Adding a back up camera to a TJ

I'm going to see what it looks like when I put mine on my license plate frame. It will obviously be off centered and partially blocked by the spare, but I'll see what it looks like.

Motobilt has a tag mount that incorporates the JL back up camera.
https://www.motobilt.com/jeep-jl-spare-tire-delete-tag-mount.html
NOTE: This is a JL tag and bracket for a JL back up cam but this would be a great retrofit for someone looking to add a factory specd backup cam to a TJ. Pictured is a JL.
01A2994B-E8A1-4DDB-B22A-69609BCFAB4D.jpeg
84AAF782-3EF2-4CCD-AC69-517E47C2B2A8.jpeg
DD0AFB4D-6C80-427A-9592-D92C6B7BFE36.jpeg
02F63DDC-1637-4F0B-A294-1E51F26F918D.jpeg

I went ahead and did my install. I’m a boob with no electrical sense, so the wiring confused me a bit at first, but it was all straight forward. I ended up putting it on the license plate frame, so the lines don’t really match my width, but I can still see everything behind me, which was my main goal. This is 100% a no-brainer for me at $23. I tested it at night and it works better than any factory camera I’ve ever used. If I had it hooked up to a 2 Din it’d be even better.

_m5m-rX7NZGuOE44-kpH1XoJ8pd4tQ3KwYQeyt6baigedniun8JicWWN03ZHohIs2m2WbNPq-2WbJaPEr7zVHQOLbw=w2400.jpg

D71eAYif4FECTMy90yUzOqAykPY-bzR7L72T5w77WetZgDWQuwgAQIOtRX0ixtQUWFtGrF084IprRfmazMiWT3JDdw=w2400.jpg

_m5m-rX7NZGuOE44-kpH1XoJ8pd4tQ3KwYQeyt6baigedniun8JicWWN03ZHohIs2m2WbNPq-2WbJaPEr7zVHQOLbw=w2400.jpg

Reactions: JMT and CreepinDeth
I tried the reverse lamp bulb and it didn't work because I believe it only has a few volts DC to the reverse light. Camera I have has small LEDs and wouldn't even turn on with such a low power source. I read you may be able to tap into the trailer harness to get power so I think that's the route I'll have to go.

I installed a wireless camera on my truck from Tadibrothers. The camera mounts in the license plate frame. This might not be an option with TJ plates mounted on the corner of the tub.

I tried the reverse lamp bulb and it didn't work because I believe it only has a few volts DC to the reverse light. Camera I have has small LEDs and wouldn't even turn on with such a low power source.

You should be getting a full 12v at the reverse lights.

What is it for? If you see a hot girl and you go past her, then you back up and she doesn't even know your looking at her? Help! I'm lost here?

Actually, I'd love to do one of these. Just don't know where I'd install it. Maybe on my tire carrier somewhere.
[/QUOTes

That's borderline stalking 😁
I have one dead center of my spare , hard wired into the mirror , I absolutely love it .

The hard wired ones are great , avoid wireless , too fuzzy and too much delay.

Maybe so. Was at a buddy's with a very cheap volt meter. I'll test it out tomorrow with a fluke if I have time. Just didn't seem like the camera got any juice being connected into that small reverse light bulb and grounded inside on one of the 3 bolts that hold the light housing to the body.

Reactions: S Spurrier
An impromptu poll-

If you were putting a camera on your jeep, would it be more effective in back or in the front (I'm thinking: seeing obstacles, picking your line, etc)?

Reactions: Wade Durbin
An impromptu poll-

If you were putting a camera on your jeep, would it be more effective in back or in the front (I'm thinking: seeing obstacles, picking your line, etc)?
I'm actually planning to do both. The pioneer stereo I have should accept 2 video inputs or so I'm told. So the front one will probably need to have a switch mounted somewhere to trigger it I think.

I’ve heard of both

I love my “hard wired in the mirror “ camera from Best Buy in the back..because of my full size spare. Really helps.

So today I put a fluke multimeter on it and saw 10.8 or so volts, plenty to get camera to work in my mind. So after some testing, I found the red power wire my buddy spliced to the reverse bulb wire with a vampire style clamp down connector didn't actually cut through the tiny red wire enough to make contact to the copper wire inside. So I pulled it out, stripped the end of it off and doubled the tiny wire up and soldered it inside the clip. Closed it up and taped it shut. Now it gets power when shifted in reverse and the camera turns on the display screen of the pioneer stereo. 👍 So there is definitely enough voltage there to run one if connected properly. You were right dbbd1. Thanks for the input.

I've seen some nice ones mounted in the spare tire carrier, peeking out from inside the wheel, not the center cap. I'm leaning in that direction but have to sort out lift kit / wheels / spare carrier before I can attempt. In the meantime I have to figure where I"ll pull 12V from, if I can find the reverse light wire.

1567983719217.png

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've seen some nice ones mounted in the spare tire carrier, peeking out from inside the wheel, not the center cap. I'm leaning in that direction but have to sort out lift kit / wheels / spare carrier before I can attempt. In the meantime I have to figure where I"ll pull 12V from, if I can find the reverse light wire.

View attachment 114154
Brown and purple wire in the harness behind the taillights...check me on color though.

I put mine in a steel plug that locks into the square hitch mount. Electrical plugs are up behind the bumper; if I need to hook up a draw bar to pull a trailer I just unplug the camera and pull the hitch plug out. Takes 20 seconds.

KWWk6Q_FBspkbIgBpP4Za51owflLxWhnW8guFd8DQ&usqp=CAc.png

I have a rear mounted camera that displays through the rear view mirror. I got it mainly as a dash cam front &rear in the event of a traffic incident. Nice to have digital proof the other guy is an idiot. While it displays when I reverse, I'm an old guy who still relies on my side view mirrors for backing.

I got a double DIN unit with built in backup camera functionality but I have to connect to the "reverse " wire. Anyone know the best way to do that? I also need to connect Park for the DVD functionality.