Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I see a frame stretch in your future.... Just let me know when.... And let me get mine running, then I can came down and watch before we go hit all the trails.
Not in the short term but likely in the future. I'd like to use the corners I have a few times before needing to replace them lol.

I'm thinking about changing the clutch and while the transmission/atlas is off try and raise the belly to the ultra-high UCF skid. I Think if I clock the atlas I could make it fit but my concern is that I'd need to rotate the rear axle and thus F up the outboard. If it's as simple as cutting the lower mounts and moving them though I don't have a problem with that. I really don't want to get into a situation where I need to cut out the towers.

I modified the tire carrier to be 1.25" higher. My idea was to add a Barnes 1/4" mounting plate to the carrier by drilling an additional set of 5x4.5 holes exactly 1.25 above the ones they had so I could use the old studs as plug welds and be assured the new holes were the right height.

The holes were a major pita to line up but ultimately I made a template with a piece of plywood then used that to transfer the wholes to the taller position.

At first I thought I got lucky and cleared the 15" wheel but the carrier was making contact and the tire wouldn't sit flat.

I cut out a section of the carrier to gain clearance then added some angle iron to the back side to return the integrity.

Then lots of of welding since the mounting bracket had just about every pattern drilled into it. I used a piece of copper to help fill the top 3 holes that didn't contact the oem carrier.

Finally I added a brace to support the taller mount.

All in it took about 3hrs. With any luck, I'll be done tomorrow. I need to finish up the wiring, adjust the rubber bumpers, and reinstall the gas tank.
More than one way to skin a cat.

To raise mine I cut off the top mounting area and added a piece of angle, then added the difference to the bottom and reinforced with a cap plate. Then gussets to the stress areas. Not sure either is faster or better but just another way to do it for anyone else modding these things.

. 29E18CEB-231E-439E-BBCC-8B3D48A7AD37.jpegB0530F37-82E5-4525-AFEB-3266AA903A54.jpegB0530F37-82E5-4525-AFEB-3266AA903A54.jpegFC721CCD-B3B3-409D-A3D3-FC7A8142DD00.jpegC75B7D91-E947-4C9B-95AD-2EB331A2BB11.jpeg

I did something similar to raise mine.

I cut both the upper and lower flanges off and welded the carrier to a piece of plate. Looking back I wish I had designed it to center the spare as well. One of t
these days I'll redo it.

IMG_8614.JPG

IMG_8615.JPG

I did something similar to raise mine.

I cut both the upper and lower flanges off and welded the carrier to a piece of plate. Looking back I wish I had designed it to center the spare as well. One of t
these days I'll redo it.

View attachment 235372

View attachment 235373
This is how I did mine before the GR carrier, I also cut it down to fit closer to the tailgate and cut the rubber bumpers down too.😍

This is how I did mine before the GR carrier, I also cut it down to fit closer to the tailgate and cut the rubber bumpers down too.😍
Thats a great idea. Not good enough for me to rip it off and do it again though lol.

It's all buttoned up. Last item on the list is the shorter psc reservoir, hasn't shipped yet, and its ready for Moab.
20210317_220819.jpg

Thats a great idea. Not good enough for me to rip it off and do it again though lol.

It's all buttoned up. Last item on the list is the shorter psc reservoir, hasn't shipped yet, and its ready for Moab.
View attachment 235381
Very nice! You made lots of changes since your last trip to Moab, it’s a different Jeep.

View attachment 235381
I didn't realize you were such a fan of Carson Daly and Total Request Live?

Not in the short term but likely in the future. I'd like to use the corners I have a few times before needing to replace them lol.

I'm thinking about changing the clutch and while the transmission/atlas is off try and raise the belly to the ultra-high UCF skid. I Think if I clock the atlas I could make it fit but my concern is that I'd need to rotate the rear axle and thus F up the outboard. If it's as simple as cutting the lower mounts and moving them though I don't have a problem with that. I really don't want to get into a situation where I need to cut out the towers.
What’s wrong with your clutch? How much extra clearance do you get with the UH UCF? Pinion would have to move but it would be slight I think. Relocating the lower perches should accommodate. Looks amazing. You’ve done a ton of work. Just imagine how much all that would cost in labor alone!

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
What’s wrong with your clutch? How much extra clearance do you get with the UH UCF? Pinion would have to move but it would be slight I think. Relocating the lower perches should accommodate. Looks amazing. You’ve done a ton of work. Just imagine how much all that would cost in labor alone!
I'm still in the research phase but I would guess it's somewhere in the 1-1.5" range of additional tuck. - It would likely be a next winter project.

Nothing is wrong with the clutch. On occasion, it feels like it's slipping a bit while first engages but it's minimal. I believe it's the OEM part though and I'd rather replace it on my time than when it absolutely needs it.

I'm still in the research phase but I would guess it's somewhere in the 1-1.5" range of additional tuck. - It would likely be a next winter project.

Nothing is wrong with the clutch. On occasion, it feels like it's slipping a bit while first engages but it's minimal. I believe it's the OEM part though and I'd rather replace it on my time than when it absolutely needs it.
I put off doing the clutch for a little over a year before it became absolutely necessary. Now I hope the throw out bearing gives me a good many years bc I’m not looking forward to getting in there again. The good news is it’s great now and the Royal purple makes for very smooth shifting.

Mother nature is doing her part to get all the fine grinding dust off the jeep. While putting the top on the mailman asked if I'm too worried to take it off road now 🤣
View attachment 235512View attachment 235513
Looks like mother nature decided to piss on all of our projects today, I was gonna try to put my steering in at some point but no way in hell am I gonna work outside under the jeep when its pouring:ROFLMAO: