A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

One of the very, very few things I’ve not done myself on the rig is redoing the wiring harness.

It’s Black Magic!!! Voodoo I tell you!!!

😀

Good on ya, Mate. I’m always impressed by those that dive into harness mods.

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
Started working on my wire harnesses for the auto swap tonight. I want to go through both of them and check them out carefully before they are installed because I don't have the luxury of installing an auto from a known, good, running Jeep. All my parts were bought second hand (well, the big stuff anyway) from places that part Jeeps out and other people I know. The wire harness is one of those things that is taken for granted, until there is a problem. I also need to verify this harness has cruise. Finally, I run my locker pumps in my engine bay since I've done my Tummy Tuck. I'm going to investigate the harness and see if I can re-route those connectors and use shorter wires, instead of running all the way to the T-case, then back to the pumps.

I got the engine/transmission harness and the main trunk that runs along the firewall. It appears that there is an extra connector on the main trunk to handle the TCM communication with the PCM that my manual doesn't have.

Main trunk and Power Distribution Block...I'm excited the PDC was included, because it gives me an extra. One of them will be repurposed into a relay control center for auxiliary lights and whatnot.

View attachment 359525

Here is the engine harness, stretched out on my bench. TCM connector is on the left. Its really dirty, some of the connectors are full of oil, and the corrugated wire wrap is in pretty terrible shape.
View attachment 359521

I have about half of it unwrapped now. I'm using zip ties at every breakout to hold the wires in place and I'm carefully removing and re-installing the Christmas tree pins/zip ties so I can keep them in the same spots. I have about 100 dollars of Tesa fabric tape and braided wire sheathing in 5 different sizes on its way from Amazon. Probably go get some CRC electrical contact cleaner too, to make sure every connection is as good as it can be. I'll inspect for frayed or broken wires too. The whole thing might just get dipped into a tank of simple green and water...I do want it CLEAN, but dipping might be a bit extreme.

View attachment 359522

Tomorrow, I'll see about printing some of the wire diagrams from the service manual so I can start labeling connectors and comparing the installed options to the options present on my Jeep.

As much hobby electronics stuff I have played with .. automobile harnesses kind of freak me out a little with the complexity. It's awesome that you are dipping your feet into the auto swap .. it is no mean feat in any way. Hope it goes well my friend.

How's the injury healing up? No complications I hope.

Reactions: Mike_H and rasband
Started working on my wire harnesses for the auto swap tonight. I want to go through both of them and check them out carefully before they are installed because I don't have the luxury of installing an auto from a known, good, running Jeep. All my parts were bought second hand (well, the big stuff anyway) from places that part Jeeps out and other people I know. The wire harness is one of those things that is taken for granted, until there is a problem. I also need to verify this harness has cruise. Finally, I run my locker pumps in my engine bay since I've done my Tummy Tuck. I'm going to investigate the harness and see if I can re-route those connectors and use shorter wires, instead of running all the way to the T-case, then back to the pumps.

I got the engine/transmission harness and the main trunk that runs along the firewall. It appears that there is an extra connector on the main trunk to handle the TCM communication with the PCM that my manual doesn't have.

Main trunk and Power Distribution Block...I'm excited the PDC was included, because it gives me an extra. One of them will be repurposed into a relay control center for auxiliary lights and whatnot.

View attachment 359525

Here is the engine harness, stretched out on my bench. TCM connector is on the left. Its really dirty, some of the connectors are full of oil, and the corrugated wire wrap is in pretty terrible shape.
View attachment 359521

I have about half of it unwrapped now. I'm using zip ties at every breakout to hold the wires in place and I'm carefully removing and re-installing the Christmas tree pins/zip ties so I can keep them in the same spots. I have about 100 dollars of Tesa fabric tape and braided wire sheathing in 5 different sizes on its way from Amazon. Probably go get some CRC electrical contact cleaner too, to make sure every connection is as good as it can be. I'll inspect for frayed or broken wires too. The whole thing might just get dipped into a tank of simple green and water...I do want it CLEAN, but dipping might be a bit extreme.

View attachment 359522

Tomorrow, I'll see about printing some of the wire diagrams from the service manual so I can start labeling connectors and comparing the installed options to the options present on my Jeep.

I love seeing these projects! They are overwhelming - but it sounds like you're being diligent and will handle it with ease 😀

Reactions: Mike_H
As much hobby electronics stuff I have played with .. automobile harnesses kind of freak me out a little with the complexity. It's awesome that you are dipping your feet into the auto swap .. it is no mean feat in any way. Hope it goes well my friend.

How's the injury healing up? No complications I hope.

Injury is doing well. Stitches came out today and everything is healing like its supposed to. Still a little numbness on the top of my finger between the first and second knuckle, but that's all. Everything else feels normal. Range of motion is increasing (I can kinda type with it again).

And I'm the opposite...I get all nervous nelly when I see a PCB...Wires are just wires...They carry electrons to and fro and nothing else. PCB's have resistors and capacitors, diodes, transistors, amplifiers, inductors, and all kinds of other things that change stuff...and I don't understand what they do well enough to know the changes!

Reactions: Wildman

View attachment 359525

View attachment 359521

View attachment 359522

Looks like you’re already into it, but if not too far I would draw around the harness on some osb so you know what shape to reloom it.

Looks like you’re already into it, but if not too far I would draw around the harness on some osb so you know what shape to reloom it.

The zip ties should keep my breaks in the same spots. What else is there to the shape? Since I haven’t removed my old one yet , I am only going by memory. I haven’t unwrapped anything in the “engine bay” yet either. Only the branch that goes back to the transmission.

The zip ties should keep my breaks in the same spots. What else is there to the shape? Since I haven’t removed my old one yet , I am only going by memory. I haven’t unwrapped anything in the “engine bay” yet either. Only the branch that goes back to the transmission.

It is easy to get it a bit twisted as you're putting it in, that's my only thought there (since my swap wasn't as involved as needing to alter the harness much).

It is easy to get it a bit twisted as you're putting it in, that's my only thought there (since my swap wasn't as involved as needing to alter the harness much).

Yeah, twisting is the thought I had too. I still haven't removed all the cloth wrap on the wires themselves, so its still bundled pretty good. When I do start pulling wires, I was thinking about a piece of cardboard or plywood with some pins in it to hold the harness shape and connector locations so I can make neat and tidy modifications.

Reactions: rasband
I thought the same thing but as you’re ripping it apart is very easy for the wires and different runs to move around and not line up where they used to. The only reason I got away with it was because I had the transmission to lay the harness over and loom it in place. Just thought that would be helpful.

Excited to see the swap happening. I’ll be following along.

Took some time tonight to finish unwrapping the engine and transmission harness. Tomorrow I'll get serious about tagging my connectors and pull the bundling tape. I also want to throw some more zip ties on to denote the area where the plastic covers go on the harness. Happy to report that I haven't broken a single plastic tab so far...so Yeah, our frames rust out around here, but our plastic stays pliable, unlike you guys that have to deal with all that sunshine out west! (HA!).

Side note...I kinda want to buy two TJ's, identical models and years...One from around here and one from the SW. I'll use all the metal parts from the SW Jeep and all the rubber and plastic parts from the one here...best of both worlds!

Anyway, here is an anxiety inducing photo for some of you. If you look closely, you'll see a rough outline of the harness drawn on my cardboard tabletop (thanks for the suggestion, @Jamison C!)

1663378323338.png

Once the connectors are labeled, I'll pull the harness apart to make my locker pump connectors move from the far top right of the photo (the coil of wires) all the way to the lower left. That big chunky connector is the TCM plug. My locker pumps are very close to where that mounts. So...That will be fun! It will be worth it though, due to how much cleaner the wiring will be.

Last edited:
Took some time tonight to finish unwrapping the engine and transmission harness. Tomorrow I'll get serious about tagging my connectors and pull the bundling tape. I also want to throw some more zip ties on to denote the area where the plastic covers go on the harness. Happy to report that I haven't broken a single plastic tab so far...so Yeah, our frames rust out around here, but our plastic stays pliable, unlike you guys that have to deal with all that sunshine out west! (HA!).

Side note...I kinda want to buy two TJ's, identical models and years...One from around here and one from the SW. I'll use all the metal parts from the SW Jeep and all the rubber and plastic parts from the one here...best of both worlds!

Anyway, here is an anxiety inducing photo for some of you. If you look closely, you'll see a rough outline of the harness drawn on my cardboard tabletop (thanks for the suggestion, @Jamison C!)

View attachment 360052

Once the connectors are labeled, I'll pull the harness apart to make my locker pump connectors move from the far top right of the photo (the coil) all the way to the lower left. That big chunky connector is the TCM plug. My locker pumps are very close to where that mounts. So...That will be fun! It will be worth it though, due to how much cleaner the wiring will be.

Looks good.

One of the tricks that the V-8 swap guys used was to get a cheap (use to be) piece of plywood and then layout the wiring. They'd drill holes and loosely zip tie each connector to the board in the shape it needed to be. This seemed to work for many of them. I'll be playing with my wiring harness again soon also so I feel your pain.

Looks good.

One of the tricks that the V-8 swap guys used was to get a cheap (use to be) piece of plywood and then layout the wiring. They'd drill holes and loosely zip tie each connector to the board in the shape it needed to be. This seemed to work for many of them. I'll be playing with my wiring harness again soon also so I feel your pain.

Yeah, cheap and plywood don't go together anymore. Holes through the cardboard could work too, though...

View attachment 360052

Once the connectors are labeled, I'll pull the harness apart to make my locker pump connectors move from the far top right of the photo (the coil of wires) all the way to the lower left. That big chunky connector is the TCM plug. My locker pumps are very close to where that mounts. So...That will be fun! It will be worth it though, due to how much cleaner the wiring will be.
It looks crazy to an onlooker, but it’s quite understandable when you’re the one doing it lol.

That’s actually a really good idea on the locker pump wiring. I never thought of cutting the wiring back and adding the connectors to a new leg straight from the source. It seems like most people just splice it at the factory locker location and run a leg back to the engine bay.

Just to trigger those who are intimidated by this type of thing…

5BBB3BD4-9686-4FCE-B648-8B3F7D405484.jpeg

I have all the connectors on the engine harness labeled and I’ve stripped every last bit of tape from it as well. All my breakouts have zip ties, so it’s holding it’s shape pretty well, for now.

Next step is to get it clean then shorten the locker wiring. After that, I’ll pin it all out. Finding some differences (mistakes) in the FSM too. Minor things, but they would drive you nuts trying to trouble shoot. I’ve also ordered new connector bodies to replace the few that are broken in this harness.

Here is where I left it for the night. Been staring at it for so long, I kinda know where everything goes by memory now, but I also have a rudimentary drawing on my cardboard.

0902D16E-E4D1-4345-A4DC-2CD910C23204.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 361560

I have all the connectors on the engine harness labeled and I’ve stripped every last bit of tape from it as well. All my breakouts have zip ties, so it’s holding it’s shape pretty well, for now.

Next step is to get it clean then shorten the locker wiring. After that, I’ll pin it all out. Finding some differences (mistakes) in the FSM too. Minor things, but they would drive you nuts trying to trouble shoot. I’ve also ordered new connector bodies to replace the few that are broken in this harness.

Here is we here I left it for the night. Been staying at it for so long, I kinda know where everything goes by memory now, but I also have a rudimentary drawing on my cardboard.

View attachment 361564
Trigger me? These pictures arouse me.

View attachment 361560

Here is where I left it for the night. Been staring at it for so long, I kinda know where everything goes by memory now, but I also have a rudimentary drawing on my cardboard.

View attachment 361564

Heart palpitations….

Another small wire harness update. I pulled my wires for the locker pumps and sensors forward to the abs tray today. After hemming and hawing about the best way to do it, I decided to de-pin the connectors and pull the individual signal and control wires through my zip ties and the harness. It actually worked out really well. I left them factory length for right now.

AABA497B-6888-4847-AB6A-2D830902E2F4.jpeg

Where they will break out of the harness is with the TCM plug, so they’ll have to double back a bit. A small coil won’t hurt them or my OCD. The ground is shared between all four plugs so I clipped that and tied it into another ground near the TCM plug.

With the connector housings off, it gave me a chance to clean the oil and dirt off them in my little ultrasonic cleaner. That also worked very well, so I took apart a couple more nasty oily connectors and washed them too.

All finished and ready to be loomed into the manifold run off the engine harness

C0587019-EF1C-4647-8EFE-30E97523ABF6.jpeg

Next step is to check circuits for continuity, then this harness can be wrapped up.