Alignment needed, what type of shop should I be looking for?

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
Looking for a shop to do an alignment.
I'll check tire pressures & rotate them (all 5) before taking it in.
Is there a specific capability or alignment technique that I should be looking for from the shop in order to get the best results?

This will be a drop-off & pick-up type of project.
I don't have the time, energy, or resources to do it myself.

Any alignment shop can do it if that's all you need done. If it's more involved take it to a 4X4 shop.

It’s less time/effort to do the alignment than rotate the tires. 2 4ft aluminum levels, 2 identical tape measures and some bungee cords.
I didn't know I was supposed to be using 2 identical tape measures all the years I have been setting my toe-in. :)

To clarify, I am still recovering from a motorcycle accident and need to take this into a shop that’s capable of doing it right.
I just want to make sure that I get the alignment that’s appropriate for this setup, and if that means any parts, I want them to handle it.
32” tires shouldn’t be an issue for most shops, but short wheelbase vehicles need it to be right to avoid oversteer, which is what we are starting to experience.
This makes for an exhausting workout to drive.

Looking for a shop to do an alignment.
I'll check tire pressures & rotate them (all 5) before taking it in.
Is there a specific capability or alignment technique that I should be looking for from the shop in order to get the best results?

Took mine to Les Schwab after I installed a 3" lift and 33s. They set the caster, toe, and centered the steering wheel. Was cheap and drives perfect.

If the jeep has stock arms they can set the toe- and re center the wheel. I can do this faster than I can drive to any shop.

The camber is fixed, but can be manipulated with offset ball joints. This is rarely done.

The caster is fixed with non adjustable arms , but can be changed with a caster bolt kit...the merit of this has been debated by more accomplished people than myself.

To answer your question, a TJ is so non demanding the most basic of machines can set the toe.

Most importantly, heal up.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Set the ......... and let it go.
Disclaimer:
This is not @Zorba's toe. 🤫

toe (2).jpg

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: MikekiM