A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

Is that Deep Amethyst Pearl / PCN? Thats the color of mine which needs paint but I'm afraid of the metallic. Looks like yours went well.
Yes….pcn

It came out pretty well. I put the TJ on its side and learned a lot about painting in the repair process. I ended up doing grille, hood, cowl and w/s frame. Body work is easy, but painting is chemistry.

Reactions: carrotman
I understand that. To do half doors wouldn’t be bad , but it’s not economical to rattle can a panel or armor. Not very much material in a can.

No rattle can for me. I'm starting with a quart of their mixed paint, which I'll spray with my HVLP gun. I'm not really worried about the paint, more so the clear. I've had varying degrees of luck over the years when trying different clears. Some have laid down nicely, others, not so much. We'll see here!

Last edited:
No rattle can for me. I'm starting with a quart of their mixed paint, which I'll spray with my HVLP gun. I'm not really worried about the paint, more so the clear. I've had varying degrees of luck over the years when trying different clears. Some have laid down nicely, others, not so much. We'll see here!

A couple of things I learned. With metallic paint, consistency is key. Maintain distance from surfaces, speed and air pressure. Three coats of color and then don’t touch it. If you want more sparkle do a drop coat (like a final mist coat). If you touch the color coat it will cause the flakes to lay down inconsistently. Let it flash off . Shoot two wet coats of 2x clear. Clear can be cut , sanded and buffed out but color can’t.

I’ll have to try my luck with paint at some point soon here. I’m doing patch panels and new fenders. I’d love a good “diy sprayer job” thread for paint rookies!

That would be good. There a lot to be learned. There are some people who are great at documenting what is hey do. I am not in that group. There is a guy on that one video channel call “ Paint Society “. I learned quite a bit from him.

That would be good. There a lot to be learned. There are some people who are great at documenting what is hey do. I am not in that group. There is a guy on that one video channel call “ Paint Society “. I learned quite a bit from him.

paint society is a great channel. I seem to review his channel before every project, since I don't do it all that often.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman

paint society is a great channel. I seem to review his channel before every project, since I don't do it all that often.

3x his content is how I’ve learned to paint and I’ve been happy with the results of my last few projects.

Finally painted my 1/2 doors and I'm happy with how they turned out. After the paint I installed new door weatherstripping and new DL-22 door locks. The doors I have are from a 1998 and I learned that the locks are different.

Also painted and installed a set of UCF windshield frame armor. All this is being done so I can take the TJ wheeling next week. I've got 4 days planned at Rausch and AOAA. Wheeling tires are on and I'm ready to go!

20240615_143405.jpg

20240615_143442.jpg

20240615_143455.jpg

Last edited: