Aftermarket hardtop seals

Cory Martin

I've just got a new (old) '03 TJ with an aftermarket hardtop. The previous owner never took the top off, so he didn't know much about it. It's a 2-piece hardtop with the sound-deadening "carpet" throughout the entire inside of the top. I'm pretty sure this Jeep came with a soft top originally, as it still has components attached to the roll bar.
Here's my dilemma: I'd like to put new seals on the hardtop (since it's off for the Summer), but there is "carpet" on the edges of the top (where the seal would adhere) as well as on the front lip of the top (where it comes in contact with the windshield).
There's also a rubber gasket along the top of the windshield, which kind of messes with my plan to put on a windshield channel for a Bimini top.
Short of cutting or grinding off the carpet to get a good surface area to adhere to, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Outside.jpg

Inside.jpg

Front lip.jpg

Can't help with the carpeted hard top surfaces, other than ask if the carpet can be removed...

As far as the rubber gasket on the top of the windshield frame, that pretty much is a permanent thing, although it can be removed/replaced. All headers for soft tops, bikini tops, or safari tops, that mount on the top of the windshield, mount on top of that rubber gasket.

There are windshield headers that screw to the inside of the windshield frame, however. Those can stay in place when the soft top or hard top are reinstalled. The clamp-type bikini headers that go on the top of the windshield have to be removed to reinstall the soft and/or hard tops.

Can't help with the carpeted hard top surfaces, other than ask if the carpet can be removed...

As far as the rubber gasket on the top of the windshield frame, that pretty much is a permanent thing, although it can be removed/replaced. All headers for soft tops, bikini tops, or safari tops, that mount on the top of the windshield, mount on top of that rubber gasket.

There are windshield headers that screw to the inside of the windshield frame, however. Those can stay in place when the soft top or hard top are reinstalled. The clamp-type bikini headers that go on the top of the windshield have to be removed to reinstall the soft and/or hard tops.
Very helpful, thank you!