Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

no update? now i'm feelin like a heel, if he coulda been done and is still chasing a chunk of tube.
I drilled a 3/4" hole in the bottom for drainage... and spent 3x more time cleaning up the tiny metal shards so they don't end up in the kids feet. Smallest update ever.
20210314_094435.jpg

Hopefully Monday I get to finish it up.

Last edited:
Finished up the rear tuck. I just need to reinstall the bumper, tank, and raise the carrier so the tire doesn't hit the hitch.

The hardest part was getting the shape of the cap right. I can't say I'm proud of the vertical welds on the fishplate on the crossmemeber side, but they were the most awkward, unreachable welds I've ever done. I also added 3 plug welds on both sides of the cut to be safe. The rest looked good though and I'm quite confident the rear section of the frame is going to stay where its at.
20210315_154516.jpg

Figured I'd take some photos of the welds because they won't ever be seen do to grinding them flat.
20210315_213158.jpg
20210315_213213.jpg
20210315_231047.jpg
20210316_001931.jpg
20210316_001939.jpg

Finished up the rear tuck. I just need to reinstall the bumper, tank, and raise the carrier so the tire doesn't hit the hitch.

The hardest part was getting the shape of the cap right. I can't say I'm proud of the vertical welds on the fishplate on the crossmemeber side, but they were the most awkward, unreachable welds I've ever done. I also added 3 plug welds on both sides of the cut to be safe. The rest looked good though and I'm quite confident the rear section of the frame is going to stay where its at.View attachment 234762
Figured I'd take some photos of the welds because they won't ever be seen do to grinding them flat.
View attachment 234763View attachment 234764View attachment 234765View attachment 234766View attachment 234767
Man I just cant get enough of that fresh armor! Looking good pal!👍

Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
Man I just cant get enough of that fresh armor! Looking good pal!👍
I'm really happy with how the paint came out. I figured it look good from 10ft away but it came out much better. Of course, there are some flaws in it but unless you're looking for them they'd be hard to spot.

it does look good.
i'm torn between leaving the armor raw and just brushing it, or having it painted.
i'd like to get the whole jeep repainted OE khaki when i'm done, but i'm not sure yet about the armor.

do you recall the length of the patch piece? i have tube scraps, and b4 they get tossed i'll cut several of those from them. i would have offered some but didn't wanna hold this up another wk for shipping.

Reactions: Wildman
it does look good.
i'm torn between leaving the armor raw and just brushing it, or having it painted.
i'd like to get the whole jeep repainted OE khaki when i'm done, but i'm not sure yet about the armor.

do you recall the length of the patch piece? i have tube scraps, and b4 they get tossed i'll cut several of those from them. i would have offered some but didn't wanna hold this up another wk for shipping.
The cap was just under 6".

The hardest part was getting the shape of the cap right. I can't say I'm proud of the vertical welds on the fishplate on the crossmemeber side, but they were the most awkward, unreachable welds I've ever done. I also added 3 plug welds on both sides of the cut to be safe. The rest looked good though and I'm quite confident the rear section of the frame is going to stay where its at.View attachment 234762
View attachment 234763View attachment 234764View attachment 234765View attachment 234766View attachment 234767
Nice work!

Reactions: Wildman
looks great, but what I want to know is...what are you going to do with your spare time now?!!
I tend to start from the top of the list and redo everything. Maybe crawlTek highlines, with GR boat sides, a TNT stretch, and coil overs :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just curious if you're bringing your paint booth and set up to TJ Fest? Asking for a friend.
I need to talk to @Chris about an "upgrade trail ride". We can offer a lift install station, tire change, outboard, and midarm station, and lastly paint. That way you can do an upgrade, feel the impact, then move to the next step. By the end of the trail, you'll have an official "wranglertjforum approved" build.

I'm waiting on Chris to lock down the Savvy, Poly, fox, and Goodyear sponsorships.

I need to talk to @Chris about an "upgrade trail ride". We can offer a lift install station, tire change, outboard, and midarm station, and lastly paint. That way you can do an upgrade, feel the impact, then move to the next step. By the end of the trail, you'll have an official "wranglertjforum approved" build.

I'm waiting on Chris to lock down the Savvy, Poly, fox, and Goodyear sponsorships.
i did think about some sort of buy/sell/trade swap meet out there.
a post of spare parts attending members could list their items and if willing maybe tote along for others heading out there.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
i did think about some sort of buy/sell/trade swap meet out there.
a post of spare parts attending members could list their items and if willing maybe tote along for others heading out there.
That's a great idea.

That's a great idea.
in the market around here Savvy, Currie, GR parts have penny on the dollar value. even NIB don't mean much, but if you could set up swaps at least you can get some value from your original investment dealing with like minded people.

if i make it out. i got a Savvy GTS i might consider trading, Currectlync steering, MC springs n shocks (hell most of an MC 3.5" lift),
some centrimatics. i got NIB Revo american made shafts for a Dana 30, nobody around here even responded to the ad, at what i need to recover, but i'd trade um for something good.
i could list all this crap long ago but have no desire to deal with remote payments and shipping

Reactions: JMT