A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Made a pretty good score today. Part of my build plan had always been to swap the 5 speed for an auto. So I've been scanning the face suck marketplace, looking off and on. Hit an ad yesterday that I had to jump on. Got a 42RLE with the dip stick, T/C, access plate, shifter bezel, and the radiator for a song. Local too, about 10 miles away. The transmission was rebuilt/upgraded about 30,000 miles ago. It was living in an LJ behind a 4.0 with a banks turbo. Guy that I bought it from sold the turbo setup and paid for an LS witha 4l60e.

This is a project that isn't high priority right now. I have a LOT of other stuff going on, so I'll just start accumulating parts. I will send some fluid to Blackstone from analysis, though I don't expect issues. The fluid that spilled while I was moving it around is bright red and looks brand new.

View attachment 310649
View attachment 310650

Welcome to the dark side. Order those 5.38s, you'll probably get them just in time when you are ready to swap sometime later. You'll need them 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
I broke my rule about not driving the Jeep in the winter today. Managed to catch a really nice sunrise pulling into work. The way the sun ray was shooting straight up into the air was incredible.

IMG_20220225_073237654_MP_exported_1199~2.jpg

IMG_20220225_073251423_MP.jpg

Reactions: Mike_H
I was doing some grim jeeper comparisons. Even with 5.38s, it's only like 2500 rpm at 70!

Put your actual hub height *2 .. it will be a little better than that :)

But yes, welcome to the 42RLE deep gears life :ROFLMAO:

I doubt that given all the work you look to have done, unless this is the donor...! I have a buddy in GR and he uses his trail rig 4runner sparingly in the winter months.
I found a little hole behind the skid plate on my driver's side at the end of summer. It bummed me out for a bit, so I had to take a Jeep break. But I've got a plan now to fix it. And, as I fall victim too, scope bloat is taking over, so the ol girl will be getting reworked frame sections, reworked skid plate, a couple new cross members, and an auto transmission.

Thanks to @Wildman, I have another piece of the puzzle. View attachment 312232

I'm very glad I could help out with this part of your project. Plus it gets these parts out of my garage.... :D

As you go along if there is anything else I might have let me know and it's yours.

My low priority project to swap a 42rle into my Jeep is kinda getting moved along at a fairly good clip. While my wife has been watching murder mysteries on the man hating channels, I've been scouting Facebook, looking for another man's junk. I have been pretty successful too. Got a good load from Davey's jeeps tonight, consisting of the flex plate, TCM bracket, both cables, the OD switch, and the auto brake pedal. That all came to be for about 200 shipped. He also had a harness, but wanted 450. I passed on that.

I found a guy in Wisconsin who was posting a few jeeps. One of them was an 03 Rubicon with an auto. Bingo! 250 for the whole harness (engine and dash). So, that is one the way.. Should be soon. I hope anyway... First time I've done Facebook pay... Guy has good ratings though and seemed like a decent dude through text.

Got a set of transmission lines (new) from @ModerndayMuffler. The forum discount was much appreciated and the lines look really nice.

I did have to buy some new hardware for the flex plate though. That was painful. A set of ARP bolts to hold the flex plate to the crank. 35 bucks or something for 6 bolts. Then, I went to the dealer for the pilot bushing and t/c to flex plate bolts... Another 38 bucks...

I think the only thing I'm missing is a TCM and transmission mount at this point.

I am going to wait for install though. When I do this, I'm going to do some reconfiguring of my skid. I'd like to build a cross member and see how much more room I can gain underneath. Plus, I have to replace some steel in the frame so... I'll tear it apart once and get it all done.

IMG_20220302_192933016.jpg
IMG_20220302_193505626.jpg
IMG_20220302_193210395.jpg

My low priority project to swap a 42rle into my Jeep is kinda getting moved along at a fairly good clip. While my wife has been watching murder mysteries on the man hating channels, I've been scouting Facebook, looking for another man's junk. I have been pretty successful too. Got a good load from Davey's jeeps tonight, consisting of the flex plate, TCM bracket, both cables, the OD switch, and the auto brake pedal. That all came to be for about 200 shipped. He also had a harness, but wanted 450. I passed on that.

I found a guy in Wisconsin who was posting a few jeeps. One of them was an 03 Rubicon with an auto. Bingo! 250 for the whole harness (engine and dash). So, that is one the way.. Should be soon. I hope anyway... First time I've done Facebook pay... Guy has good ratings though and seemed like a decent dude through text.

Got a set of transmission lines (new) from @ModerndayMuffler. The forum discount was much appreciated and the lines look really nice.

I did have to buy some new hardware for the flex plate though. That was painful. A set of ARP bolts to hold the flex plate to the crank. 35 bucks or something for 6 bolts. Then, I went to the dealer for the pilot bushing and t/c to flex plate bolts... Another 38 bucks...

I think the only thing I'm missing is a TCM and transmission mount at this point.

I am going to wait for install though. When I do this, I'm going to do some reconfiguring of my skid. I'd like to build a cross member and see how much more room I can gain underneath. Plus, I have to replace some steel in the frame so... I'll tear it apart once and get it all done.

View attachment 313159View attachment 313160View attachment 313161
Davey's was really good to me when I ordered the parts I needed. I couldn't get the interlock cable solenoid to energize though. Not sure if the solenoid is defective or if the proper signal was getting to the wiring; it's connected at the brake lamp switch. It was cold and windy that day so I didn't investigate further with my DMM. Nice shiny bracket you have on the end of your interlock cable ;)

My plan is to take next week off and finish this project. I didn't realize you had delved into it as well. I'm trying to be better at reading all the different build threads, I just finished yours.

Zorba would not be pleased....

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr and Wildman
Hey Mike, are you swapping to the 42RLE mostly for the rock crawling benefits? Sorry if I missed your explanation from earlier. I never really stopped to think about all the small details that are different between the manual and auto Jeeps. That project is more extensive than I realized.

Reactions: Mike_H and Wildman
Hey Mike, are you swapping to the 42RLE mostly for the rock crawling benefits? Sorry if I missed your explanation from earlier. I never really stopped to think about all the small details that are different between the manual and auto Jeeps. That project is more extensive than I realized.
Yeah, mostly that. Plus, My manual is getting hard to shift, so I need to do something to the transmission. The NV3550 is tough to find parts for and not a lot of knowledge out there to rebuild. AX-15 are proven and lot out there to pick from, but the ratios are not as favorable. So, I'm taking the opportunity to "upgrade." The novelty of a manual has worn off too. I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm tired of shifting, tired of the noise from the case, tired of the three pedal tango, etc.

Yeah, mostly that. Plus, My manual is getting hard to shift, so I need to do something to the transmission. The NV3550 is tough to find parts for and not a lot of knowledge out there to rebuild. AX-15 are proven and lot out there to pick from, but the ratios are not as favorable. So, I'm taking the opportunity to "upgrade." The novelty of a manual has worn off too. I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm tired of shifting, tired of the noise from the case, tired of the three pedal tango, etc.
If my 6-speed transmission gets bad in any gear beyond Reverse I’ll do an auto swap. 42rle most likely due to the fact they made it in 05. I’d need to regear though! Nice work collecting parts Mike! You’re almost there. This will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
The novelty of a manual has worn off too. I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm tired of shifting, tired of the noise from the case, tired of the three pedal tango, etc.
My thoughts exactly. On country roads I can see the benefit of a manual but around town with the low gearing it gets old quick.

Reactions: Wildman