Aftermarket Gauge Selection

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Okay I need to replace the gauges on my dash that I have installed to monitor my 3 air systems on my TJ.
Main air pressure 120-150psi
ARB Lockers 80-90psi
ORO AiRock 90-100psi

So here is how it first looked when I was trying to come up with an idea to mount them.

IMG00281.jpg

And then here is how it looks now, I used a electric scribing tool to put their names in the plexiglass. My biggest issue is that they are not lit so at night I can't see them which is why I am wanting to switch them.

IMG00297.jpg

IMG00306.jpg

So when I first in stalled my dash I bought some oil filled 0-160psi gauges from Kilby but since he sold the company they don't carry near what he use to. Then I was looking at Dakota Digital but am not sure I want to run digital gauges. Looking on Amazon there is GlowShift but I have read mixed reviews. Ebay has a whole bunch of off brand stuff. Never heard of iGauge before but they have good reviews. And then there is the Viair

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=220291227054

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=233103480907

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=232976540195
Or I could run a dual pressure gauge for the AiRock and ARB and a single for the main.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=312420478254
Or a gauge that will show all 3 air pressures. Then I could mount a trans temp gauge and one other gauge.
Main
AiRock
ARB

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=292591677607

So just looking for ideas and if anyone has any experiance with any of the brands I have shown. If you know of a gauge that will work please post it up.

If this is in the wrong spot @Chris move it please. Just didn't think it went in the TJ section.

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
How about AEM? Have you checked out their gauges? I really love their digital ones. They look good, they are easy to see at night, and I've always had good luck with their stuff.

How about AEM? Have you checked out their gauges? I really love their digital ones. They look good, they are easy to see at night, and I've always had good luck with their stuff.

Chris,
Yes I am looking at them too just didn't add them as they are a know brand. Plus they are spendy and I was trying to keep the cost down a little. But in the end they might just be it. Quality wise the Viair would be just a notch down from them. I am not sure I want to go digital other than being able to get all 3 readings in one gauge. But I will go look at the AEM again and see what the price is. Autometer also but price is what will keep me away from them.

That's true, the AEM gauges aren't cheap. The Viair gauges are nice, and I think those would be my second choice.

Autometer makes a host of nice gauges as well, but as you already know, they aren't cheap either. I think the thing I like the most about the AEM gauges is that they function well, and they are digital, which is helpful to me. Not that I don't appreciate the look of an analog gauge, but I always find the digital ones easier to read on the fly.

Well I just looked and AEM doesn't have a air pressure gauge. I'm thinking more about the triple digital gauge and then my AEM wide band Air/Fuel gauge on one side and a trans temp gauge on the other side? They won't match but I don't think a AEM on each side and the digital air pressure in the middle would look to bad.

Well I just looked and AEM doesn't have a air pressure gauge. I'm thinking more about the triple digital gauge and then my AEM wide band Air/Fuel gauge on one side and a trans temp gauge on the other side? They won't match but I don't think a AEM on each side and the digital air pressure in the middle would look to bad.

That would still look pretty good I think, especially if the AEM gauges were on the outside!

And I already have this Wideband O2 gauge.

It has the black bezel also so it would match the trans guage'

Reactions: Chris
I'm thinking if I keep the same layout like I have my current gauges mounted then the HKI gauge is in the middle and up higher while the two AEM gauges would be down a little lower. Thoughts?

IMG00306.jpg

Or would it be better to just make them level all the way across? My stereo has been moved to the overhead console. It seemed like a good place to put the gauges and while I am going to change my stereo maybe it isn't a issue. Or I can get cups that mount on the dash bar of my cage.

And of course AEM has a newer A/F gauge now since I bought mine 4 years ago.

I really like the Dakota Digital stuff. Really clean and simple looking. I've never used them, but dreamed about it. I know it's not wallet friendly.

I'd go with the AEM if you can match the look of the wideband. It has to look good, even in a dirty jeep.

I really like the Dakota Digital stuff. Really clean and simple looking. I've never used them, but dreamed about it. I know it's not wallet friendly.

I'd go with the AEM if you can match the look of the wideband. It has to look good, even in a dirty jeep.

Yep I've always wanted to build an older truck with a Dakota Digital dash. I installed one of their digital dashes on my exwifes Harley Sportster a few years ago.

AEM doesn't make a air pressure gauge so I can't use them for that but I think I have it figured out. I'll use that triple HKI gauge for my air pressures and then two AEM gauges on either side.

Another option is a post light. This is from Amazon.

PilotLights 12 Volt DC Instrument Panel Light, Post Light - Red LED, 12VDC

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I can't see the value in watching the locker pressure. Digital would drive me nuts. There are plenty of 2" dual needle gauges out there that light up. Just watch master and the air suspension pressure. Personally I'd do black background gauge like the cluster but beyond that I wouldn't worry about matching. The trans temp and AF gauge is a great idea too.

I was watching it just to make sure it didn't ever become too high and cause issues. Also so that if a locker wasn't working for some reason I could rule out it being an air pressure issue. It helped once when I had my rear line get melted on my exhaust and I knew right away why my OBA was running. But I get too TMI also.
I'm mixed on if I really want digital or not. I had looked at some of the dual needle gauges and thought about using one for the ARB and AiRock and then a single needle for Main.

I had used that same gray to paint the dash so I used it to paint the panel.

Your panel looks good. It's also nice to see a little dirt on the dash, sometimes I think it's just me.

It looks worse right now as it has had mud on it for a while. I'll clean it when I take the whole interior out so I can Lizard Skin it. I was thinking/hoping I would have it driving by late summer but I think it might be next year before I am done working on it. Dash gauges are close to last on the list but I'll buy them soon most likely.

I've had these two working well for over two years.

PIC Gauge 202L-158D 1.5" Dial, 0/60 psi Range, 1/8" Male NPT Connection Size, Center Back Mount Glycerine Filled Pressure Gauge with a Stainless Steel Case, Brass Internals, Stainless Steel Bezel, and Polycarbonate Lens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBKYAWS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

NEW STAINLESS STEEL LIQUID FILLED PRESSURE GAUGE WOG WATER OIL GAS 0 to 160 PSI CENTER BACK MOUNT 0-160 1/4" NPT MALE 2.5" FACE DIAL FOR COMPRESSOR HYDRAULIC AIR TANK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BC09544/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20190326_170208.jpg