've been doing some window shopping this week. Every year I do something selfish and buy myself something expensive for Christmas, last year was some Power Rangers prop replicas (Dont judge me), and this year I decided I'll buy myself my lift.

After doing some reading around I think I'll go with the OME 2" lift with the HD springs. The reviews seem pretty good all around, it's in my budget, and I'm happy with my 31" tire size, at the most I'd go 32". Christmas is gonna be good this year lol
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_002X_PG.htm

Well the rust bucket is under the knife so I've been doing some window shopping this week. Every year I do something selfish and buy myself something expensive for Christmas, last year was some Power Rangers prop replicas (Dont judge me), and this year I decided I'll buy myself my lift.

After doing some reading around I think I'll go with the OME 2" lift with the HD springs. The reviews seem pretty good all around, it's in my budget, and I'm happy with my 31" tire size, at the most I'd go 32". Christmas is gonna be good this year lol
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_002X_PG.htm

Most of us that do the OME lift only use their springs and buy Rancho RS5000x shocks - OME changed their shocks to be a little harsher than the well acclaimed previous version. It should save you a little coin too. I got my springs for 175 (front), 80 (rear), and 200 for the ranchos. The only thing needed on top was the trackbar relo bracket or an adjustable track bar.

Keeping your tire size to 31/32 you may be able to get away without changing your bump stops. However be sure to check the rear, especially if you use the relocation bracket - it can hit the gas harness.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Most of us that do the OME lift only use their springs and buy Rancho RS5000x shocks - OME changed their shocks to be a little harsher than the well acclaimed previous version. It should save you a little coin too. I got my springs for 175 (front), 80 (rear), and 200 for the ranchos. The only thing needed on top was the trackbar relo bracket or an adjustable track bar.

Keeping your tire size to 31/32 you may be able to get away without changing your bump stops. However be sure to check the rear, especially if you use the relocation bracket - it can hit the gas harness.

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty new with lifts so just a little clarification.

Instead of buying the kit in the link I posted, I should just buy the front and rear springs:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4XX_PG.htm
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4XX_A_PG.htm

And the trackbar bracket
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_1142.htm

And then pick up some Rancho shocks and I should be good to go?

For the front springs the options are 2" stock light load, and 1.5" heavy load.
And rears are 2.5" light load or 2" medium heavy.

Might be a dumb question but I'm guessing I'd want the 2" for the front, and 2.5" for the rear, for the 2" or so of lift I'm looking for?

2933's front
2942's rear.
Consider getting a pair of their 10mm spring spacers for up front to level out the rake.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MInvv8t7qS5QIVjNdkCh3K8An1EAQYASABEgJKRPD_BwE
The Ranchos run a bit long for the advertised lift height recommendation, so since you are sticking with 31's you might want to consider getting the 0" lift height shocks, otherwise you will need to add more bump stop extensions so as not to bottom out the shocks on compression.

RS55240/RS55128.

The only way to know for sure is to cycle the suspension with springs removed to see how long a shock you can get away with.

Note, this isn't a definitive list nor 100% all the things you should buy - but everything I recall installing for the lift...

Here's the list of things I bought and netted >2" of lift (most guys do with the OME springs). I went with the HD since I have a winch, after market bumpers, larger spare tire, and carry tools on the trail. Generally you won't likely notice a ride difference of HD vs standard rate springs, but it can help support more if you carry more (or tow).
And as follow up items, you may need:
  • Front Swaybar links - I went to an Antirock, so can't recommend any
  • Rear Swaybar Links (check your geometry before buying, they may not be required) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y2JTJRV/?tag=wranglerorg-20
  • Added bump stops - this you have to cycle your suspension to know
  • Spacers to level the rig - I have 0.75" ones that I haven't installed yet

@bobthetj03 is more experienced than me - so it may be prudent to pay attention to his bit on the shock lengths and get shorter ones to avoid bottoming them out before you used up all your travel.

2933's front
2942's rear.
Consider getting a pair of their 10mm spring spacers for up front to level out the rake.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MInvv8t7qS5QIVjNdkCh3K8An1EAQYASABEgJKRPD_BwE
The Ranchos run a bit long for the advertised lift height recommendation, so since you are sticking with 31's you might want to consider getting the 0" lift height shocks, otherwise you will need to add more bump stop extensions so as not to bottom out the shocks on compression.

RS55240/RS55128.

The only way to know for sure is to cycle the suspension with springs removed to see how long a shock you can get away with.

Ohh ok, so the 1.5" for the front and 2" for the rear.
I was gonna ask about the spacers because I saw some people use them and some don't. And for the price it's worth grabbing a couple anyway.

Do you think the 0" would still be alright if I decided to throw on a set of 32's at some point? This is my first time really putting together a lift so I'm paranoid about getting everything put together and be left sitting lower than I'd hoped/expected lol

The beginners guide to lifting thread says I should be buying a SYE, upper rear adjustable control arms and a DC driveshaft. Is this the necessary route? I see a transfer case drop is another option.

Note, this isn't a definitive list nor 100% all the things you should buy - but everything I recall installing for the lift...

Here's the list of things I bought and netted >2" of lift (most guys do with the OME springs). I went with the HD since I have a winch, after market bumpers, larger spare tire, and carry tools on the trail. Generally you won't likely notice a ride difference of HD vs standard rate springs, but it can help support more if you carry more (or tow).

Thanks!! That list will come in handy big time and saves me a lot of headache and "I hope this is right" moments haha

I should note, I am in an LJ, so my driveline consideration is a little different than your TJ. If so, you may need a few added things that make the pinion angle happy (I am just not sure so can't really comment).

Ohh ok, so the 1.5" for the front and 2" for the rear.
I was gonna ask about the spacers because I saw some people use them and some don't. And for the price it's worth grabbing a couple anyway.

Do you think the 0" would still be alright if I decided to throw on a set of 32's at some point? This is my first time really putting together a lift so I'm paranoid about getting everything put together and be left sitting lower than I'd hoped/expected lol

The beginners guide to lifting thread says I should be buying a SYE, upper rear adjustable control arms and a DC driveshaft. Is this the necessary route? I see a transfer case drop is another option.

Your goal is to have as much shock uptravel as possible and to try to maintain a 50/50 travel bias to allow the shock to do it's job at dampening. As tire size increases, so does the chance that your tires may make contact with the inner fenders, so adding more bump stop is the result. From my experiences (I have ran 31's, 32's, and currently 33's), I needed 1" bump stop extensions in the rear to keep the TB relocation bracket from hitting the tub and fuel lines and no added extensions up front for 31's. 32's required 1" extensions up front to keep the tires out of the fenders.

As far a the SYE setup, you won't know until you lift it whether you will have vibes or not. TJ's are all a bit different and react differently to change. Some have vibes after and some don't. A small t-case drop may be required, or you can add a 1" motor mount lift to quell the vibes, or maybe even a combination of both. The SYE is the proper way to do it, but not always necessary.

Your goal is to have as much shock uptravel as possible and to try to maintain a 50/50 travel bias to allow the shock to do it's job at dampening. As tire size increases, so does the chance that your tires may make contact with the inner fenders, so adding more bump stop is the result. From my experiences (I have ran 31's, 32's, and currently 33's), I needed 1" bump stop extensions in the rear to keep the TB relocation bracket from hitting the tub and fuel lines and no added extensions up front for 31's. 32's required 1" extensions up front to keep the tires out of the fenders.

As far a the SYE setup, you won't know until you lift it whether you will have vibes or not. TJ's are all a bit different and react differently to change. Some have vibes after and some don't. A small t-case drop may be required, or you can add a 1" motor mount lift to quell the vibes, or maybe even a combination of both. The SYE is the proper way to do it, but not always necessary.

Ok I must be getting better because I understood about 50% of that! haha Thanks for the information. I've still got a lot of learning and reading to do on all of this, but that information will be extremely nice to have while I'm doing the lift and everything. It's a bit easier to understand now.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Everyones favorite kind of update, a no picture update!!
The Jeep is still in the garage, the frame and body mounts are done and the passenger side floor is finished. I had a couple days in the hospital this week so a huge shout out to my buddy who tackled the floor for me this week.

No surprise but once he started cutting, as you can imagine there wasn't much left to weld to and in the end he basically rebuilt the entire passenger side floor from scratch and he did an amazing job!

I'll get some pictures in a day or two once we bring it home, but I'm just excited to see a light at the end of the tunnel and I can start working on some more of the fun aspects of the Jeep.

Plus ya know being water tight and not having to worry about my Jeep disintegrating beneath my feet is a HUGE weight off my shoulders lol

Ok here's some random shots just so this update has something to look at lol

70006700_10220035561263420_8363276639370477568_o.jpg

67485750_10219748303522156_2539329951253921792_n.jpg

69158765_10219965581593972_3167355153200185344_n.jpg

The one usually riding shot gun with me. Hopper, he came from a rescue in Tennesse and made the trip up here to the great white north this summer when we adopted him in August.
70172234_10220098930247605_8523599187185500160_n.jpg

Also as far as rust prevention goes, I've been looking at the POR-15 that everyone recommends.

But I can't seem to buy it online because as soon as I enter my shipping info I get "Orders with hazardous items, or items marked ships ground cannot be shipped to your location. "

I found this stuff and it seems to be the same product just a different brand, I'm not sure how well it compares to POR-15 but it's a lot more readily available. I'll probably still use the POR-15 metal prep and degreaser though because those can ship here no problem.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-rust-killer-236-ml-0477957p.html#spc
I can get POR-15 here but the mark up is crazy, almost $80 for a quart as opposed to $48 on Jegs.

• Wow

Yeah but for $100 a quart I'd just buy POR-15 I think instead if I was going to spend that much.

I looked into the Rustcheck stuff and I think it would hold up well. It's really popular up here in Canada in shops and garages to the point you can get an actual "rust check" done where they do the whole 9 yards on your vehicle and slap a "Rustchecked this date:" sticker on the windshield. I asked a couple mechanic buddies of mine and they say it's good stuff.

Wow! shipping to you guys is criminal! $37 a quart here in the states.

That's not shipping, that's just the mark up. $99 a quart and shipping is only like $5. At least from the link you posted.

Edit: I did find another link on there for $65 a quart and free shipping which isn't too bad. But now that I researched the Rustcheck some more I think that will be the route I'll go.

Reactions: bobthetj03