Air locker help

97TJNM

High Desert Redneck
Supporting Member
Hey all!

While tearing into my axles to run a gear pattern, I ran across an air locker in the front diff of my Dana 44 I'm rehabbing. While not necessarily a problem, I was told by the guy I bought my axles from that it had an e-locker in the front and an ARB air locker in the rear. He may have just got it backwards and fhe e-locker is in the rear, I haven't broken open the rear yet. Can anyone identify this air locker?
20220420_110326.jpg
20220420_110341.jpg
20220420_110345.jpg
20220420_110348.jpg

Of lesser importance, but if anyone could answer, I'd be grateful: does anyone know what brand ring gear this is? It has a K inside a circle stamped into it. Also, the ring gear has a noticeable dark half and light half. Is this a problem? Is this just surface staining from the bottom half of the ring gear sitting in the gear oil for a few years?

Thanks for any feedback!

Easy to check to rear for an e-locker vs. an air locker - is it wires or an air line coming out of the diff?

I assume you are worried about getting down to 5psi because you are not running a Rubicon pump setup. If that's the case, you can certainly run a regulator off the pump - but I'm not sure how accurate those are that low as I've never personally tried it.

Reactions: Apparition
Easy to check to rear for an e-locker vs. an air locker - is it wires or an air line coming out of the diff?

I assume you are worried about getting down to 5psi because you are not running a Rubicon pump setup. If that's the case, you can certainly run a regulator off the pump - but I'm not sure how accurate those are that low as I've never personally tried it.
That is what I was thinking. A regulator down to 5psi is kinda sketchy, I think. The front and rear both have wires exiting the housing. So at some point, these axles ran e-lockers on both. I'm about to crack open the rear diff and see what's there.

Well, the rear is an ARB. So that's nice at least. Any good recommendations on a regulator that will throttle an ARB air pump to 5psi? Or anyone got a Rubi air pump they want to sell?!🤣
20220420_114311.jpg

Although I've not used one of these for this application, I've had great experience with Norgren regulators. Their R07 mini series would be perfect. I'd recommend this one: R07-100-RGAA

It's about $40 from here (I have no experience with that website, so buy at your own risk): https://www.onehydraulics.com/products/r07-100-rgaa

Finally, here's a breakdown of the Norgren R07 series part numbering scheme:

1650478709661.png

The one I recommended above has the following parameters (highlighted above):
  • 1/8" NPT ports (from the 4th and 10th digits)
  • It's a relieving type (from the 7th digit, and meaning that downstream pressure rises due to temperature will bleed down, protecting that precious Rubi diaphragm)
  • It comes with a pressure gauge (from the 8th digit)
  • It's adjustment range is 1 to 10 psi (from the 9th digit)
  • It can handle 250psi maximum from the compressor
Typically, you buy a regulator for a set point somewhere between 25-30% and 70-75% of the range, shooting for the middle. 1-10psi should work perfectly for the Rubi lockers.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Reviews say it isn't accurate at low pressure though, which might be a concern.

As I noted, regulators should be sized for the desired set point. A 200 psi regulator would be good for set points from about 50psi up to about 150psi to be reliable long term. That's why people have had trouble with that one at low pressures.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Although I've not used one of these for this application, I've had great experience with Norgren regulators. Their R07 mini series would be perfect. I'd recommend this one: R07-100-RGAA

It's about $40 from here (I have no experience with that website, so buy at your own risk): https://www.onehydraulics.com/products/r07-100-rgaa

View attachment 324285

• It's a relieving type (from the 7th digit, and meaning that downstream pressure rises due to temperature will bleed down, protecting that precious Rubi diaphragm)
Typically, you buy a regulator for a set point somewhere between 25-30% and 70-75% of the range, shooting for the middle. 1-10psi should work perfectly for the Rubi lockers.

Good luck!
Great information, Sab. Semper Discens indeed.

Reactions: 97TJNM and sab
Well, hell, looks like I can get the Kia pump new on Amazon right now.

It may be $333 bucks, which makes me want to have a stroke, but at least I know I can get one when I'm ready, if I have to go that route.

• Wow
Reactions: PRNDL

View attachment 324285

Good luck!
Man, that's some good info! Thanks for the explanation. I'll look into it!

Reactions: sab