Advice Needed on Selling my Husband's LJ

Thanks everyone. Jamie used to say that to a jeep guy leaks were no big deal. It is what they do. I also heard him use the "marking territory" comment :)Apparently I just have not come across the right buyer yet and I do have time to wait. It is listed here on the forum.

First , and absolutely first , we hope you and your family are ok , and we hate to hear he passed away .

Here's the deal- LJ model jeeps are very desirable , and people that want an LJ want just that...an LJ . Not just anything .

A real Jeep guy knows what that Jeep is , and he has tools , a shop, probably a beard , and an average of 6 tattoos and 3 camoflauge shirts.

You are clear headed enough to get it inspected and see what you have.
That's wise , but the person who buys that LJ most likely won't let a shop ever touch it anyway , and will enjoy making it his .

Find a happy medium for price and sit tight if can , don't let kids test drive it , and if someone comes to look at it ...warm it up before they drive it . It helps .

If you get into a deal, and someone points out something hokey, don' t let anyone pull your leg..say " I will get back to you " and post your question on this thread if Chris deems that appropriate to keep you supported by us.

Don't fret a moment , think of the LJ as a CD...it's money in the bank he left you , and be sure to get some good pics for the family later if needed.

Now, take it all one day at a time , rest and take care of yourself . Stay close to your friends and family , and keep confidence that time is truly an ally.

We wish you the very best,
Andy

👆 Ditto. Across the board.

Sorry for your lose. Shame you weren't about a 1000 mile north, or I'd be happy to fix it for you. The Jeep enthusiast world is a family. If you can be patient, the LJ will sell itself to an LJ buyer as is and as priced. You have more important things to focus on.

I probably shouldn't touch this one, but I probably shouldn't do a lot of things, I just keep getting drawn back to this thread and I only want to help. This is one guys opinion only, If anyone reading this wants to argue please quit reading now, this is just my opinion and I don't know fu&k about shit admittedly.

If you want need to squeeze every last dollar out of that beautiful hunk of steel, keep it listed at current price, create a FB and Craigs add to, of course there will be a lot of scammers to filter out saying they will buy it and want to send you a check, it's kind of like work and it will take a tole, and sure it could sell for asking price or there about.

If it means anything to you memory's, time spent, keep it anyway you can, there will never be another one like it.

In contrast if it hurts your heart every time you walk buy it, every time you see it out the window, get rid of it ASAP. Or maybe have it stored somewhere and have someone else sell it for you.

If you want to sell, need to sell now or soon think your price is high, most of us rust belt guys are going to be lookin and an additional 1000.00 for transport to get it in our garage. I think someone wanting to invest 17000 is going to want more. To me you have a 14000 jeep. the fellows that know more than I are saying keep the price where it is, warm up the engine before someone looks at it, don't tell them things that you know about it. well that is all fine if that is what they do but I don't work that way. I'm more of a full discloser guy, I want to inspect when the jeep is cold, I want to see the drips, I want to see the dings, scrapes and scratches. It ain't new I expect to see these things when I don't see them I think something is wrong. I am not calling anyone out, its just that you know if you were willing to take a chance on buying and having it shipped to you with out knowing what the owner knows fowl play would be mentioned. Anyone getting worked up over what I have said, take a breath, it's a sensitive subject, money always is and im probably not saying it right. My only intention is to help out a fellow jeeper, not insult anyone, this is just once guys opinion. If ya want to kick me off the form for being honest do it. The jeep has been on the market for a month now, if it was priced right it would be gone.
peace..
respect..
Jim.

Can you imagine the panic this thread title struck into the heart of every married LJ owner on here?

Quick , son , see where my Jeep is , she's gone over board with the yard sale !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
@snowpig32 I agree with you on full disclosure. Every potential buyer is going to ask if there are any known issues. It sounds like the inspection that was done was probably legit since they came up with almost nothing. They didn't investigate the leak so had no idea what it would take to resolve it. It's pretty likely that there are 1 or more leaks. No BFD.

There are clearly a couple known issues and most potential buyers would appreciate knowing that an inspection was in fact done and it found almost nothing. I know I would appreciate knowing that and, if anything, it would make me inclined to pay more, not less. Fewer unknowns is a good thing. No guarantees they didn't miss something but if they were making stuff up, they would have likely had a much longer list.

As for the price, I would hold for a bit before reducing the price. Spring is right around the corner. The Jeepers and wanna be Jeepers will be thinking about Jeeping and Jeeps. People will soon be getting tax refunds. I would see how things go for a bit unless you need to sell it quick for some reason.

Best of luck

First, thanks again for the great advice, kind words, condolences and sometimes laughs from some of the posts. Very much appreciated.

Second, I do not have a problem with a potential buyer having access to the inspection report, especially someone out of state. I would never intentionally mislead anyone on the condition. If I fail to omit something it is probably due to ignorance. I never drove nor worked on the jeep. I was just a passenger along for the joy of riding. All intimate knowledge of it died with Jamie. It is the reason I came out here for advice and also why I stated in my listing that it would be best to be seen and test driven in person. If anyone local would care to come out and give it the once over so I can better answer questions, I would more than welcome it.

First, thanks again for the great advice, kind words, condolences and sometimes laughs from some of the posts. Very much appreciated.

Second, I do not have a problem with a potential buyer having access to the inspection report, especially someone out of state. I would never intentionally mislead anyone on the condition. If I fail to omit something it is probably due to ignorance. I never drove nor worked on the jeep. I was just a passenger along for the joy of riding. All intimate knowledge of it died with Jamie. It is the reason I came out here for advice and also why I stated in my listing that it would be best to be seen and test driven in person. If anyone local would care to come out and give it the once over so I can better answer questions, I would more than welcome it.
What they need to know,
Does it run good?
Does it have any safety issues?
Is the title Clear?
then respond honestly to the specific questions you know the answer to.
All you really need to disclose is the state inspection report you got in your yearly inspection!
They know what that jeep is... HOLD FIRM!
the buyer will come!
The only times in life a man is great is when he is partnered with an amazing woman!
Prove him right!
God Bless!

Last edited:
Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited

It’s going to be fine . These aren’t at all hard to sell if the price is in line.

....maybe someone is close by and can do that , or even meet a potential buyer with you .

It will be sold before you know it...most Jeep buyers aren’t going to be afraid of much . (Maybe afraid of IRS agents, mad women and men in skinny jeans ,but not an oil leak)

Hang in there . We gotcha.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeepn_Texas
It’s going to be fine . These aren’t at all hard to sell if the price is in line.

....maybe someone is close by and can do that , or even meet a potential buyer with you .

It will be sold before you know it...most Jeep buyers aren’t going to be afraid of much . (Maybe afraid of IRS agents, mad women and men in skinny jeans ,but not an oil leak)

Hang in there . We gotcha.
Skinny jeans... LOL!