All around Jeep

I would like to run 35s and not have to worry about blowing up my rear ever is the super 35 kit worth the money or should I just swap in a 44
The right Super 35 kit is more than up to 35's on very tough trails, it was extensively tested on trails in Johnson Valley CA that would scare the crap out of 99.9% of offroaders.

By 'right' I mean a good brand with 30 spline axle shafts like Revolution Gear & Axle makes. Some so-called "Super 35" kits are very misleading, some only come with 27 spline shafts like the stock Dana 35 has. Technically the axle shafts in a good brand of Super 35 kit like from Revolution Gear are slightly stronger than a stock Dana 44's axle shafts are.

I personally wouldn't even consider an 8.8 when the Super 35 is a good quick easily installed solution. It comes with your choice of several lockers too. Talk with Ricky at www.4lowparts.com about the RGA Super 35 kit, he's a good guy and a hardcore Jeeper too. Not to mention the 8.8 has lower ground clearance under its huge pumpkin and its pinion is offset slightly to the side so the driveshaft is forced to work into two angles instead of one.

Last edited:
alright the last thing I need to know is how cheaply can the ford 8.8 swap be done my father is a professional welder and very good at fab and we have the consumables for welding at fab but well probably need the mount kits and such also im hoping the axles wont be rusted since thats not really a problem where I Live. @Chris @Jerry Bransford

The Ford 8.8 is a pointless swap if you ask me, @Jerry Bransford will agree. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

A built Super 35 is just as good as a Ford 8.8 and can handle 35s just fine, even in the toughest terrain. The Ford 8.8 has no place under any Wrangler other than maybe a YJ.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I don't think you will find much love for the 8.8 rear here. If it is a Dana 35 maybe upgrade to the super 35 kit and a locker.
X2. That’s my plan down the road. as much as I’d like a 44 rear it’ll be easier to buy a S35 kit like one from 4lowparts.

Reactions: cliffish
so
Yep, Super 35 is the way to go (y)
if im going to do the super 35 this would be a good time to regear and i would like to go to 35's one day and do some towing would 5.13's or would 4.88's be the right call I do drive on the freeway alot

sorry for the late response I was focusing on my zoom education. The super 35 seems like the unanimous answer
To be fair a used TJ Dana 44 can be found cheaper than a Super 35 cost. Plus, selling a Dana 35 can offset a small amount of cost if you can manage to find someone to buy it...

Revolution's Super 35 uses Chinese made axle shafts. However Dutchman Axle can build you a Super 35 axle shaft that is American made if it matters to you. Duthman American made axles can be had for less than $300.

Jerry runs a swapped 44 not a Super 35 on 35's. His Dana 44 cost him less than a Super 35.

so

if im going to do the super 35 this would be a good time to regear and i would like to go to 35's one day and do some towing would 5.13's or would 4.88's be the right call I do drive on the freeway alot

Yes, now would be the ideal time TJ re-gear.

To be fair a used TJ Dana 44 can be found cheaper than a Super 35 cost.
I agree but think it may also be based on location. I’ve seen a TJ Dana 44 with all brackets for $500 but not sure OP will find that in CA. Another factor is patience. I know I’ve gotten stuck on an idea and cost myself in long run by rushing to get it. If you just put on 33s don’t be in rush to do either super 35 or Dana 44 right now. Watch FB, CL, etc. for deal on Dana 44. If doing locker, gears, shafts, etc all need is straight housing. If you get to point that are ready to move to 35s and haven’t found cost effective Dana 44, the super 35 kit will still be readily available.

I agree but think it may also be based on location. I’ve seen a TJ Dana 44 with all brackets for $500 but not sure OP will find that in CA. Another factor is patience. I know I’ve gotten stuck on an idea and cost myself in long run by rushing to get it. If you just put on 33s don’t be in rush to do either super 35 or Dana 44 right now. Watch FB, CL, etc. for deal on Dana 44. If doing locker, gears, shafts, etc all need is straight housing. If you get to point that are ready to move to 35s and haven’t found cost effective Dana 44, the super 35 kit will still be readily available.
yeah thats true thanks for the advice guys and yeah ive looked up and down the state and dana 44's are a hot ticket item with an actual one with gears being about 1500 -2000 and one thats just the housing for 700 with the brackets cut off maybe ill just drive to the south and itll be cheaper

Reactions: Fouledplugs
yeah
Check car-part for a junk yard 44. 04-06 LJ's came with them stock to simplify your search.
Ive known about the lj but it seems like anytime I go to a pull apart or or see a jeep in the yard its a 35 or the 44 is missing i was gonna drive 5 hours up to san Francisco but it sold maybe out of state it would be easier to find.

builds going well i did find a dana 44 but I always have it in the back of my mind i should have bought this one when i had the chance.

Snapseed.jpg

Last edited:
but my jeeps just fine Im going to head out to the pismo dunes / oceano dunes this weekend if anybody else would wanna come ?

went to the Pismo dunes jeep did well I need to flush the cooling system and put new coolant and probably get a hood louver for heat and because i think it looks cool.

I thought my car looked kinda like like an rc car and im hoping maybe i could win ride of the month but I dont know the rules

IMG-2639.jpg

Reactions: j8ksdad