Removing stripped torx hinge bolts

I wouldn’t think it would work but then again you never know. My stripped bolts had to be taken off by my 4 x 4 shop for

I just got the passenger side screws loose. :) without buying any of that special stuff.

Maybe not a conventional method but I used the $10 HF heat gun on hi setting to heat up the head and surrounding area. Most came loose with 30 seconds of heat but some of them seemed a little tougher and came loose after 60 seconds of heat. Nice thing was it didn't damage the paint.

Torx bit was a well used Craftsman one.

I wonder if this will work on my tailgate and door screws too? Could I be that lucky? I'm doing a full repaint and wasn't sure if it would be worth it to remove all the hinges but I think I'm going to press forward and do it.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I just got the passenger side screws loose. :) without buying any of that special stuff.

Maybe not a conventional method but I used the $10 HF heat gun on hi setting to heat up the head and surrounding area. Most came loose with 30 seconds of heat but some of them seemed a little tougher and came loose after 60 seconds of heat. Nice thing was it didn't damage the paint.

Torx bit was a well used Craftsman one.

I wonder if this will work on my tailgate and door screws too? Could I be that lucky? I'm doing a full repaint and wasn't sure if it would be worth it to remove all the hinges but I think I'm going to press forward and do it.

Worth a shot, heat is the key they say. I never got around to it. I truly just gave up and the shop was nice to do it. They only got one out, I’m taking it this week for gears and will have them get the other.

Worth a shot, heat is the key they say. I never got around to it. I truly just gave up and the shop was nice to do it. They only got one out, I’m taking it this week for gears and will have them get the other.

The heatgun worked like magic on then windshield hinges and hood but not so much on the tailgate. That was quite a bit more challenging and even multiple torches didn't work on some of them. Broke two torx bits off including an impact torx from HF and my Craftsman torx. I didn't need the grip stuff because it wasn't a problem of them rounding out.

A639F50B-0392-4724-8D5F-E7336D830039.jpeg

0538F8B5-7650-4C64-A89A-FE2DDE51EB70.jpeg

BBAC6B6F-D554-47B1-A445-C0AD1BBC0322.jpeg

3F266D78-ABAC-468D-A838-685BABF72745.jpeg

CF318C34-51F1-41BD-B2EA-DF0B3B76ED53.jpeg