A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Great job.

You tackling these with used gears has inspired me enough to do mine, especially since you’re setting up used ones. Between that and @hosejockey61 video on the Rubi 44, I think I have enough mechanical inclination to do it myself. Just need the right tools.
You can use my press if it helps

Great job.

You tackling these with used gears has inspired me enough to do mine, especially since you’re setting up used ones. Between that and @hosejockey61 video on the Rubi 44, I think I have enough mechanical inclination to do it myself. Just need the right tools.
If I ever redo my gears I'll do it myself after learning so much from Mike too. Behind the scenes of one of the videos I got to ask a lot and learn.

Great job.

You have the patience for it. It's really not hard, per se, it's just tedious and you have to be meticulous with cleaning, taking notes, measuring, etc. You also have to be willing to try again, even when you think it's perfect. Don't be in a hurry, and post pictures for feedback. I also signed up for a group on Facebook that was pretty helpful...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/732975063811349/
Edit:.Watch how "used" the gears are. I only did used gears because I knew who used em, and for how long. I know they were set up right, and not abused. I don't think I'd go through this for gears I get off Facebook

Last edited:
Why do I call this thing MiRustyJeep? Well...I'm in Michigan (Mi) and its a RUSTY EFFING JEEP. I was cleaning up my rear axle tonight to finish my install and noticed a little bit of paint peeling. Well, a little turned into a lot of paint. So...Now I'm stripping all the paint off and repainting it...again. Last time, I used a wire wheel to clean it and then painted with a POR like paint called chassis saver. That stuff is shit. Everywhere I used it, its peeling in sheets. I'm sandblasting it this time and its completely disassembled...so the paint should stick this time. I'll use rust reformer, primer, then a nice satin black topcoat. I might get the spray gun out and use tractor and implement paint...depends what I can find at the farm store tomorrow.

1649464028058.png

I hate rust...

Why do I call this thing MiRustyJeep? Well...I'm in Michigan (Mi) and its a RUSTY EFFING JEEP. I was cleaning up my rear axle tonight to finish my install and noticed a little bit of paint peeling. Well, a little turned into a lot of paint. So...Now I'm stripping all the paint off and repainting it...again. Last time, I used a wire wheel to clean it and then painted with a POR like paint called chassis saver. That stuff is shit. Everywhere I used it, its peeling in sheets. I'm sandblasting it this time and its completely disassembled...so the paint should stick this time. I'll use rust reformer, primer, then a nice satin black topcoat. I might get the spray gun out and use tractor and implement paint...depends what I can find at the farm store tomorrow.

View attachment 321521

I hate rust...

Man .. it is crazy how fast things rust where you are .. and you don't even drive this jeep too much in the winter time ...

Reactions: Mike_H
Man .. it is crazy how fast things rust where you are .. and you don't even drive this jeep too much in the winter time ...
To be fair... When I stripped the original paint and cleaned it up the first time, the metal was raw. Even though I painted it, the paint failed. Once water got under the crappy paint, the steel rusted. It would happen anywhere.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
You live in the wrong part of the country to hate rust my friend. Now that I think of it, who would Like rust? Lol!

To be fair... When I stripped the original paint and cleaned it up the first time, the metal was raw. Even though I painted it, the paint failed. Once water got under the crappy paint, the steel rusted. It would happen anywhere.

Do you have a portable sand blaster? Going to do it in your driveway? I'm asking since I've still got to clean both my axles so I can paint them. I've got a lot of the old paint off but as you know it's a PITA to try and get into all the little crevasse and stuff.

Reactions: Mike_H
Do you have a portable sand blaster? Going to do it in your driveway? I'm asking since I've still got to clean both my axles so I can paint them. I've got a lot of the old paint off but as you know it's a PITA to try and get into all the little crevasse and stuff.
Yeah, I have one of those 35 dollar portables from harbor freight. It's gonna take a little bit, but it works. I have to run to the store tomorrow and buy some more coal slag. I got about half the pumpkin done tonight. Used the grinder on the tubes, where I could. I figure I have a couple hours of sandblasting ahead of me to get it all cleaned up.

Reactions: Wildman
Spent a few hours this morning cleaning the scale and old paint off the axle. What mess.
IMG_20220409_143505825.jpg

IMG_20220409_143514308.jpg

And... Since I only focus on getting the loose, nasty stuff off, there was still some rust in areas that was down in the pits of the casting, or just simply in areas I couldn't get to, even with a sandblaster.

Used some rust reformer as the first coat. I'll follow this up with some 2k epoxy primer, then top coat with ace semi gloss black.

Here's a preview, after rust reformer
IMG_20220409_151147554.jpg
IMG_20220409_151155753.jpg
IMG_20220409_151202096.jpg

@Mike_H have you had a chance to drive the Jeep after the regear? :)
Not quite... The rear axle is still sitting on my floor. I caught a bug, flared my planter fasciitis and have been fighting tennis elbow... Now I'm on vacation in Kentucky.

It's close though. Just need to put it back together

Reactions: psrivats