Adding a back up camera to a TJ

I got a double DIN unit with built in backup camera functionality but I have to connect to the "reverse " wire. Anyone know the best way to do that? I also need to connect Park for the DVD functionality.
Re-read just a few post up.

Wiring diagrams are going to save you tons of time in the long run, otherwise, you are just guessing.
You can steal from the reverse wires in the taillights. For park, if you have an auto there should be something near the console you could steal.

Honestly, are you really going to watch DVD movies in your Jeep?

Reactions: Chris
Honestly, are you really going to watch DVD movies in your Jeep?

I wonder that all the time anytime I see someone buy a head unit with DVD functionality.

I'm not saying someone might not use it, but I roll my eyes even when I think about the idea of sitting in my vehicle and watching a DVD :ROFLMAO:

I wonder that all the time anytime I see someone buy a head unit with DVD functionality.

I'm not saying someone might not use it, but I roll my eyes even when I think about the idea of sitting in my vehicle and watching a DVD :ROFLMAO:
The only time I could imagine someone watching a movie in the vehicle, would be camping...maybe.

I tried the reverse lamp bulb and it didn't work because I believe it only has a few volts DC to the reverse light. Camera I have has small LEDs and wouldn't even turn on with such a low power source. I read you may be able to tap into the trailer harness to get power so I think that's the route I'll have to go.

Tapping into the reverse power is not to power the camera, it's just a trigger to turn on the display when you put it in reverse. The camera is powered from the main wire running back to the display, head unit, whatever.

At least that's how mine works, I can turn on the rear view without putting the Jeep into reverse.

The only time I could imagine someone watching a movie in the vehicle, would be camping...maybe.

Yep, or our kids watch DVDs in the back of our Honda Odyssey all the time while we're taking long road trips. Of course that's a different thing altogether.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
About 10 years ago, I added an in dash DVD player (screen popped out and up) in my Wrangler. It made trips with the kids easier for me and them.

Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure if I would use the DVD but it can play them so I wanted it fully functional. The DVD unit was the best price option, they may be clearing out some old stock. I'll check for the wiring diagram. Thanks again. Also it was one of the few with a manual volume control. Didn't want everything on touchscreen.

Last edited:
Reactions: R1PPLE41
I looked in the other thread(s) but I couldn't find the wiring diagram info or a suggestion on the best spot to tie in to the "reverse" wire on a 97. It's an automatic so I'm assuming there may be an easy spot somewhere near the shifter.

I looked in the other thread(s) but I couldn't find the wiring diagram info or a suggestion on the best spot to tie in to the "reverse" wire on a 97. It's an automatic so I'm assuming there may be an easy spot somewhere near the shifter.
I'd think you could find your answer in these, but I haven't looked. I think I would want reverse wired to a rocker switch to turn on the camera at will. Or maybe both switched and via reverse.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

Installed camera in hitch receiver right above my dive flag
Sony Ax av 1000 receiver is actually a single din inside but double din on outside required double din trim however did not need to cut anything to install
0B75C556-4D57-4272-AF38-F404A02DA6F6.jpeg
2A943EAD-5E71-4DF8-BCB8-5CE62479F9ED.jpeg
2A943EAD-5E71-4DF8-BCB8-5CE62479F9ED.jpeg

I love the factory look , stability and brightness of my Echomaster "in the mirror" rear view camera . ..works just like my Ford trucks' does. Got it BestBuy.

I went ahead and did my install. I’m a boob with no electrical sense, so the wiring confused me a bit at first, but it was all straight forward. I ended up putting it on the license plate frame, so the lines don’t really match my width, but I can still see everything behind me, which was my main goal. This is 100% a no-brainer for me at $23. I tested it at night and it works better than any factory camera I’ve ever used. If I had it hooked up to a 2 Din it’d be even better.

View attachment 38884

View attachment 38882

View attachment 38883

do you have a link?

I have a back up camera on my new Boss be10acp in my 1997 TJ. It automatically switches to it when I back up. It also has the option for a front camera but, that didn't seem to be necessary. The Boss is a ten inch headunit, with tons of options and kits for steering wheel functions. The screen actually slides down, so that it won't block my AC vents, and it is removable for theft deterance. I always take it with me in a shoulder bag that I brought for it, and I put a glass screen protector on it too. It has calibration lines for the back up camera. Nice Headunit for $500.

Boss Up.jpg

Boss Down.jpg

BossStereo.jpg

Reactions: CreepinDeth
Oh, here are the pictures of the rear camera. The rear camera view automatically comes on when I put the Jeep in reverse, the music sound dims very low too. Then, it automatically changes to normal radio view, where ever it was, before I started backing up, and the sound resumes to normal. It can be calibrated with the lines as shown. The stereo installed with the camera cost me like $600. The Boss website says that the stereo needs to be professionally installed. This way, if there are any problems, he will take it out and replace it under warranty. I've had it about three months without problems. My installer is awesome. He does all my stereo, alarm and LED work. He even does wraps. Although, I'll never ever wrap my Jeep. Never. He finished a huge business custom truck wrap job for a whole fleet of about 10-15 trucks. He installed my PDX-V9 under my dash. He has an excellent reputation, and he stands by his work. Right now, he is wiring all my LED switches into my dash with custom cutout toggle switches.

rearcameraview.jpg

stereocameraview.jpg

Rear Camera.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CreepinDeth
I have a 97 TJ and just fin installing a double din stereo and backup camera. I didn’t go crazy and bought a ATOTO A6 Performance. Was easy to install aside from the previous owner cutting the original harness. I decided to mount mine in the center of my spare tire. I drilled a hole in the center cap and installed it from behind. I ran the cabling behind the desk along the passenger side to go through the tailgate. Instead of connecting ground and reverser trigger to one of the taillights I ran those to wires back to the dash. I added the ground to the same stereo ground. I then traced the wires under the dash. The second connector from the bottom I pulled out and tapped into the violet/ black wire that is the reverse trigger. This allows me to automatically have the reverse camera go on or manually from the stereo.

Reactions: AdelaideTJ
I have a 97 TJ and just fin installing a double din stereo and backup camera. I didn’t go crazy and bought a ATOTO A6 Performance. Was easy to install aside from the previous owner cutting the original harness. I decided to mount mine in the center of my spare tire. I drilled a hole in the center cap and installed it from behind. I ran the cabling behind the desk along the passenger side to go through the tailgate. Instead of connecting ground and reverser trigger to one of the taillights I ran those to wires back to the dash. I added the ground to the same stereo ground. I then traced the wires under the dash. The second connector from the bottom I pulled out and tapped into the violet/ black wire that is the reverse trigger. This allows me to automatically have the reverse camera go on or manually from the stereo.

Would you share how you went through the tailgate? A picture would be great.