Aftermarket Gauge Selection

I used the oil filled gauges also but am wondering if it is really needed? I did it thinking I would have a ton of vibration driving down some of our FS roads but it ain't that bad.

Who's hand throttle is that? A lot better than the bike lever I tried.

IMG00931.jpg

I used the oil filled gauges also but am wondering if it is really needed? I did it thinking I would have a ton of vibration driving down some of our FS roads but it ain't that bad.
I've only know these two. The small one is for my rear load support air bags. When the bags are filled, the needle jumps with the terrain. I can only imagine it would be very buzzy without the oil.

FWiW, I also added some extra glycerine to reduce the size of the bubble a bit. It makes the gauge look a little less cluttered.

Who's hand throttle is that? A lot better than the bike lever I tried.

View attachment 84943

The lever is a Shimano DuraAce from the 80's. The mount is a Paul Thumbie used to put a down tube shift lever onto the handlebars. These are spare parts from another hobby.

I've only know these two. The small one is for my rear load support air bags. When the bags are filled, the needle jumps with the terrain. I can only imagine it would be very buzzy without the oil.

FWiW, I also added some extra glycerine to reduce the size of the bubble a bit. It makes the gauge look a little less cluttered.
I screwed up my first set of gauges because the little rubber nipple on the rear said to "Cut Here" so I did not knowing better and wasn't smart enough to ask. So now the fluid has turn color and looks like crap. I'll take a picture next time I am out in the Jeep.
With my system I have never had any needle jump that I noticed but I also have check valves installed inline.
I do have a air leak some where in my air system and it is one of the issues I am going to fix.

The lever is a Shimano DuraAce from the 80's. The mount is a Paul Thumbie used to put a down tube shift lever onto the handlebars. These are spare parts from another hobby.
Dang those are some expensive parts from looking at them now. I'm still trying to figure out a way to control the throttle without having to use my right foot.

With my system I have never had any needle jump that I noticed but I also have check valves installed inline.

A check valve would do that. Though I wonder what part of the system your gauge would be reading. My gauge is between the fill valve and the bags and reads the bag pressure.

Dang those are some expensive parts from looking at them now. I'm still trying to figure out a way to control the throttle without having to use my right foot.

Bike parts are spendy. The vintage stuff can be really spendy. :)

I'd have to draw you a diagram. I put a T in the line going to each system and just put a check valve after the T before going to the gauge. So far it seems to have worked as it reads when the pressure is low or high. I worried if it would read accurately too. The controller for the AiRock will display each air bags pressure and the position of the height sensor.

Mine is home made and really crude.

Pump head>>check valve>>manifold>>fill valve>>drain valve>>gauge>>bags

It sounds like yours is reading the line pressure before the controller.

Last edited:
Each of these air pressure regulator/filters is plumbed to 1) ARB & 2) AiRock using 1/4" line.
IMG00273.jpg

The main air has coalescing filter and then larger check valve to unload the compressor. I don't remember where I got that diagram but it might have been from the Kilby site years ago.
IMG00685.jpg

Then it goes into the distribution block where I pull the air to the regulator/filters and then to the air tank. I need to go back and redo this where the air line runs to the tank from the check valve and then back up to the distribution block. Again on my list of things to fix during my rebuild. There are check valves on the 1/4" lines also. Just trying to keep each system isolated from each other.

Air tank mounted on drivers side inside frame rail.

IMG00687.jpg

This was how I had the single regulator/filter mounted when I was going to run the ARB compressor for the lockers.
IMG00684.jpg

Then I built a bracket to hold both regulator/filters.
IMG00277.jpg

IMG00278.jpg

I have air lines all over my Jeep with the air activated SwayLoc and the air bags plus all the other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Maybe I really don't know. I need to look and see what brand they are and see if I can get parts for them.