Accutune Can't Tune Fox Shocks For The TJ

afusco1222

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey Everyone

Last year I ordered some Fox Resi 2.0 Smooth body shocks from Accutune with their Adventure tune (moderately aggressive). The ride was controlled with hardly any body roll, but stiff compared to any other shock I had run on the Jeep. I called them back about 4 months later to get them re-tuned and found out that they will do one free retune of their shocks at no charge. We went through how much weight my TJ weighs (stock front end weight and running a soft top, no rear seat and an OR Fab rear tire carrier with a 33" tire) and I sent in the shocks. When I got them back and installed the shocks, they rode worse than before. Stiff compression, reduced rebound (Jeep feels like it lifts when taking off from a stop), and flops all over. When I called back, they said that they did not have the right size shim to correct my ride and that I should go to a rancho for a better ride, and that the Tacoma has the same issue as the TJ where it doesn't weigh enough to make it ride well. Has anyone ever heard of Fox shocks not being good enough for our TJs and can anyone recommend a different shock tuner?

Reactions: Grant Lasson
Hey Everyone

Last year I ordered some Fox Resi 2.0 Smooth body shocks from Accutune with their Adventure tune (moderately aggressive). The ride was controlled with hardly any body roll, but stiff compared to any other shock I had run on the Jeep. I called them back about 4 months later to get them re-tuned and found out that they will do one free retune of their shocks at no charge. We went through how much weight my TJ weighs (stock front end weight and running a soft top, no rear seat and an OR Fab rear tire carrier with a 33" tire) and I sent in the shocks. When I got them back and installed the shocks, they rode worse than before. Stiff compression, reduced rebound (Jeep feels like it lifts when taking off from a stop), and flops all over. When I called back, they said that they did not have the right size shim to correct my ride and that I should go to a rancho for a better ride, and that the Tacoma has the same issue as the TJ where it doesn't weigh enough to make it ride well. Has anyone ever heard of Fox shocks not being good enough for our TJs and can anyone recommend a different shock tuner?
This is really helpful and interesting. I'm planning an outboard and had thought Accutune might be a good shock vendor. Based on what you've experienced, not so much. Thanks.

Hey Everyone

All I can offer is that based on what you have written here, thread title is accurate.

I had mine tuned by a 3rd party via a friend as a proxy. I can put my TJ (on 35s) into a corner (pavement) hard enough to drift without fear of rolling it.

Soaks up the big events out in the desert, doesn't bottom out, and when it does its barely.

still soft enough in the flutter stack to make washboards and expansion gaps better than stock.

A good tune makes a world of difference, and a good tuner can do it without much fuss. These shocks are great.

I also outboarded mine, don't know if you have but im sure that contributes.

Accutune is garbage and i used to recommend them even after i got a not so great tune because they are one of few options to the public. Since then multiple friends have got absolute dog shit tunes and got the same response as you, despite having much heavier JKU's. Unfortunately, i do not know of any proper tuning companies you can easily deal with as a consumer.

How do I get in touch with Wayne? I though there was a person on this forum by the name of PColin or something like that who tuned shocks? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

curious, how do you go about figuring your sprung weight per corner? Getting total weight per corner is the easy part....I wouldn't know how to subtract the unsprung weight without taking it apart and putting parts on a scale.

curious, how do you go about figuring your sprung weight per corner? Getting total weight per corner is the easy part....I wouldn't know how to subtract the unsprung weight without taking it apart and putting parts on a scale.
We use math and a spring. Toss on springs with a known height and rate. Set the rig on all four corners, measure the compressed length of the spring exactly. Multiply that by the spring rate lbs. per inch = sprung corner weight.

Accutune is supposed to do that for you based off of a rough estimate of how much weight you added to your rig with modifications