A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

I'm hesitant to respond because I'm still not convinced you're not messing with me 🤣
IMG_20211028_212924430.jpg

Finished up all the little detail work today and took her for a drive. A good friend has to take her truck in for major engine service (apparently Dodge rams with a Hemi can eat camshafts) so she is going to borrow my wife's car for a week...which means the wife will be driving my truck and I'll be using the Wrangler as my DD. Anyway, This was my first drive with the Centramatics installed. They are are amazing...I've never felt such a smooth ride. I still think they are ugly as sin...Gotta figure that part out, but I'm going to continue running them.

I'm continuing to improve the steering. Minor adjustment to toe made it incrementally better. Next step is to pull the front DS and dial in some more caster to see if the remaining "dartiness" is from a lack of caster angle. All in all, I'm amazed by how good this thing is getting, even though its taller, with bigger, heavier tires. I can't wait till I have enough free time to gear it properly (still running 4.10's :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). I did notice a squeak from one of my rear control arms too... :mad: :mad: :mad: I'll have to dig into that. Its starting to bug me...Its just one though, so I'm hopeful that the grease is holding up.

Well, Shit.

Found this tonight, going over the rig before a wheeling trip this weekend...

CwIfjbuKnok4BfYu9NnBURYmtg=w878-h658-no?authuser=0.jpg

Other side is broken too
S9LGsaSlBUBJfUXg5H3C3XpcSQ=w494-h658-no?authuser=0.jpg

Honestly, I'm not super surprised the factory mount is letting go. I fabbed up my own mount and welded it to the top of the factory bracket. Looking at the bracket now, I see rust has taken its toll. So, I'll need to get that all cut off there and build something to hold the track bar that is solid mounted to the UCA mount and the axle. This does explain the weird clunking I've been hearing the last couple days...and maybe a little bit of the dartiness I've been feeling in the steering...

And...Unless I take tomorrow off work...I won't be going wheeling Saturday. Damn...

Last edited:
Took a half day today to get my Jeep back road worthy. Cut off all the old, rusty track bar brackets on my axle.

IMG_20211105_150943521.jpg
IMG_20211105_133007572.jpg

Then I used an old Currie reinforcement bracket that attaches to the axle, by the pumpkin, and a JKS angled bracket. Sliced and diced, cursed at my welder and the weldor, and I have a new, fully welded track bar bracket.

IMG_20211105_184313656.jpg
IMG_20211105_184249718_HDR.jpg

I think I'm gonna call Lincoln though. My gas valve doesn't seem to work at the time when I start. I was getting terrible porosity. Then, all of a sudden, I wasn't. It's very discouraging. I'm not a great weldor, so when things don't go as they should, I get worse trying to figure out what wrong. Then all of a sudden, I'm lying nice, shiny beads.. And a lot of times it's one trigger pull to another.

Same as you, 210mp

I'm starting to wonder if some of my SHITTY welds were due to the wiring issue I have. I'd like to say it's a Lincoln so it's got to be ME but I am starting to wonder.

Hope they can help you out. They have agreed to pay for any parts in the repair of my welder.

Reactions: JMT
Back on her feet and ready to go wheeling tomorrow! Since I had the rear end torn apart, I had an opportunity to switch my springs for some Curries I've had on the shelf. They have about an inch and a half longer free length than the ranchos that were in there.

I also discovered that my black max shocks are blown out... Like the resistance is variable throughout the stroke. Gonna have to call em on Monday and find out what's up with that.

IMG_20211105_230346782.jpg

Last edited:
Back on her feet and ready to go wheeling tomorrow! Since I had the rear end turn apart, I had an opportunity to switch my springs for some Curries I've had on the shelf. They have about an inch and a half longer free length than the ranchos that were in there.

I also discovered that my black max shocks are blown out... Like the resistance is variable throughout the stroke. Gonna have to call em in Monday and find out what's up with that.

View attachment 288745

Didn't you get your shocks fairly recently, Mike? Crazy that they are already getting bad

Reactions: JMT