Aaron's Yellow Submarine

How do you like the Grabber x3's? I just ordered a set, to be installed next week.
I can't say enough about how capable these tires are. I've had them for over a year now and they have held up well. 10+ wheeling trips, over 10,000 miles. The sidewalls are tough on these too! We had one bad snow storm this winter and they cut through no problem. They're a heavy tire which is why I went with the 10.5 and there is a slight road hum.

Reactions: Alex01 and Mike_H
Thanks for the report. I'm excited for them to be on. The weight is something I'm concerned with...I'm going from a 60 lb 285/70R17 to a 75 lb 315/70R17. I'm sure its gonna be felt!

This past weekend I tackled the flimsy lower control arm brackets. It was a little unnerving cutting into the Jeep (it was my first time) but the artec brackets are idiot proof. I'm glad that weak link is replaced.

In other news I picked up a warn 8000s winch and made a nice fire extinguisher mount from a stainless bracket at work.
before
eVUoGjo.jpg

during
2k0YyWX.jpg

after
cUZAKXs.jpg

28f7EnS.jpg

ntPqZxm.jpg

2w0K98y.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
Well the new control arm brackets have been put through the paces and they are tough! 2 more trips to Rausch since the upgrade and I even played on some more challenging trails (no videos yet). I also scored a 231 transfer case with a brand new sye kit installed for 200$. I still need to order my rear driveshaft.

I went a little crazy over black friday and picked up
Barnes4wd body mount brackets (ones cracked)
Barnes4wd gas tank skid
Barnes4wd 2" drop belly pan
Universal crossmember kit for tummy tuck
Artec rear spring correction plates

A few trail shots till my buddy sends over the ones he has.
HQxH8FW.jpg

angle does not to this spot justice the hill was steep leading to this ledge.
EjNsZO1.jpg

x1CJ8JU.jpg

A few shots from todays trip. It was pretty tame but we did hit up a few black trails.

In other news I bought my dads suv so I now have a daily driver to keep the road miles off the jeep and now I can tackle the bigger projects that I have been stock piling.

I actually got higher on the ramp than my buddy's gladiator on 38's which was surprising.
mU9V7Vy.jpg

1FWqxNC.jpg

F83QxBD.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DuncLJ and Alex01
I had a very eventful trail day at Rausch a few weeks back. I recently installed a new track bar and anti-rock sway bar. It was so nice not to have to crawl under the jeep to unhook the sway bar. Just air down and go. We also tackled two trails that have been on my list for awhile. Crawl Daddy and Crawlers Ridge. Somewhere in all the wheeling we did my steering loosened up so that needs adjusted and this past week I took the jeep to work and discovered a small amount of smoke (steam) coming from the upper right side of my radiator. Having a spare vehicle, access to my inlaws pole barn, and this recent radiator issue has sealed my decision to sideline the LJ for a month or two to replace and install all the parts I have been stockpiling.

1. overhaul the fuel system (new pump, injectors, heat wrap, new pump=install my gas tank skid)
2. overhaul the coolant system ( new mopar radiator, thank you ebay, waterpump)
3. Replace rear main seal and pan gasket
4. Weld in new raised body mount brackets
5. Weld in crossmember kit + install new transfer case with SYE + install new belly skid + install savvy cable shift + order rear driveshaft
6. Weld in rear spring relocation perches
7. Install savvy adjustable upper control arms
8. Install XJ tie rod
......I think that's it for now.
stay tuned
1651978315902.jpeg
1651978415567.png

Reactions: Wildman and DuncLJ
Update from my giant list above
1. overhaul the fuel system (new pump, injectors, heat wrap, new pump=install my gas tank skid)
-gas tank skid and new pump install. other stuff TBD
2. overhaul the coolant system ( new mopar radiator, thank you ebay, waterpump)
-Turns out it was just a bad radiator cap....no shit, a cap. I returned all the amazon purchases and kept the mopar radiator for a rainy day.
3. Replace rear main seal and pan gasket
-Pan gasket,
4. Weld in new raised body mount brackets- NOT YET
5. Weld in crossmember kit + install new transfer case with SYE + install new belly skid + install savvy cable shift + order rear driveshaft- NOT YET
6. Weld in rear spring relocation perches
- SOLD them after seeing how simple it is to move and reuse stock perches. THANK YOU bfh garage on youtube
7. Install savvy adjustable upper control arms
-Installed the rears and corrected the pinion angle. This was way easier than I thought it would be. vibe free at 75.
8. Install XJ tie rod- not yet

Additionally I installed the rockjock rear track bar and relocation bracket. Thanks to the previous owner for completely welding the old one on instead of installing it properly. The axle was out 1.625" before the track bar replacement. onto the pictures

I am truly lucky to have awesome inlwas that let me use their huge air conditioned garage.
5xW5s32.jpg

before I centered the axle the rear diff skid was hitting the gas tank skid. I brought the axle in an inch and rotated the axle to set the pinion angle
NoYsIls.jpg

these were my insanely beat stock conrol arms
ZIk11Sa.jpg

previous owners hack of an install on the track bar bracket
Kqbw3SA.jpg

rock jock goodness
ygldObM.jpg

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I developed steering slop and a slow leak in my steering box so that was replaced but there was still a few degrees of wobble. I chose to ignore it for a bit (don't do this) and later discovered my brand new teraflex front track bar nut had stripped and the whole thing was hanging on by the cotter pin! That was replaced with a Currie track bar. It's so nice and easy to install.

I took the Jeep out wheeling one more time before I start a few more projects and snapped to decent pictures.

ROTM material
YtF8cef.jpg

I cannot wait to ditch the stupid stock shovel. If I had installed my belly skid I could've drove out of this instead of winching.
6S5pwVn.jpg

Reactions: L J and Alex01
The tummy tuck has begun. I installed a cable shifter and am now in the process of tucking the the transfer case. I'll swap the SYE in shortly. My brother in-law installed a MAJOR UPGRADE in the garage. After years of driveway modifications on all the vehicles I've owned this almost feels like cheating. Hoping to have this buttoned up in the next few weeks.
I need to take measurements to make sure the transfer case is centered in the frame before I weld everything in place. I was a little concerned that the passenger side cross member tube was shorter than the driver side. Am I ok?
FinFDpd.jpg

C3UaGp1.jpg

4j6dCLG.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
The tummy tuck has begun. I installed a cable shifter and am now in the process of tucking the the transfer case. I'll swap the SYE in shortly. My brother in-law installed a MAJOR UPGRADE in the garage. After years of driveway modifications on all the vehicles I've owned this almost feels like cheating. Hoping to have this buttoned up in the next few weeks.
I need to take measurements to make sure the transfer case is centered in the frame before I weld everything in place. I was a little concerned that the passenger side cross member tube was shorter than the driver side. Am I ok?
View attachment 409406

View attachment 409407

View attachment 409408

You may want to check that. If memory serves I do not believe that the stock case is centered between the frame rails. I may be wrong, but perhaps someone with a stock setup could give you some measurements.

You may want to check that. If memory serves I do not believe that the stock case is centered between the frame rails. I may be wrong, but perhaps someone with a stock setup could give you some measurements.

I had to weld the tcase bolt plate to the crossmember pipe and I centered it on that. I'm hoping to get back over to the garage this weekend. I'll measure everything before I burn it in. I suspect its offest from the factory based off how far over everything is. I cant believe it dropped that far over....we'll see

Reactions: Wildman
With the t-case raised I needed to relocate the mounting of the lines on the driver side frame rail. I picked up some shelving brackets and welded them in. They'll do the trick. I know some guys mount them on top of the frame rails but I thought this was easier.
eSFJABz.jpg

Tummy is officially tucked! I ordered my rear double cardan driveshaft from Adams offroad today. Once that shows up I can dial in my front and rear pinion angles and get this this to the exhaust shop and get it inspected. I'm so close to getting the jeep back on the road.

bbpRSbw.jpg

I didn't take a before measurement but I'm a little over 17" ground clearance on 33's with a 3 lift. It was hard to hold the tape measure and snap a picture.
v15raNG.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
This past weekend I dialed in the axles, installed the rear driveshaft and took her for the first drive in over 6 months. My last job had me on the road or too busy/stressed to go to the garage that this took way longer than I expected. The test drive went..... okay. Slight vibration between 35-45mph and when I got back to the garage there was probably 1/8th cup of trans fluid in the belly skid. I suspect its coming from the trans output shaft seal. I didn't replace it during the swap due to that one only being 2 years old. The jeep is going to a shop in a week for an inspection and overall check up so I'm going to let them replace it.

I'm so close to trail time I can almost taste it.
s21BFnW.jpg

so much clearance Clarence
u219mvk.jpg

Update on to-do list
1. overhaul the fuel system (new pump, injectors, heat wrap, new pump= new pump and skid installed
2. overhaul the coolant system ( new mopar radiator, thank you ebay, waterpump)- putting this off for now, maybe next year
3. Replace rear main seal and pan gasket- pan gasket
4. Weld in new raised body mount brackets- putting this off for a bit. just got the jeep back on the road
5. Weld in crossmember kit + install new transfer case with SYE + install new belly skid + install savvy cable shift + order rear driveshaft- 100% FINISHED!!!
6. Weld in rear spring relocation perches- not yet
7. Install savvy adjustable upper control arms- done, cant believe they have been on the shelf for 2 years
8. Install XJ tie rod- soonish

Last edited:
Jeep is back from the shop. Thrush Hush muffler installed and leak fixed. It was coming from the sye section, the only section I didn't address... thats on me.
exhaust is tucked nicely
I2ETAoY.jpg

Coming soon.
S8pHOG8.jpg

Reactions: Wildman and PNW_LJ
The jeep needed inspected so I took it back to the shop that did my exhaust work and I had them install the sliders since I was going to be away for work. I need to trim the flares but we're ready for the trails.
raHPjEa.jpg

really wish the PO didn't install a snorkel. tube fenders may be next on the list.
hn75sXE.jpg

Last edited: