Broken Skid Plate Bolts

OFFRD TJ

Hello Folks,

While removing the skid plate bolts on my 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ, I snapped the head of all three bolts on one side leaving the rest of the bolts in the stock nutserts, I am yet to remove the other side, but worried if they would also break the heads. Any idea how I can remove the broken piece of bolt inside the nutsert? For obvious reasons, I want to first try the easy route before drilling/grinding and putting new nutserts. Please advise.

I also have a questions about removing stuck cam bolts on the front lower control arms. I was able to remove the back nuts, but the bolts just don't want to come out. I applied a lot of PB Blaster (literally soaked them), also applied heat. Hit with a heavy hammer on the nut side, but still no luck. I don't want to use a metal cutter to cut the bushings which should release the stuck bolts, but that would need a lot of time and I need to buy new cam bolts which cost around $25 for the pair on Quadratec. Any suggestions?

The skid plate bolts can be removed by applying some heat and using a vise grip or weld a nut to the remainder of the bolt; the heat from welding should assist you in loosening the bolts.
As for the control arm cam bolts; you may be able to apply heat and loosen the bolt from the sleeve inside the control arm bushings.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
You could also grind flat with a cut off wheel, center punch and drill out out, if you want to get fancy you could use a reverse drill bit, but the heat from the drill bit will often bring out the bolt make sure to use undersized bit and chase threads with a tap & die set.

# 3 is the easy way...... grind it flush smack it into the frame. fish it out with a magnet and replace them with new pieces.

Reactions: taylormade73
Thank you all for your quick response. Any idea how difficult it is to put new nutserts into the frame, once I remove the old ones? Do I need a special tool?

I was thinking of using a reverse drill to remove the broken bolts, by tapping, applying heat and using an extractor to get them out. Not sure, but If it works, then I don't need to buy new nutserts, assuming that I can still reuse them.

After you knock them out of there - If you have a welder you can make some flag bolts and drop them down from inside the frame. Fish them through the holes with some wire and the flag will keep them from spinning when you tighten the nut from outside. It's the easy and cheap way to deal with it if you don't want to mess with nutserts but it's not as clean of an installation.

20200110_145539.jpg

Reactions: indio and Blondie70
After you knock them out of there - If you have a welder you can make some flag bolts and drop them down from inside the frame. Fish them through the holes with some wire and the flag will keep them from spinning when you tighten the nut from outside. It's the easy and cheap way to deal with it if you don't want to mess with nutserts but it's not as clean of an installation.

View attachment 191113
Don't know if that would work for my case as I am trying a put a T-case spacer as part of my Rough Country 4" inch lift kit install.

Any idea if I can get a replacement T55 torx lower rear trackbar bolt. Mine is stuck, just doesn't want to come out. I applied a lot of rust penetrant, but no luck. I didn't applied the heat yet because I am worried about the gas tank being so close, has around half tank of gas in it. I am thinking of drilling or welding a nut. Also, the side clip has lost its strength, I am afraid it will break it. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your quick response. Any idea how difficult it is to put new nutserts into the frame, once I remove the old ones? Do I need a special tool?

I was thinking of using a reverse drill to remove the broken bolts, by tapping, applying heat and using an extractor to get them out. Not sure, but If it works, then I don't need to buy new nutserts, assuming that I can still reuse them.

They are not hard to install and there are lower cost tools available for the occasional user.

The issue with extraction is the inserts are not full dimension steel nuts but rather a HD threaded sleeve and if they are a bit of a rusty mess the surviving inserts (if you are able to extract) do not have a lot torque ability left and quite commonly spin in place when trying to tighten.

This is my thread on how to replace your frame nutserts.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/stripped-nutserts-for-transfer-case-skid.31751/

Last edited:

Not that hard at all. There’s instructions on The Black Magic site that walks you through how to go about it and it’s all using extra hardware you can get at any local hardware store. He might even include the hardware in the kit, I can’t remember now. I had to put a new set in because my transmission moved forward with my engine swap. The worst part is laying on your back and drilling upwards, wear long sleeves because the metal shavings will burn you pretty good.

Any idea if I can get a replacement T55 torx lower rear trackbar bolt. Mine is stuck, just doesn't want to come out. I applied a lot of rust penetrant, but no luck. I didn't applied the heat yet because I am worried about the gas tank being so close, has around half tank of gas in it. I am thinking of drilling or welding a nut. Also, the side clip has lost its strength, I am afraid it will break it. Any suggestions?

Just replace it with a M12 flange bolt, that's what I did. I think it's M12 anyway, whatever it is just get a normal bolt and ditch that torx nonsense.

That axle side bolt can be hard to get to. If you can disconnect the upper mount, and the sway bar, and support it from the frame you should be able to drop the drivers side of the axle low enough to clear the gas tank skid.

Or get a stubby T55 socket and put a breaker bar on there. Mine was very rusty and broke loose using that method, didn't have to heat it up any. Just hammer it into the bolt head for a good solid connection. Don't want to strip the head.

Here's the socket set I got for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075F4T79L/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You will love this...

Screenshot_20200924-234921_DuckDuckGo.jpg