A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Well that makes the supercharger look cheap doesn't it.

No kidding, huh? It definitely makes me think twice.

Sure, I don't need a rebuilt engine or transmission... but it would be nice, wouldn't it?

Either way, I don't have that much money to spend regardless.

Oh, and just incase anyone wants to see the estimate Novak sent me for their "turn key" V8 package.

Note that this doesn't mean they are installing it for me. They ship it on a pallet with the engine, transmission, cooling system, and everything already hooked up. All you have to do then is literally swap it into the vehicle, but there's no guess work whatsoever, as everything is already done for you.

I wondered why it was so absurdly expensive, but then I looked and found out that they're giving you a fully rebuild 5.3 and 4L60E transmission, which adds to the cost considerably.

15k! Holy hell. At least it involves rebuilt trans and engine.

You can throw money at vibe fix and then get the magnum supercharger twice over and still have money left :)

15k! Holy hell. At least it involves rebuilt trans and engine.

You can throw money at vibe fix and then get the magnum supercharger twice over and still have money left :)

Yes, I know! The question remains however, can we fix the vibration?

Reactions: bobthetj03
You only live once bud, go for it! Besides I just sent you the down payment:beer-toast1:

I think what I may just end up doing is buying a wrecked Silverado with low miles. I can park it in the RV pad at my place and do the swap myself. If I did it that way and didn’t rebuild anything, I could drive the cost down to less than 8k I’m sure!

I think what I may just end up doing is buying a wrecked Silverado with low miles. I can park it in the RV pad at my place and do the swap myself. If I did it that way and didn’t rebuild anything, I could drive the cost down to less than 8k I’m sure!

Are you going to be starting a new forum for Classic Silverado aficianados? A place where they can ask questions, get technical help, and perhaps showcase their builds? :risas3:

Wow 15k haha...yea def not worth it. Fox shocks would be awesome with the reservoirs. I’m calling it also...this puppy will be stretched before this is all said and done. 12”...he’s going to get LJ envy, and it will be stretched. I don’t blame you either. It would be pretty cool!

Reactions: Chris and tomtaylz
So the shop I am planning on having do the Savvy mid-arm install agrees with Dave that we can fit a 12" travel Bilstein 5150 in the rear for the outboard shocks.

However, he mentioned on the front that we can put 12" travel shocks up there (though he said he won't order the shocks until he's all done with it and can measure the exact length needed). I asked him how he would even fit that in there, and he said he would weld on hoops to the top of the stock shock mounts, similar to what you'd use to run coilovers.

I've never seen this done before with the stock shock and coil spring setup (the hoops I mean). @jjvw, do you have this done to yours on the front shocks?

I've seen what this guy builds, and he's done some really amazing Jeeps with massive amounts of flex, so I'm not doubting him, I'm just curious about this, that's all.
Are you stuck on Bilsteins? When talking to Blaine he said he used the 12” fox with remote reservoirs when outboarding for his builds, more spendy though. I believe @jjvw runs them in the rear too.
This is my quick and dirty raised front shock mount which allowed me to use most of the 10.75" travel.
0a4c954e83431318d2721ebe61fab745.jpg

I want to put longer Foxes in someday. Blaine uses Poly towers up front, similar to the rear. I have a set waiting on the shelf. The lower mount also needs to be moved down a bit.

Several of the suspension guys that I pay attention to typically only put 11" travel shocks up front. I don't have a good grasp on what the restrictions are, but I would guess it is either the pinion or the track bar frame side mount. Clearances, bump stop requirements and shifting the travel biases will play a role in what actually fits.

With the longer arms, the rear is going to be limited to 12" of travel because of the driveshaft, unless the center is limited with a strap. Then you need to pay attention to what the tires mash into at flex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze and Chris
Open it up. Let's see those frame brackets! :)

I'm worried if I do that I won't be able to get it in back in the box. Sri and I are meeting with Dave on Saturday, so we'll see what's going on. Supposedly he says he can have the front end of my Jeep done this weekend. If that actually happens, I can return this Savvy kit or pass on the steal of a deal I got on it to someone on the forum.

I don't know how his kit can be that much better, but he and Chris swear up and down that it's "so much better" than the Savvy mid-arm. Chris Sines was telling me he hates to admit it, but that he's driven both and the Jeep West one that Dave builds is truly phenomenal.

Things changed again? You're riding a Jeep roller coaster.

We will see. Dave reached out to me personally after I told him I was taking my Jeep back this Saturday. He insisted he was planning to start on and finish the front end this weekend, so when I go up there on Saturday with Sri, we will see. If it’s not being worked on, I’m just going to take it and go somewhere else for the Savvy install.

A good majority of those Jeeps have been sitting in that lot for 6 months to 1 year. I’m not going to have mine sitting outside for that long haha.

Reactions: tomtaylz