Adding a back up camera to a TJ

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I did a quick search and have not seen this, anyone add a backup camera to their TJ? I know it means a new radio head unit with screen. With the 7 speaker system with sub woofer is the radio swap difficult? I know on my old JKU a radio swap was a real PIA due to multiple factory amps wired in?

If all you want is a back up camera, you don't have to change your radio. I mean if you are looking for an excuse that is as good as any, but you can get a backup cam that has a screen the rear view mirror or one that uses a separate screen you can mount on the dash.

Changing radios is not that tough on a TJ, and running wires is fairly simple too. The main harness that goes to the back is under your sill and under the rear bed rail. It is easy to hide wires behind the main harness.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Currently working on mine, it will be set to be displayed on my tablet but it's designed to use on the rear view mirror. Of course you need to change the OEM mirror but some of them even comes with Thermometer and compass.
In the TJ the pain is locate where to put it on the rear.

Reactions: ac_
thanks guys...I have will figure what route to go, whether wireless with it's own monitor or replace the radio...only picking it up tomorrow. I just knew on my jku radio replacement was a pain and very expensive.

I’m not sure what DIN size you’re wanting to install when you replace the radio. It’s easy if you don’t change the DIN size, it gets more complicated if you have to cut.

Adding a double din is super easy. They sell bezels made to accommodate them and it takes about 30 seconds worth of trimming behind the dash. Super easy job. The cutting is very easy and by no means has to be precise as your just making room for the radio and all your cut work ends up hidden.

Reactions: JMT
Back Up Camera.jpg
Jensen VX7012.jpg
2005 TJ. I have never been able to find a write up for a backup camera on a TJ, other than mounting a camera in the rear tire which I did not want.
I have a single din (Jensen VX7012). For me, this stereo works great (only 4 speaker/sub woofer set up). The stereo had the camera capability so I bought one from Amazon for $20. Easy hook up...ran the wiring through the dash and over to the driver's side, following the rear wiper wiring to the tailgate. My husband drilled a hole in the center of the bumper for me and I was able to do the wiring myself. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out (I did not tap into the reverse tail light as I wanted to be able to use the camera at any time).

Last edited:
2005 TJ. I have never been able to find a write up for a backup camera on a TJ, other than mounting a camera in the rear tire which I did not want.

I have a single din (Jensen VX7012). For me, this stereo works great (only 4 speaker/sub woofer set up). The stereo had the camera capability so I bought one from Amazon for $20. Easy hook up...ran the wiring through the dash and over to the driver's side, following the rear wiper wiring to the tailgate. My husband drilled a hole in the center of the bumper for me and I was able to do the wiring myself. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out (I did not tap into the reverse tail light as I wanted to be able to use the camera at any time).

Where do you see behind you when you put it in reverse? Does your head unit have a screen on it large enough to display footage from the camera?

...But it blocks the A/C that wouldn't fly here in Arizona.

Yes, that is a very good point! I was unsure about installing this type of unit at first but wanted an upgrade from the stock stereo. When it's hot out, I still use the A/C. I just tilt the screen forward a bit and it works fine for me. But extreme heat...I keep the screen closed and open when needed. :)

I upgraded my stereo to a double DIN just for that purpose - I wanted a backup camera but didn't want to mount a display on the dash. There's a writeup on the 2DIN upgrade by another owner here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/double-din-install.6428/

I did the stereo upgrade but have not actually mounted the camera yet. I (stupidly) missed a wire connection for the camera behind the stereo, and I'm waiting on a few other things before I go dismantling the dash again for the millionth time. I have a cover on my spare so mounting the camera in the wheel isn't an option. I'm planning on putting it on top of my receiver hitch, right below the rear bumper.

Find the wiring diagram from the JL and purchase the back up camera from it. It would be nice to Install and retrofit it cloning factory specs and hardware. Google images didnt have a lot of pics. But they look clean and simple.
D065F6AC-06BB-4B55-BAF6-8C8CB42FC3EC.jpeg
E73D6DBC-CA41-4A70-B3BE-8680DE36B16C.jpeg

Reactions: ac_
Anyone know what color wire is reverse?

I’m getting ready to install a backup camera. I chose to go with one that included an LCD monitor, since I didn’t feel like adding an aftermarket stereo. It only cost $23. I’m not sure why this isn’t something everyone does. We all have giant tires blocking our view. Could really come in handy on the trail as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RYRX52/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Anyone know what color wire is reverse?

I’m getting ready to install a backup camera. I chose to go with one that included an LCD monitor, since I didn’t feel like adding an aftermarket stereo. It only cost $23. I’m not sure why this isn’t something everyone does. We all have giant tires blocking our view. Could really come in handy on the trail as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RYRX52/?tag=wranglerorg-20
What is it for? If you see a hot girl and you go past her, then you back up and she doesn't even know your looking at her? Help! I'm lost here?

Actually, I'd love to do one of these. Just don't know where I'd install it. Maybe on my tire carrier somewhere.