A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

He's not planning on touching it until I get there on Saturday because he wanted me to drive the shop vehicle that has his mid-arm installed on it to see how I like it.

However, my gut tells me the right thing to do is take it home on Saturday and have my other guys do the work for me... what I should have done all along.
Oh I thought you had mentioned he was starting on it like today or tomorrow morning. I’m sure it is a great install, but who has the luxury of being without their ride for 6 mos lol. What does he charge anyway?

Reactions: Chris
The proper thing for the shop to do is schedule your install. Not stack the lot full and wait until you bitch enough to actually start.

Look at it this way, if you lighten the load some of the other stacked up jeeps might get done sooner.

You get one chance to make a first impression. They can apologize all they want but the cat is out of the bag. This is the way his business is run. It's now your choice to either reward him or cut and run.

The proper thing for the shop to do is schedule your install. Not stack the lot full and wait until you bitch enough to actually start.

Look at it this way, if you lighten the load some of the other stacked up jeeps might get done sooner.

You get one chance to make a first impression. They can apologize all they want but the cat is out of the bag. This is the way his business is run. It's now your choice to either reward him or cut and run.
It would be like a guy selling a set of 33” KM2s and collecting money, but when the guy comes to pick up said tires finding out they arnt off the jeep yet...and they won’t be until the sellers new wheels and tires show up haha

It would be like a guy selling a set of 33” KM2s and collecting money, but when the guy comes to pick up said tires finding out they arnt off the jeep yet...and they won’t be until the sellers new wheels and tires show up haha
Has money been exchanged yet?

Reactions: Starrs
Or he shows up and the tires have been sitting outside in a heap with raccoons living in them!

Reactions: Chris and Starrs
As much as I hate Savvy, there really isn't any better suspension out there. I've built two 3 link front / 4 link single triangulated rear suspensions and they are pretty much what Savvy does, because there really isn't any better place to put the brackets for many reasons, and if you keep the lower control arm mounting points, the uppers pretty much place themselves if you want any reasonable geometry.

All that said, the biggest ride difference you will get is with the rear outboard. The mid-arm is going to be mainly for better climbing and stability.

Most people don't go with a higher travel front shock because it's hard to find a coil that has much more travel to compliment it.

Stop it.

The complaints may be valid, Chris may have every reason to be irritated, but there is not a good justification for a bunch of uninvolved web wheelers to get on their high horses and pile on a guy who isn't here to offer his side. At the end of the day, we are talking about an incredibly talented designer and fabricator who can build circles around everyone here. On top of that, Dave has a very long history of wanting to help us learn and understand the things he knows.

Frankly, the business shortcomings are not new. I mentioned earlier here that if someone is having this work done, they are paying for the quality and the performance that most other shops cannot complete with. Many of the owners with Jeeps filling that lot are very aware of this. It may not be right to create an entirely avoidable backlog with a log jam to prove it, but it is hardly a surprise either.

Stop it.

The complaints may be valid, Chris may have every reason to be irritated, but there is not a good justification for a bunch of uninvolved web wheelers to get on their high horses and pile on a guy who isn't here to offer his side. At the end of the day, we are talking about an incredibly talented designer and fabricator who can build circles around everyone here. On top of that, Dave has a very long history of wanting to help us learn and understand the things he knows.

Frankly, the business shortcomings are not new. I mentioned earlier here that if someone is having this work done, they are paying for the quality and the performance that most other shops cannot complete with. Many of the owners with Jeeps filling that lot are very aware of this. It may not be right to create an entirely avoidable backlog, but it is hardly a secret either.
JJVW:
I guess I'm a "web wheeler" Okay.
I simply stated what I would do being as I'm a dick.
If jeep peeps want to stack JW's lot with projects so be it. But if he did me like @Chris...I'm outta there. Fan-boys be dammed.

btw: I enjoyed reading your build thread @jjvw

Reactions: Starrs
Stop it.

Frankly, the business shortcomings are not new. I mentioned earlier here that if someone is having this work done, they are paying for the quality and the performance that most other shops cannot complete with. Many of the owners with Jeeps filling that lot are very aware of this. It may not be right to create an entirely avoidable backlog with a log jam to prove it, but it is hardly a surprise either.
It just boils down to if @Chris wants to continue to have his Jeep sitting on a lot stacked with other jeeps not getting worked on. Could leave it parked at the nearest Walmart too, but why when you can keep it at your own house. If I was getting a lift put on I think I would take it somewhere it would get the work done?

Reactions: Farmergreg
It just boils down to if @Chris wants to continue to have his Jeep sitting on a lot stacked with other jeeps not getting worked on. Could leave it parked at the nearest Walmart too, but why when you can keep it at your own house. If I was getting a lift put on I think I would take it somewhere it would get the work done?

No one disagrees. The shop should provide reasonable expectations for it's customers.

The criticisms and concerns appear to be fair and real. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is. The continued jockish posturing and egging-on is what gets irritating and is unnecessary.

No one disagrees. The shop should provide reasonable expectations for it's customers.

The criticisms and concerns appear to be fair and real. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is. The continued jockish posturing and egging-on is what gets irritating and is unnecessary.
This guy is potentially spending some serious money...I think everybody is just trying to give helpful insight from a different perspective. It sounds like this jeep being talked about is way down the Work line. And you’d have to be one hell of a naive individual to believe your jeep will get bumped in front of other ppls jeeps tjat have been sitting for months and waiting for the same thing. It is unfortunate you are right, but it doesn’t make it right either.

Most people don't go with a higher travel front shock because it's hard to find a coil that has much more travel to compliment it.

This is what I was finding in my research, which is why most places were telling me to have a 12" travel rear and a 10" travel (or maybe 11" at most) shock for the front. BTW, why do you dislike Savvy. I've never had any bad experiences with them personally.

Stop it.

I agree. I've said more than I even wanted to have said (or should have said) personally. It's just very frustrating (and Sri understand's this since he has been going through the same ordeal) going through this and not being able to really vent to anyone (my wife wouldn't get it at all). In no way whatsoever am I trying to discredit Dave. He does amazing work and has more knowledge than most of us combined when it comes to off-roading. He definitely has his shortcomings when it comes to running the business, but I suppose we all have our shortcomings as well (I know I certainly do). Like I said, I'm just really frustrated with everything that has happened.

If this doesn't end up working out, I have every intention of keeping things amicable with Dave, as he's a very nice guy. I would simply tell anyone going forward, "Yes, he does some of the best work you'll ever find, but just be prepared that it could take 6 months or more to get it done."

Just to be clear, I have no ill will or animosity to Dave. I'm just frustrated, and I'm sure everyone can understand that. I had figured by now my Jeep would be at least close to being done. Truth be told, when I dropped it off and he told me 3-4 weeks, I was planning for a month and a half just to give him some wiggle room.

Obviously you can imagine my dismay when I found out no work had been performed on it at all.

It is what it is though. In the end, I've learned me lesson, I'll definitely be more cautious going forward, and if I have another shop do the work, I'll be sure to explicitly tell them that they need to give me a drop off date for when they can actually get to the vehicle, and at least a rough timeline for when they expect it to be done.

Last edited:
@jjvw kudos for being the voice of reason.

It's a frustrating situation, yes, but nothing really has been lost. Yes our Jeeps are sitting out there. Yes it's raining. Yes we wish we could have gotten better updates and communication. But end of the day, it's not worth getting riled up over. Worst case we will both take our Jeeps from there and get whatever we need done elsewhere.

No point talking down a person online. Dave is smart and he does knows Jeeps in and out. His suspension is supposed to be very good. We'll see that for ourselves tomorrow when we drive Dave's own rig.

They are working on my Jeep and I still have hope left that they'll figure out the vibration given all the information we've now provided them. No other shop in the past has this much systematic information given to them. Both Blaine and Dave have agreed that the ideas we've given them are worth pursuing. And they are being being pursued, even though it's taken longer than I would have liked.

I'll go there, see and talk to both of them, figure out that their best timeline is, and if I don't like it, I'll go elsewhere.

Remember folks, these are supposed to be rugged, best of the best off-road vehicles. They can handle a few weeks of rain. Really. I wish things were handled better and I wish I known ahead how it would be, but sometimes you just don't have enough information to make the decisions. @Chris and I had the best intentions and I'm sure Dave did too. Things just did not pan out well but let's see atleast in my case if everything gets fixed.

Last edited:
This is what I was finding in my research, which is why most places were telling me to have a 12" travel rear and a 10" travel (or maybe 11" at most) shock for the front. BTW, why do you dislike Savvy. I've never had any bad experiences with them personally.

Some giant customer service issues, general arrogance toward me as a customer, and over promising ship dates. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed.

That said, they make some of the best products for TJ's.

Do you have any pictures of this magical suspension that is supposed to be better than the Savvy midarm?

Reactions: Chris
Some giant customer service issues, general arrogance toward me as a customer, and over promising ship dates. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed.

That said, they make some of the best products for TJ's.

Do you have any pictures of this magical suspension that is supposed to be better than the Savvy midarm?

Just go to Jeep West or Dave Kishpaugh's Facebook pages. There are quite a few photos.

I don't know enough to make a call on which is better than the other.