A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Different transmissions require a different axle ratio for a given tire size.

32rh direct drive
NSH370 .84 OD
AX15 .79 OD
NV3550 .78 OD
42rle .69 OD

Curious why you chose 5.38 gears with a 35” tire. I had 5.13’s with 37’s and the rpm’s we’re near 3k at 70 if I remember right. Not questioning you, just curious.

Mine is the notorious 42RLE with the .69 overdrive. I got my recommendation for 5.38 gears after reading @Jerry Bransford's thread on his 5.38 install. He seems to really like it.

I may attempt my first gear install with these. Jerry's thread was informative enough that I feel pretty confident attempting this.

Reactions: DA RUNT
Mine is the notorious 42RLE with the .69 overdrive. I got my recommendation for 5.38 gears after reading @Jerry Bransford's thread on his 5.38 install. He seems to really like it.

I may attempt my first gear install with these. Jerry's thread was informative enough that I feel pretty confident attempting this.

I forgot you had the 42RLE. I messed my first gear install up so bad lol. Of course that was back in the 80’s before YouTube. Yes, I’m old :risas3:

I forgot you had the 42RLE. I messed my first gear install up so bad lol. Of course that was back in the 80’s before YouTube. Yes, I’m old :risas3:

Haha! I hear ya. I've been watching YouTube videos like crazy, and the procedure doesn't seem very hard, you just have to pay very close attention to the numbers.

Reactions: DA RUNT
I wouldn't be too confident. Some things were straight forward but getting that pinion depth shimmed properly to create the right pattern wasn't all that easy or intuitive. I was glad I had an experienced friend to lead the way there.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I wouldn't be too confident. Some things were straight forward but getting that pinion depth shimmed properly to create the right pattern wasn't all that easy or intuitive. I was glad I had an experienced friend to lead the way there.

I'm going to see if I can find someone local to with experience to help me. It's one of those things where I'd really like to learn to re-gear my own vehicle. I feel I could learn, I just need some guidance from someone who has done it before.

I'm going to see if I can find someone local to with experience to help me. It's one of those things where I'd really like to learn to re-gear my own vehicle. I feel I could learn, I just need some guidance from someone who has done it before.

And then I can do a road trip up to Salem for my regear. :risas3:

Reactions: psrivats and Chris
I'm up for doing most of the work to my jeeps myself but I'm gladly paying a shop to install my 5.38s next week!
My thoughts exactly. My regear has been the only thing my jeep has been in the shop for. That said if i had someone knowledgeable to stand next to me I would have loved the opportunity to learn to do it.

Reactions: JMT
The RCV axles should be here on Tuesday, as well as the 17" Vanco big brake kit, and the Currie steering as well. Funny, I ordered three things from three different places, and they're all getting here on the same day! That's just luck I suppose.

I'm going pretty fast with the build at this point, which I'm sure many have noticed. I'm trying to get the majority of the stuff done before December 25th, since that's when our new son is due (which will also be our last child :p).

At that point I can focus on the larger projects such a factory color respray (a really nice one), the supercharger, and other things. But at least the drivetrain / suspension will be done.

Found the RCVs for a killer deal by the way on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5NNGQ1/?tag=wranglerorg-20

No photo, but the seller got back to me and confirmed they are indeed RCV axles for a Dana 44 Rubicon front axle on a 03-06 TJ (the part number matches as well) with 30 spline inners and 27 spline outers.

I'd considered going with 30 spline Alloy hubs, but after speaking with Jerry, he told me that Blaine had commented on this at some point and mentioned that the hubs aren't a weak point, and that going with 30 spline alloy hubs just for the sake of increasing spline count (since they aren't manual hubs or anything) wouldn't be beneficial in any way.

What ultimately made you decide on the RCV axles versus something like Revolution's US made offering with the 1350s?

What ultimately made you decide on the RCV axles versus something like Revolution's US made offering with the 1350s?

I had the RCV axles on my black Rubicon and was very happy with them. In addition to that, I know a lot of people locally who are absolutely brutal to their RCV axles, and no one has broken one. The stories I've read on the internet where people did end up breaking one, RCV gave them a replacement without any hassle.

The other thing is that I personally like the idea of a CV joint better than a u-joint. Seems like less maintenance, but also, there's no real way it can bind up like I've heard the u-joints can under extreme circumstances.

The other thing is that my 17" Vanco big brake kit says that it's pre-machined to fit RCV axles, which is nice. I'm not sure if it would fit the Revolution 1350 u-joints, or if you'd have to remove more material for them to fit.

Reactions: zebra12
Going to be outboarding the rear shocks and relocating the upper spring perch brackets using the GenRight parts.

I realize I'm going to have to get new springs for the rear after relocating the spring perches, only because it's going to lift the vehicle even more so in the rear. With 4" springs currently, I'm thinking I'll likely need some 2" OME springs for the rear, since even as my TJ sits now, the rear is a good 1" higher as it is, and that's with stock spring perches.

Thoughts on this?

As for the outboarded rear shocks, I'm not sure if Rancho makes a RS5000X that will fit. What rear shocks are you using with your outboard setup @jjvw?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
It appears you have enticed @Starrs into the 35" tire club...:cool:
I’ll let him tell you how the whole story went lol. @Chris will tell you as everybody knows he originally thought 33s were gods gift to TJs...obviously he has changed his mind, and his Rubicon looks amazing. I should have went with 35s to begin with but I listened to many many other minds and got sucked in. Should have listened to myself and not other ppl. Always wanted 35s, but couldn’t find the rims I longed for.

Reactions: JMT
Yes... I thought 33s were perfect. Now every time I see my TJ with 35s, I think "Wow, these things just look right at home on here, how did I not have 35s all along?".

To be honest, it's not sluggish or anything either, and that's with the stock 4.10 gears. I'm very anxious to see how it will be with the 5.38s when I install them.