A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

I might pick that up... It's frustrating to look at those kits because they don't tell you what's included. I'm gun shy of buying another kit that uses shims under the carrier bearings. I have plenty of those... But I can't use em. I might set up the rear that way though.
Yep, you don’t know until you get it and measure everything. If there’s a better way I’m not aware of it.

I got my first pattern... It's too deep. It took me about 7 tries to get backlash correct. I still don't have enough of the right sizes of shims. Plus, I'm learning on the fly, so my first few results didn't jive with what I expected. I think it will get better from now on...

This test was 0.007" backlash and a pinion depth shim of 0.061. View attachment 317802View attachment 317803

Next test will be at 0.050" and I'm still trying to get backlash correct. Right now, I'm at 0.015, so I have to reconfigure my carrier shims. Trying to maintain roughly the same carrier preload, while shifting the carrier side to side is tough with the limited selection of shims I have. Smallest one is 0.012, so I may need to buy some more...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you find yourself 1 or 2 thou off, you can just add to the stack as long as you can still get the locker installed. In other words, if you need to add 3 thou to the left or right but only have a 5 thou shim, then add it and check.

If you find yourself 1 or 2 thou off, you can just add to the stack as long as you can still get the locker installed. In other words, if you need to add 3 thou to the left or right but only have a 5 thou shim, then add it and check.
My smallest shim is 0.012 thou...so its been a struggle. I'm going to try to cut some out of shim stock at work. Who knew getting shims would be such a pain in the ass...

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
Buttoned up my front axle Yesterday. This was my final pattern

1648396700567.png

1648396712668.png

I learned a TON. I'm hoping the rear axle goes a bit quicker...Just having all the parts I'll need at the beginning will be a huge help.

Can't wait to drive it and see what all the fuss is about!

In other news...Monkeying with the front axle...my front shocks are also not consistent throughout their travel. I'm about done with the BlackMax. I'm thinking on, gasp, getting another set of bilsteins. I had them before and have liked them as well as anything. Going to look at lengths and whatnot and see if I can't get a set coming. Be even better if I can find some used ones...cuz eventually I do plan on putting good Foxes on. Just not ready to do that yet. Or...there are enough Fox IFP take-offs from JK's. Maybe I'll pick some of those up and pick @kmas0n's brain a bit on tuning...

In other news...Monkeying with the front axle...my front shocks are also not consistent throughout their travel. I'm about done with the BlackMax. I'm thinking on, gasp, getting another set of bilsteins. I had them before and have liked them as well as anything. Going to look at lengths and whatnot and see if I can't get a set coming. Be even better if I can find some used ones...cuz eventually I do plan on putting good Foxes on. Just not ready to do that yet. Or...there are enough Fox IFP take-offs from JK's. Maybe I'll pick some of those up and pick @kmas0n's brain a bit on tuning...
I don't know much, but I'm happy to share

I don't know much, but I'm happy to share
I seem to remember you revalved some of the performance series shocks. There seems to be a decent selection of used RR performance series shocks from JK's out there. The valving won't be "right" but they are cheap enough (like 250 a pair). Just having someone who's done it before to coach me through disassembly without screwing them up would be great!

I seem to remember you revalved some of the performance series shocks. There seems to be a decent selection of used RR performance series shocks from JK's out there. The valving won't be "right" but they are cheap enough (like 250 a pair). Just having someone who's done it before to coach me through disassembly without screwing them up would be great!
I've rebuilt fox IFP shocks for the JL series jeeps. The ones for the JK and TJ may be different.

On the JL shocks, there is a little little screw that holds the nitrogen charge in. When you unscrew this, the pressure bleeds off.

PXL_20220327_220118130.jpg

There isa tool to refill this, but it's expensive, and impossible to find. I drilled and taped threads to accept a Schrader fill valve.

PXL_20220327_215803333.jpg

The dust cap pops off and the internal snap ring is all that holds these things together.

PXL_20220327_215846413.jpg

The internals of the shock are not much different than a fox 2.0 remote reservoir. The piston is different. But maybe interchangable.

PXL_20220327_215810555.jpg

The shims are the same except for the serrated bleed shim.

PXL_20220327_215815821.jpg

You can easily change the shims to change the way the shock performs. It's not rocket science, but tuning is an art. Hopefully this helps your understand what you're getting into.

I've rebuilt fox IFP shocks for the JL series jeeps. The ones for the JK and TJ may be different.

On the JL shocks, there is a little little screw that holds the nitrogen charge in. When you unscrew this, the pressure bleeds off.

View attachment 318712

There isa tool to refill this, but it's expensive, and impossible to find. I drilled and taped threads to accept a Schrader fill valve.

View attachment 318713

The dust cap pops off and the internal snap ring is all that holds these things together.

View attachment 318716

The internals of the shock are not much different than a fox 2.0 remote reservoir. The piston is different. But maybe interchangable.

View attachment 318715

The shims are the same except for the serrated bleed shim.

View attachment 318714

You can easily change the shims to change the way the shock performs. It's not rocket science, but tuning is an art. Hopefully this helps your understand what you're getting into.
So, these aren't even the Remote Reservoir shocks? Just the Take-offs from the Gladiator or JL? Dang...I'll keep my eyes open. Might be a fun project. We charge accumulators with nitrogen at work, so I have the stuff to replace the charge.

I got the rear axle up on my bench tonight and stripped down for cleaning. Its a mess...You can tell the rear takes MUCH more abuse than the front. All the machined metal parts that are supposed to be shiny silver are black. As per usual...its smelly and gross in there too.

1648521406997.png

I also found that my pass side parking brake is saturated with oil and my drivers side disc pads are wearing very unevenly...so I have new pads for my discs and the parking brake on order.

I also talked with Bilstein a bit about their 4" lift shocks. By their published lengths, they should bolt right into my jeep...Interestingly enough they offer a shock for a long arm lift, and one for a short arm lift. I asked them the difference and it comes down to valving. Their long arm shocks are valved softer than the short arm ones...so I took a gamble and ordered a set off Amazon. I'll wrap em up good to protect them and run them for a few days to see how I like them.

I decided to return the shocks, Mainly because I found a set of take off JL shocks for 300 bucks! Identical to the ones @kmas0n showed above. The are pretty long, 10.5 and 11+inches, so they should work well until I get the itch to do an outboard. I will get them near the end of the month, as the guy has a place in sliver lake and can bring them to me from where he lives.

My regear is about done. I have my depth and backlash established, so now I just need to get everything final installed and the axle back under the Jeep. Hopefully driving this weekend!

IMG_20220405_185052953.jpg
IMG_20220405_185100385.jpg

I decided to return the shocks, Mainly because I found a set of take off JL shocks for 300 bucks! Identical to the ones @kmas0n showed above. The are pretty long, 10.5 and 11+inches, so they should work well until I get the itch to do an outboard. I will get them near the end of the month, as the guy has a place in sliver lake and can bring them to me from where he lives.

My regear is about done. I have my depth and backlash established, so now I just need to get everything final installed and the axle back under the Jeep. Hopefully driving this weekend!

View attachment 321456View attachment 321457
To my uneducated eye, that's looks like a great pattern.