Advice about campers (possible Scamp purchase) and towing capacity after lift

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Everyone. I’m looking at getting a small trailer to go with my rig, and I have a couple questions. I understand the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. I’ve currently got the ONE 2 inch lift with the heavy duty springs. As I have a four person family, I’m looking to get as much space as possible, but I obviously don’t want it to be overweight. Do you think I’ve changed the towing capacity with the lift springs - either for the better because they’re heavy duty or the worse because it’s lifted a couple inches?

And beyond that, does anyone have experience with Scamp campers? Looks like a pretty interesting light weight option that could go well with our TJs. Thanks!

https://www.scamptrailers.com/

A friend had a Scamp many years ago - it was a pretty darn good trailer as I recall. You didn't increase your towing capacity with your springs, its the short wheelbase that is the limit...

Reactions: kenosha whiz six
@Chris G - You might want to browse the Fiberglass Trailer Forum. I have a Cadet fiberglass trailer and kind of follow what's going on there. Here are links to the Scamp and Forums sections.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/groups/1-scamp+trailers.htmlhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/
Mine's in pieces now while I'm building a new frame for it and then a pile of other body and interior mods. I've towed it with my LJ & XJ both of which have a 2" lift and higher towing capacities than a TJ (3,500 lbs. and 5,000 lbs. vs. 2,000 lbs.). I barely know it's there. As Zorba said your towing capacity would be the same with or without a lift. It's the 2,000 lbs. that you have to keep in mind.

Reactions: John Cooper
Keep in mind that the 2000lb rating includes passengers, cargo, and any weight you have added. If you pack light the 13' might be towable. If your carrying the full family and supplies it would be pushing things a bit.

Reactions: chimmike
Due to Senior health issues, we sold our motorhome and bought a 13' Scamp....so, our 20 yr old TJ became towing vehicle from being the toad ! We installed an AntiSway Bar on the Scamp, as we are aware of the towing limitations of our Tj. We load the Scamp with proper tongue weight, as well as side weight over the axle...and keep weight in the TJ within reason. We have a 3" lift, which was fine when we bought Lil Red, but now...wishing NOT having !!...we can still climb in !! Lil Red has wide rims which we do appreciate. Staying closer to home...we have no issues towing the lightweight fiberglass trailer, well within 55mph or slower.

Reactions: Farmergreg
I ended up going a slightly different direction here and got a pop up camper. We’ve gotten a ton of use out of it already. The leadtime on a new Scamp was 22 months! Here’s a pic of my current setup.
01E85F6B-0394-4E95-892B-860F8BC4ECBB.jpeg
5100E1AB-1E22-4652-879C-2C7FFA160706.jpeg

Towing capacity is less important than payload to be honest. Especially with small vehicles like jeeps. Payload=GVWR less curb weight. It's the manufacturer's limit of what 'stuff' you can actually carry in the jeep. That includes aftermarket add-ons too (which aren't on the jeep from factory!). Then tongue weight of a trailer.

Folks posting photos of pop-ups....those are the ticket IMO. much roomier than a scamp, too. And lighter.

Reactions: Chris G
Folks posting photos of pop-ups....those are the ticket IMO. much roomier than a scamp, too. And lighter.
Thats not what I've found with pop tops.

The TJ is limited with a 900kg towing limit (sorry Australian, so think in KG)

Jayco's lightest pop top locally has a tare weight of 890kg (the off-road version is 1040kg).

Conversely my off-road square drop is 780-820kg fully loaded for a weeks trip.

The Scamp looks a pretty good option if you need a small camper with internal cooking etc..

Theres some nice teardrops made locally to you guys too. Vistibule is one of them,
https://vistabule.com

Reactions: derekmac
Thats not what I've found with pop tops.

The TJ is limited with a 900kg towing limit (sorry Australian, so think in KG)

Jayco's lightest pop top locally has a tare weight of 890kg (the off-road version is 1040kg).

Conversely my off-road square drop is 780-820kg fully loaded for a weeks trip.

The Scamp looks a pretty good option if you need a small camper with internal cooking etc..

Theres some nice teardrops made locally to you guys too. Vistibule is one of them,
https://vistabule.com
The teardrops are cool, especially that Vistabule. I looked at those and many others, and there were two problems:

1. I've got two little ones, and there simply isn't enough room.
2. Even if i could get past that (which they're cool enough I considered it) the lead time for most of these is super long, and there just aren't that many used ones on the market.

So for me - pop up it was!

I ended up going a slightly different direction here and got a pop up camper. We’ve gotten a ton of use out of it already. The leadtime on a new Scamp was 22 months! Here’s a pic of my current setup. View attachment 278195View attachment 278196
Yes...when we bought our Scamp early this summer...we looked at ordering a new one and were told delivery date would be May 2023....I laughed at the fellow....and told him we might not be camping any longer...in 2 years....Your popup is much better suited to your family...for the 2 of us, the Scamp works well...and since we do not go on long trips, our GWR is well within perameters

SCAMP at river July 28 2021_1762.jpg

how does the length of the trip change the GCWR/parameters?
Longer trips often have more items packed. More items packed is more weight.
I don't need a propane firepit and cornhole boards for a weekend trip, but for 3 weeks? It might be nice.

I'll take the small cooler and less cooking water on a weekend trip than a 2 week trip. I'll take 2 propane canisters on a weekend trip, and the single burner stove. On a week or two I pack the old school dual fuel coleman, white gas, more cast iron pans, etc...

It all adds up.

I'm in the same boat with 2 kids. There are of pop ups out there under 1500lb. I've been keeping my eyes open for a decent used one.

Yes...when we bought our Scamp early this summer...we looked at ordering a new one and were told delivery date would be May 2023....I laughed at the fellow....and told him we might not be camping any longer...in 2 years....Your popup is much better suited to your family...for the 2 of us, the Scamp works well...and since we do not go on long trips, our GWR is well within perameters

View attachment 278249
Those little Scamps are about as cool as it gets!

I'm in the same boat with 2 kids. There are of pop ups out there under 1500lb. I've been keeping my eyes open for a decent used one.
It’s perfect with the kids. We have probably paid a little more than we would have a year or two ago, but we’re definitely getting out use out of it. I’ve got another trip planned for this weekend.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
What's it like towing? It looks like you're just about the same weight as the Scamp. Have you put it on the scales? Your Jeep looks just right with that thing hooked up. I know it's all really subjective but still it would be interesting to hear what you think.

What's it like towing? It looks like you're just about the same weight as the Scamp. Have you put it on the scales? Your Jeep looks just right with that thing hooked up. I know it's all really subjective but still it would be interesting to hear what you think.
It’s a breeze to tow. I don’t have much experience towing, but this is truly easy. You don’t even notice it back there. I haven’t weighed it, but unladen it’s supposed to be below 1,600 lbs so I’m sure I’m still below 2,000 lbs with some room to spare.

Reactions: pagrey
I finally bought a Bushwhacker, really like it. Rear galley. Just me and the dog so plenty of room.

I did install a Redarc brake controller on the TJ, tows it great. Empty weight is only around 1200.

20210829_204542s.jpg

Reactions: srimes and PCO6