A little string to lock the tail gate

A few people asked about this so I thought I’d show a few pics on how to lock the tailgate without having to use the key, just a tug on the string and the gate is locked.
I first did this mod within a week of buying my first new TJ back in 2000 and on every TJ I’ve owned since.

Pictures are self explanatory.

View attachment 120382View attachment 120383View attachment 120384
What a wonderful idea...... i alwas have the gate locked. When i open it i never leave the keys in the lock so after i shut it i have to put down what ever i took out and relock it.

Next time I get the jeep in for maintenance it will be on the list.

It is an "Electric Life" lock kit for the TJ. I think I got mine from Jegs. You need to get the basic 2-door kit and add a third actuator for the tailgate. You can install it with a keyless entry system if you want. I installed only the electric locks without the keyless entry. I installed electric window winders at the same time as the locks.

Reactions: reddvltj
It is an "Electric Life" lock kit for the TJ. I think I got mine from Jegs. You need to get the basic 2-door kit and add a third actuator for the tailgate. You can install it with a keyless entry system if you want. I installed only the electric locks without the keyless entry. I installed electric window winders at the same time as the locks.
Thanks for the info!!

So you get in it , lock the gate , the top is down , and it starts pouring rain .

What are you gonna do then?

Y'all just mail my check to me .

This a great idea. Gate is open, tug the strong to lock and then close the gate.
I am soft top only and have a Tuffy rear security deck so I always lock the rear gate. Going to do this this weekend!

Reactions: srimes