All Terrain vs Mud Terrain for Daily Driver

What conditions do you off road in?
higher than 90% on road use, since it is my daily. My off road is limited to some trips with my local Jeep Forum, some weekends and vacations.

My off road use is all kind of terrains. Snow, ice, mud, sand, rocks. Not Rock crawling though.

I am not REALLY extreme things, but I am trying to challenge myself and my Jeep as much as I can. Safety first though. haha

31” ATs they do just fine

View attachment 234222

Almost twins.

417DCAEB-4949-4DCF-89E0-9465F01C9ADE.jpeg

higher than 90% on road use, since it is my daily. My off road is limited to some trips with my local Jeep Forum, some weekends and vacations.

My off road use is all kind of terrains. Snow, ice, mud, sand, rocks. Not Rock crawling though.

I am not REALLY extreme things, but I am trying to challenge myself and my Jeep as much as I can. Safety first though. haha
You will enjoy KO2s then. They still perform very well offroad. Here’s me with my old 33” KO2s
134CA87A-E568-45FB-8F42-DD225606F8E6.png

You should try swapping in some black or body color head light bezels. I think that would make the front look even better. Cheap too.

Side note to that trip, I got death wobble on the way home. Turned out my axle side track bar bolt was loose. Lost the passenger side bezel in the shaking that happened. Bought a new chrome bezel to replace it.

God loves himself some chrome ... or is that the Trucker in me ?

I had AT tires once (BFG). I prefer the look and performance of MT tires offroad for mud , deep snow and everything else. I've never had any problems on the street in any driving conditions (rain, snow, sleet, ice) either. I drive for a living, so I have to drive for hours in all weather conditions or lose my job. I have around 12,000 miles on my current MTs and they still look great.
p.s. The brand of either tire makes a difference too. I bought cheap MTs many years ago and they sucked on and off road. Ridiculously loud too. (Ice, sleet pic below).
View attachment 234211
View attachment 234215
I like the Baja’s but once they hit around 15k miles, they start wearing really fast.
I have about 19k miles on mine and they are 2/3 worn.
I rotate mine every 3-4K, check the balance on them and make sure they are at 27psi.
They weren’t that bad in the snow or rain either.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Side note to that trip, I got death wobble on the way home. Turned out my axle side track bar bolt was loose. Lost the passenger side bezel in the shaking that happened. Bought a new chrome bezel to replace it.

God loves himself some chrome ... or is that the Trucker in me ?
Can’t argue with that! I’m of the, If it isn’t body color it should be black, mind set. Works well with my amber fire pearl body and black Mickey Thompson’s

After moving from The Monterey Bay California to the INW Washington state I learned that mud tires absolutely SUCK on snow covered roads
They do look better than AT's but looks don't count for much when your sliding sideways on an icy road
I don't mind the MT's on dry paved roads

There is such an easy solution for snow that I don't understand why people don't use them.

Tire chains.

On a side note, I've been offroading several times and my bone stock 1/2 ton pickup with Blizzak tires does better than pretty much every Jeep on the trail when there's snow/ice.

Have you considered one of the new "RT" or "RTZ" or whatever they call them "mild MT" hybrid tires?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The problem I'm having is that I want to stay with 33's and the options are fairly limited
I've pretty much got it down to 33x10.5 KO2's or 33x12.5 General ATx's, the Atx's are studable

Do you have access to Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's? I think they're a great tire and personally like the traction and wear over the KO2's. IMHO.
Agree, Falken AT3W is an outstanding tire. Does everything except for deep mud as good as anything out there.

@starkey480 Did it seem like I had bad traction with my Patagonia's? I know my wheelbase helped...

Agree, Falken AT3W is an outstanding tire. Does everything except for deep mud as good as anything out there.

@starkey480 Did it seem like I had bad traction with my Patagonia's? I know my wheelbase helped...
I can’t remember to be honest. Sounds like another wheeling trip is due!

Reactions: Pressurized
I can’t remember to be honest. Sounds like another wheeling trip is due!
Definitely... Need to repair my T-Case. I'm dead in the water right now. NP241OR stuff is all discontinued.

I just see a lot of negative posts on the Patagonia's and have yet to have anything that I didn't climb because of tires. It's been the other way around more often then not. That day on Elvis gatekeeper, the yellow TJ fully locked on brand new KM3's wasn't able to climb it and I was. Tires weren't a problem.

Definitely... Need to repair my T-Case. I'm dead in the water right now. NP241OR stuff is all discontinued.

I just see a lot of negative posts on the Patagonia's and have yet to have anything that I didn't climb because of tires. It's been the other way around more often then not. That day on Elvis gatekeeper, the yellow TJ fully locked on brand new KM3's wasn't able to climb it and I was. Tires weren't a problem.
Ah that sucks! I did a different route when we were all there but I did the climb the next time and found a good line up it. I think everyone was too far to the left but if you go up the right and hug the side it’s a cake walk.