Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

Roughly 2 weeks to ship because they had to make a new batch. @Chris's got sent out the next day though, no flare version.
Can't believe I'm considering Genright highlines. Save $500 on Goodyear tires to spend $2,000 on highlines. And then the proper front axle after that, LOL.

Can't believe I'm considering Genright highlines. Save $500 on Goodyear tires to spend $2,000 on highlines. And then the proper front axle after that, LOL.
It's hard not to jump in the rabbit hole. 37's do look at home on an LJ though.

Have you looked at the crawltek fenders as well? I don't believe they have flares but Blaine seems to prefer them lately.

It's hard not to jump in the rabbit hole. 37's do look at home on an LJ though.

Have you looked at the crawltek fenders as well? I don't believe they have flares but Blaine seems to prefer them lately.
Not in depth. I'll check them out this evening I do remember him saying something about them.

Reactions: Wildman
Not in depth. I'll check them out this evening I do remember him saying something about them.
They only come in steel but if I recall correctly he liked the design of the battery support more and they provide additional room behind the tire.

The GR's would look great too.

I modified the tire carrier to be 1.25" higher. My idea was to add a Barnes 1/4" mounting plate to the carrier by drilling an additional set of 5x4.5 holes exactly 1.25 above the ones they had so I could use the old studs as plug welds and be assured the new holes were the right height.
20210316_181841.jpg

The holes were a major pita to line up but ultimately I made a template with a piece of plywood then used that to transfer the wholes to the taller position.

20210316_182140.jpg

20210316_191109.jpg

At first I thought I got lucky and cleared the 15" wheel but the carrier was making contact and the tire wouldn't sit flat.

20210316_190954.jpg

I cut out a section of the carrier to gain clearance then added some angle iron to the back side to return the integrity.
20210316_212231.jpg
20210316_212236.jpg

Then lots of of welding since the mounting bracket had just about every pattern drilled into it. I used a piece of copper to help fill the top 3 holes that didn't contact the oem carrier.
20210316_223416.jpg

Finally I added a brace to support the taller mount.
20210316_223501.jpg

All in it took about 3hrs. With any luck, I'll be done tomorrow. I need to finish up the wiring, adjust the rubber bumpers, and reinstall the gas tank.

Last edited:
I modified the tire carrier to be 1.25" higher. My idea was to add a Barnes 1/4" mounting plate to the carrier by drilling an additional set of 5x4.5 holes exactly 1.25 above the ones they had so I could use the old studs as plug welds and be assured the new holes were the right height.
View attachment 235045

The holes were a major pita to line up but ultimately I made a template with a piece of plywood then used that to transfer the wholes to the taller position.

View attachment 235046
View attachment 235048

At first I thought I got lucky and cleared the 15" wheel but the carrier was making contact and the tire wouldn't sit flat.

View attachment 235047

I cut out a section of the carrier to gain clearance then added some angle iron to the back side to return the integrity. View attachment 235049View attachment 235050

Then lots of of welding since the mounting bracket had just about every pattern drilled into it. I used a piece of copper to help fill the top 3 holes that didn't contact the oem carrier. View attachment 235051

View attachment 235052

All in it took about 3hrs. With any luck I'll be done tomorrow. I need to finish up the wiring and reinstall the gas tank.
That’s intense

This thing is coming together nicely! Jealous of the BCE :LOL:, whats next after the gas tank gets back together?
I called PSC today and found out that they do in fact still make the shorter 7.25" reservoir. I have that on order so I can replace the one I have because it's not as high as I'd like it to be.

After that, I'm done until Moab.

I called PSC today and found out that they do in fact still make the shorter 7.25" reservoir. I have that on order so I can replace the one I have because it's not as high as I'd like it to be.

Cannot wait to actually see this thing, sadly ill be on the "other" trails being on 33s :LOL: Is it driveable/wheelable as is or do you need PSCs reservoir, asking due to the possible shakedown this weekend. I'm finishing my front end and ordering a TW rear driveshaft, so hopefully I can make it this weekend if we do go.

Cannot wait to actually see this thing, sadly ill be on the "other" trails being on 33s :LOL: Is it driveable/wheelable as is or do you need PSCs reservoir, asking due to the possible shakedown this weekend. I'm finishing my front end and ordering a TW rear driveshaft, so hopefully I can make it this weekend if we do go.
It can be run as-is. It would take a fairly steep incline to starve the pump. I need to figure out what the wife is up to this weekend. I believe she's fairly booked with photoshoots, her side hussle, so I may be required to what the little ones. Ideally, I'd like to get it on a shakedown run before Moab but we'll see how that works out.

View attachment 235045

View attachment 235046
View attachment 235048

View attachment 235047

I cut out a section of the carrier to gain clearance then added some angle iron to the back side to return the integrity. View attachment 235049View attachment 235050

Then lots of of welding since the mounting bracket had just about every pattern drilled into it. I used a piece of copper to help fill the top 3 holes that didn't contact the oem carrier. View attachment 235051

View attachment 235052

All in it took about 3hrs. With any luck, I'll be done tomorrow. I need to finish up the wiring, adjust the rubber bumpers, and reinstall the gas tank.
Great to see such a strong commitment to carrying a spare. Nice work. It’s never a bad day when can get out the welder.

View attachment 235045

View attachment 235046
View attachment 235048

View attachment 235047

View attachment 235052

Good work buddy!! Add weep/drain hole(s) for the brace if you haven't already.

Jeep looks way better than before!

I think that welder has paid for itself by now! Good work dude!
I think you're right. I was severely handicapping myself all these years by not learning to weld. It really opens up a ton more doors. I finally feel like I'm starting to be able to read the weld a bit better and make fine adjustments. Just in time to put the welder away for a while and forget everything.

I think you're right. I was severely handicapping myself all these years by not learning to weld. It really opens up a ton more doors. I finally feel like I'm starting to be able to read the weld a bit better and make fine adjustments. Just in time to put the welder away for a while and forget everything.
Yep, that's usually how it works. Just like painting, lol! Keep your skillz frosty by fixing other jeepers shit, lol!

You stated " After that, I'm done until Moab. "

Alex, We all know that's BS.

You have an addiction to Jeep upgrades 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hello my name is Alex and I'm a Jeep-upgrade-aholic

Either way your jeep is looking fantastic and you have created many jealous fans

You stated " After that, I'm done until Moab. "

Alex, We all know that's BS.

You have an addiction to Jeep upgrades 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hello my name is Alex and I'm a Jeep-upgrade-aholic

Either way your jeep is looking fantastic and you have created many jealous fans
I said until Moab lol. I prefer to have the jeep in one piece prior to loading it on the trailer lol. When it gets back I have a small list of things I want to do that likely will snowball into a ton of work.

I said until Moab lol. I prefer to have the jeep in one piece prior to loading it on the trailer lol. When it gets back I have a small list of things I want to do that likely will snowball into a ton of work.

I see a frame stretch in your future.... Just let me know when.... And let me get mine running, then I can came down and watch before we go hit all the trails.