Advice on Removing Stuck Bolts?

MrBClark

TJ Enthusiast
Anybody have advice on stuck bolts? Most of the bolts inside of my 01 Jeep are pretty well stuck and some on the outside as well. The main ones are the windshield hinges. There is slight rust under it and I want to get rid of it but I cant get the hinge off. Anything helps. Thanks

Anybody have advice on stuck bolts? Most of the bolts inside of my 01 Jeep are pretty well stuck and some on the outside as well. The main ones are the windshield hinges. There is slight rust under it and I want to get rid of it but I cant get the hinge off. Anything helps. Thanks
Soaking the bolts in a penetrating catalyst such as PB blaster helps a lot. Breaker bars, cheater bar such as a pvc pipe over the ratchet handle, and occasionally impact wrench are all useful tools with rusty bolts. Oh yea and a good 6 point socket set.

If they are the counter sunk torx screws. I just drill the head off then remove the shaft after the hinge is removed.

Another option is to use a GOOD set of easy outs. My preference is snap on.
REX114A.jpg
1/2" wrench fits then tap with a hammer if its being a pain.

Soaking the bolts in a penetrating catalyst such as PB blaster helps a lot. Breaker bars, cheater bar such as a pvc pipe over the ratchet handle, and occasionally impact wrench are all useful tools with rusty bolts. Oh yea and a good 6 point socket set.
What do you feel helps the most, breaker bar or impact wrench?

What do you feel helps the most, breaker bar or impact wrench?
It depends. I try to use leverage first. Impact wrench could snap a bolt or round the head if not careful. I have used both at different times for different situations.