Accidentally shifted from 1st to 4th

icetraekay

Was driving my buddy’s 98 4.0 and I accidentally shifted from 1st to 4th gear twice under 15-20mph. Both times the motor would just rev and not move us anywhere. Could that mean the clutch is slipping or any other cause for concern?

The clutch was either slipping or you didn't actually get into 4th gear and were revving the engine in neutral.

What would normally occur when shifting into 4th at low speed is the engine would lug along with a large rpm drop. Giving it throttle wouldn't do anything. The other likely thing to happen is you stall the engine entirely.

That might work OK with your NSG370 6-speed with its lower ratio gears but it wouldn't be for the 5-speed transmissions that came in 2004 and older TJs.

I don't like doing in my '03 5-speed. I have to slip the clutch a bit more than I like. Of course, if I'm slightly downhill, that is a different story.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Was driving my buddy’s 98 4.0
He WAS your buddy.
I accidentally shifted from 1st to 4th gear twice under 15-20mph.
Are you a 16 year old girl? How do you accidently shift into the wrong gear...TWICE. They're labeled on that thing that shifts them.
Could that mean the clutch is slipping or any other cause for concern?

The horrible grinding noise is a dead giveaway.
the more you know (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
He WAS your buddy. Are you a 16 year old girl? How do you accidently shift into the wrong gear...TWICE? The horrible grinding noise is a dead giveaway.
View attachment 506214

I was thinking that, going from 1st to 4th? I have the NSG, but the 5 speed pattern is the same 1-5 I think.

That’s odd to go from 1-4, I can’t think of ever doing that.

And yeah, if it was my TJ, I’d be a little hacked off. Then again, no one drives my Jeeps, so there’s that, ha.

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
And yeah, if it was my TJ, I’d be a little hacked off. Then again, no one drives my Jeeps, so there’s that, ha.
My wife told me she wanted to learn to drive a manual Jeep, then I watched her drive an auto. I bought her an auto Jeep of her own soon after. I rarely even let her ride in my Jeep. 🤫
p.s. She still gives me instructions on how to drive my 5 speed though. 🤬

My wife told me she wanted to learn to drive a manual Jeep, then I watched her drive an auto. I bought her an auto Jeep of her own soon after. I rarely even let her ride in my Jeep. 🤫
p.s. She still gives me instructions on how to drive my 5 speed though. 🤬

Turn up the stereo, Tool is a great one to quiet that nonsense!

Was driving my buddy’s 98 4.0 and I accidentally shifted from 1st to 4th gear twice under 15-20mph. Both times the motor would just rev and not move us anywhere. Could that mean the clutch is slipping or any other cause for concern?

How do you know the symptoms of a slipping clutch but go from 1st to 4th? lol

He WAS your buddy.

Are you a 16 year old girl? How do you accidently shift into the wrong gear...TWICE. They're labeled on that thing that shifts them.

The horrible grinding noise is a dead giveaway.

That would explain a lot. Men and their hormones take a lot of abuse. Just not MY Jeep. Anything, just not My Jeep, babe. Break my heart, okay, just not MY FRICKIN' JEEP!!

Meh....it's an off road vehicle. You can baby it if that makes you happy...but it's made to be driven off road and in rough terrain...and that means not babying it. OP....don't worry about it. You didn't hurt anything.

If this is that rust bucket 98 you wanted to buy for $9000, he’s not your buddy!