A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

He uses JJs on both sides of the front trackbar? You should add that info to the joint discussion, since a couple guys were asking why Currie doesn’t do that on their track bars.

I tried going to your main page to find the name of your current bumpers and I couldn’t find it. What are they called again and does the rear have a hitch mount? You have quite the project going Chris! It looks sweet now. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Or wait, is it ever finished? :D

Dropped my TJ off at Jeep West on Friday to have Dave install the mid arms, outboard the rear shocks (I’ll be running Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners now) and install my RubiCrawler and DeRale transmission cooler.

Should be about a month before I get it back, but this thing is going to be a totally different animal when I do!

I got a chance to check out the under sides of some of the other mid-arm TJs he’s done and I am very impressed to say the least.

I asked him if he wouldn’t mind taking some photos of the progress as he goes, just so that I could update this thread with them, as I’m interested myself, and I’m sure others might be as well.

By the way @Serbonze, I asked him what kind of joints he uses per your request and he told me he uses Johnny Joints.
Why Bilsteins? I thought you've been down that road?

Which is also very interesting considering what others say about the 5100.

Perhaps the Jeep West mid-arm kit is focused on trails rather than pavement, so the small event harshness isn’t an issue with the 5100s?

I prefer bilstein 5100 over the new rancho's and 9000 adjustables for customer rigs. the bilstiens are about the same as a rancho 9000 in the second to softest setting IMO. I also use 5125's 255/70 12 and 14" travel with outboard and relocated fronts. I run fox 14" travel smoothies tuned by full stack motorsports on my tj.

The above post was from September so unless something has drastically changed, @Chris did you decide not to outboard or are you keeping 10” rear shocks even with the outboard?

I think we need more details!

Reactions: derekmac
Perhaps the Jeep West mid-arm kit is focused on trails rather than pavement, so the small event harshness isn’t an issue with the 5100s?

I would think the concern with small event harshness would be just as important off pavement as it is on pavement. I find myself on a lot of long gravel roads leading to the trail that I would prefer to cover quickly and comfortably.

He uses JJs on both sides of the front trackbar? You should add that info to the joint discussion, since a couple guys were asking why Currie doesn’t do that on their track bars.

Oops... I totally forgot to ask about both sides. I have to assume yes, but I clarify that for sure next time I speak to him.

I tried going to your main page to find the name of your current bumpers and I couldn’t find it. What are they called again and does the rear have a hitch mount? You have quite the project going Chris! It looks sweet now. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Or wait, is it ever finished? :D

Those bumpers are the Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers. Very rare, very expensive, and no longer made. The rear doesn't have a receiver hitch, which is one of the reasons I'm getting new bumpers... I need a receiver hits for sure!

As for being finished ever... knowing me, it's unlikely!

Why Bilsteins? I thought you've been down that road?

The Bilstein 5125 shocks are required for outboarding the rears. To my knowledge, they are a bit narrower than the standard 5100 (which comes into play given how much closer the rear shock is to the tire in terms of clearance when outboarding the rear shocks), but also the 5125s are meant for lots of travel, where as the traditional 5100s don't come in all the travel lengths that the 5125s do. Dave had mentioned he may be able to find a comparable Rancho, but since he exclusively uses the Bilstein 5125s, I figured I would rather go with what he suggests, since he will know better than I will.

As for the fronts, I figured I would rather have 5100s for the front to match them, because I just feel a bit odd running Rancho fronts and Bilstein rears.

Which is also very interesting considering what others say about the 5100.

I had the 5100s on my old TJ. To be honest, I didn't think they rode all that bad.

The above post was from September so unless something has drastically changed, @Chris did you decide not to outboard or are you keeping 10” rear shocks even with the outboard?

I think we need more details!

I am indeed outboarding the rears. The rear shocks are Bilstein 5125 shocks with a 12" travel, and the fronts will be 5100s with a 10" travel.

The Bilstein 5125 shocks are required for outboarding the rears. To my knowledge, they are a bit narrower than the standard 5100 (which comes into play given how much closer the rear shock is to the tire in terms of clearance when outboarding the rear shocks), but also the 5125s are meant for lots of travel, where as the traditional 5100s don't come in all the travel lengths that the 5125s do. Dave had mentioned he may be able to find a comparable Rancho, but since he exclusively uses the Bilstein 5125s, I figured I would rather go with what he suggests, since he will know better than I will.

As for the fronts, I figured I would rather have 5100s for the front to match them, because I just feel a bit odd running Rancho fronts and Bilstein rears.

It's worth noting that I had the 5100s on my old TJ, and to be honest, I don't think they rode that bad at all. Maybe not as good as my Ranchos, but it's also been a number of years, so it would be hard to say with 100% certainty how they ride, as my memory is a big foggy, and now there are other variables at play such as my D load range tires, whereas back then I was running E load range.

Reactions: ac_ and derekmac
Okay, so here's the new bumpers I'm putting on this thing:

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBB/SWBFC.html
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBB/SWBRC2.html

A few reasons I'm doing this:

1) The front bumper allows me to install an Antirock without cutting anything (I dreaded cutting into my Mopar Rock Crawler front bumper).
2) The front bumper looks like it should have more clearance, which might be nice in the long run.
3) The rear bumper has a receiver hitch which I absolutely need.
4) The rear bumper has some nice cutouts for some auxiliary lights, which I intend to fit with LED cubes. This should make for some even brighter reverse lights!
5) I also have to admit, I really dig the look of the JCR bumpers.

What do you guys think?

These are the bumpers I’ve been contemplating myself. When do you expect to receive them? Don’t want to miss the review especially with a couple people on here having a bad experience.

These are the bumpers I’ve been contemplating myself. When do you expect to receive them? Don’t want to miss the review especially with a couple people on here having a bad experience.

Probably not until the middle of next month. When you order them powder coated they take extra time to do the powder coating, so it’s just a waiting game. They still say they are “awaiting fulfillment” when I check my order status.

So hopefully they are back around the same time I get my TJ back from Dave!

I'm trying to hard these past few days to resist using my credit card to buy a supercharger... haha.

In other news, I got notification my JCR rear bumper shipped today. Now I'm just waiting on the front to ship. Here's to hoping the welds aren't crappy like @techster82 mentioned they were on his.

I'm trying to hard these past few days to resist using my credit card to buy a supercharger... haha.

In other news, I got notification my JCR rear bumper shipped today. Now I'm just waiting on the front to ship. Here's to hoping the welds aren't crappy like @techster82 mentioned they were on his.
Will the supercharger work with the LS your buying next year :risas3:

Reactions: tomtaylz