A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Took the first step toward my end game tonight. Buddy of mine wanted my anti-rock, so I drove over to his house to switch that over and install my sway lock. Pretty simple process... Getting the outer bar through the bushings is something I'm glad I don't have to do often.

First impressions... Wow. It fixed a bunch of little, irritating behaviors that my Jeep was exhibiting. Very glad I sprung for this upgrade. Cornering is nice and flat, there isn't any sway or rocking back and forth on uneven pavement, the shocks seem to work better. It's a dramatic difference.
Would like to see a writeup on swapping AR for SL. Maybe as I keep reading your build it will pop. Strongly considering this swap.

Mike and @bobthetj03, I found a box of brand new assorted MC joints in one of my parts piles. I picked these up years ago for a project, but never used them. Let me know if you need something and I'll take a look at specifically what's there. No guarantees I'll have exactly what you need, but if I do, I'm happy to send them your way as giveback!

Rich

Mike and @bobthetj03, I found a box of brand new assorted MC joints in one of my parts piles. I picked these up years ago for a project, but never used them. Let me know if you need something and I'll take a look at specifically what's there. No guarantees I'll have exactly what you need, but if I do, I'm happy to send them your way as giveback!

Rich
Generous offer! I'll Defer to @bobthetj03. I'm running Currie Joints...The only reason I'd try a MC joint is just to see how they work after prolonged exposure to mud and the other nasty stuff we have here.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Generous offer! I'll Defer to @bobthetj03. I'm running Currie Joints...The only reason I'd try a MC joint is just to see how they work after prolonged exposure to mud and the other nasty stuff we have here.
I saw that, however, I know how you like to compare. The offer is there, should you desire some samples. Truth be told, I ran the MC joints for 8+ years in the VA clay and mud. Granted I didn't put a lot of miles on them during that time, but I never had a joint squeak problem and didn't have to grease them once. After reading the stuff about clay effecting the JJs, I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be an issue. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Mike_H
The grease that they include with the MC joints looks and feels suspiciously like that Energy Suspension grease they include with the Swayloc. Just an observation.

Reactions: JMT
Do you have any update regarding the shocks?

Any problems since you installed the new SkyJacker Blackmax shocks?
I replaced them with the same. So far so good, but I don't have a ton of miles on them yet. Its too bad the quality is so hit or miss, because they do ride rather nice.

Reactions: bobthetj03 and TJim
Not much going on over here, Jeep related. Poor girl is sitting out in the cold, shivering, while I use my shop to do house projects. I did go into the woods a couple weekends ago, got some snow wheeling in. It was a nice easy day on two tracks with no real challenging terrain, but fun nonetheless. I did get into a sneaky deep mudpit along a powerline easement...thankfully it was short and I was able to power through it. I was NOT relishing the thought of getting out into the iced over water in 10 degree weather!

200.gif

Couple pics of the day...

1643713707157.png

Little hill climb we found. I tried without my lockers first...just screwing around, really. Short, steep hill. I apologize for the portrait mode camera angle...my buddy filming isn't the best photographer!

I have been researching regearing my axles. That is the next step. I'm still rollin the factory 4.10's. I figure before I go changing a bunch of other drivetrain related stuff to "fix" some issues I have related to wheelspeed and the 4 to 1 transfercase, I probably should regear my axles to help the 4.0 be all it can be. I have a set of 4.88s sitting here that were used for a few thousand miles. I'm debating with myself if they will be deep enough though. More research is necessary. It could just come down to supply though...

I might regret this...but I took a chance. I really like the factory flares on the TJ. After my last trip to drummond, I damaged my rear Driver's flare when my wheel fell off. They also tend to get in the way once you get 35's and start working on that uptravel. I really don't like any of the aftermarket fender options (or, more precisely, their cost). Genrights are OK, Metalcloak are OK (gasp, I know), and some others. I also don't want such a rigid fender up there, as there is a VERY good chance of me leaning my jeep up against a tree while I'm out in the woods here. So, MCEs are an option...but I didn't really want to cut my fenders up. I like the turn signals up front there...so they are out. I had kinda settled on the Xenon Flat flares...but MAN they want a lot of money for what they are. Today, a thread popped up

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/urethane-flat-fender-flares.56309/
So, I took a look at the website and bought a set with the 3/4" side markers. Not sure I'll use em (the lights), but they were only 15 dollars extra. The flares are Made in USA, Designed in USA. Looking at how they mount, they should be pretty sacrificial if the worst should happen. I've seen some complaints about the surface quality on them, but I'm a fan of the low texture bedliner on my current flares, so I'll probably do the same for these. Will obviously post some pictures once they are installed.

I might regret this...but I took a chance. I really like the factory flares on the TJ. After my last trip to drummond, I damaged my rear Driver's flare when my wheel fell off. They also tend to get in the way once you get 35's and start working on that uptravel. I really don't like any of the aftermarket fender options (or, more precisely, their cost). Genrights are OK, Metalcloak are OK (gasp, I know), and some others. I also don't want such a rigid fender up there, as there is a VERY good chance of me leaning my jeep up against a tree while I'm out in the woods here. So, MCEs are an option...but I didn't really want to cut my fenders up. I like the turn signals up front there...so they are out. I had kinda settled on the Xenon Flat flares...but MAN they want a lot of money for what they are. Today, a thread popped up

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/urethane-flat-fender-flares.56309/
So, I took a look at the website and bought a set with the 3/4" side markers. Not sure I'll use em (the lights), but they were only 15 dollars extra. The flares are Made in USA, Designed in USA. Looking at how they mount, they should be pretty sacrificial if the worst should happen. I've seen some complaints about the surface quality on them, but I'm a fan of the low texture bedliner on my current flares, so I'll probably do the same for these. Will obviously post some pictures once they are installed.

I apologize for being too lazy to figure out how to pack those two rear flares I picked up on the cheap for you :(

If those don't work out, let me know and I will get the empty LCD TV box from my buddy's garage and see if they will fit. That was my plan originally but I got lazy 😐

I apologize for being too lazy to figure out how to pack those two rear flares I picked up on the cheap for you :(

If those don't work out, let me know and I will get the empty LCD TV box from my buddy's garage and see if they will fit. That was my plan originally but I got lazy 😐
That's ok. TBH, I didn't push ya because I don't like the tires catching the flares anyway. I'll keep the ones I have, see if I can repair em, and just hold on to them. If I mess one up... We might need to figure out how to ship them after all!

Reactions: psrivats
If you tape up 2 flares and wrap them in packing wrap, you could slap a label on them and ship them that way. That's how I got my Rubi flares from some fellow jeepers.

If you tape up 2 flares and wrap them in packing wrap, you could slap a label on them and ship them that way. That's how I got my Rubi flares from some fellow jeepers.

:unsure: that worked?

@Mike_H let me know if you want me to try .. I would love to see the look on UPS/FedEx folks' faces when I go in with that :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
My new flares were delivered a couple days ago. I unpacked em tonight, laid them out and took a good look at them. They have a nice finish on the outside. Nice and smooth without any tooling marks. There is a little bit of flash where the parting line is, but TBH, I expected that. Its nothing a quick hit with the sander won't take care of. Couple of blemishes on the insides of the flares...nothing major though. Some small pinholes that will be easy to fill. The included hardware looks decent. I replaced the factory crap a long time ago with some nice stainless screws and fender washers, so I'll probably continue using my current hardware, but its nice that they provided new. Some pics

1645156189862.png

1645156201985.png

The hardware kit. Screws, washers, and a bunch of plastic anchor/locks. Also I paid an extra 15 bucks for the 3/4" side markers. Not sure I'll use em, but, they were cheap and if I do use them, it will give me an opportunity to fix the alternating ground issue that prevents me from running full LED lights.

1645156217888.png

Some of the minor issues I found.

Pinholes. This is taken with Macro mode...so they are much smaller than they appear in the picture. True Pin-holes. You can also see the parting line flash along the "edge" of the radiused profile

1645156392195.png

Another picture of P/L flash. The little dots here are just dirt and debris, not pinholes.

1645156461527.png

Will post more as I start cleaning and painting. I'm also hoping to have a big update here in a couple days. I found something I've been thinking about for a while now.

Just read through the thread, Nice build ya got man, one day I'll make the jump to 35s... one day......

And if I read the last few posts right it sounds like you're gonna have some spare Rubi flares laying around 🧐, if that is correct than what are your intentions with them? I am in need of a front passenger Rubi/Sahara flare. (my Jeeps PO had a fender bender and had to replace the said flare with a stock sized one)

Reactions: Wildman
Just read through the thread, Nice build ya got man, one day I'll make the jump to 35s... one day......

And if I read the last few posts right it sounds like you're gonna have some spare Rubi flares laying around 🧐, if that is correct than what are your intentions with them? I am in need of a front passenger Rubi/Sahara flare. (my Jeeps PO had a fender bender and had to replace the said flare with a stock sized one)
Thanks. For now, I'm going to keep the flares. I'm not 100 percent sold on the flat flare style, but it will help with tire rub.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
Made a pretty good score today. Part of my build plan had always been to swap the 5 speed for an auto. So I've been scanning the face suck marketplace, looking off and on. Hit an ad yesterday that I had to jump on. Got a 42RLE with the dip stick, T/C, access plate, shifter bezel, and the radiator for a song. Local too, about 10 miles away. The transmission was rebuilt/upgraded about 30,000 miles ago. It was living in an LJ behind a 4.0 with a banks turbo. Guy that I bought it from sold the turbo setup and paid for an LS witha 4l60e.

This is a project that isn't high priority right now. I have a LOT of other stuff going on, so I'll just start accumulating parts. I will send some fluid to Blackstone from analysis, though I don't expect issues. The fluid that spilled while I was moving it around is bright red and looks brand new.

IMG_20220218_215157436.jpg

IMG_20220218_215254154.jpg