All these accessories but no lockers?

KCravens

Hi,

I am a brand new member doing my due diligence... learning as much as I can before I buy our first Wrangler. Question: Why would an owner of a 2006 LJ put this much aftermarket accessories on the unit with no lockers?

Rancho 3.5 inch suspension lift kit including lower control arms and Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
- Rubicon Express swaybar disconnects
- 4.88 Yukon gears
- ARB Dana 30/44 diff covers
- Cooper Discoverer SST 35x12.50R15 Tires
- Smittybilt SRC front bumper
- Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier
- Bushwacker flat style fender flares
- Smittybilt steps/sliders
- Desert Rat's Desert Rattler 9000lbs winch
- Rampage bowless soft top
- Poison Spider Hood Louver
- Comes with a high lift jack
- A-pillar mounted LED lights
- LED fog lights
- Volant air intake
- New front carpet (helps keep the heat down)
- Tuffy locking glove box
- Superchips Programmer
- Ballistic Fabrication GM 1 Ton Steering

Maybe they were planning on getting around to it?

Unless it's a Rubicon, in which case it has factory lockers.

It's not a Rubicon.

I have good mechanical skills. What kind of project and how much is it to add them?

Adding lunchbox lockers would be easy. Adding selectable lockers (i.e. ARB or Eaton E-Lockers) would not be a job you'd want to take on, even if you have good mechanical skills. That involves the same amount of work as a complete re-gear, and if you haven't done it before, it's all but guaranteed you'll mess it up the first time and potentially do some damage.

8028E912-0A9F-4B06-8641-149E382C3241.png

Vandalized by a parts store?

I haven't seen the vehicle in person yet so I don't know what condition it's in. Any idea what the current market price for installed selectable lockers is here in AZ? Would this install be cost effective vs finding a Rubicon LJ?

I haven't seen the vehicle in person yet so I don't know what condition it's in. Any idea what the current market price for installed selectable lockers is here in AZ? Would this install be cost effective vs finding a Rubicon LJ?
It's my opinion that you don't really need to spend the substantial extra $$$ for a selectable locker there in the Phoenix area since you don't have to contend with snow and ice where the cost of selectable lockers is warranted. Does anyone else drive your Jeep but you? If not I suggest a Detroit Locker in the rear and an inexpensive locker up front... at least if you're going to be doing trails tough enough to require lockers in both axles. A Detroit Locker is extremely well behaved on the street once you've driven it a day or two to master its minor quirks. Actually the Detroit Locker teaches you how it likes to be driven which is essentially just don't power through turns or decelerate hard through turns. Other than that it's fine on the street and awesome plus pretty much bulletproof on the trail.

A lunchbox locker like an Aussie, Lockrite, or No-Slip would be great up front. None of those cause any problems or steering issues on the street in a TJ when in 2wd, despite the warnings in some catalogs. Those warnings are valid for some other vehicles but not our Wranglers.

I would estimate you'd be looking at around $2500 - $3500 to get ARB's installed front and rear (including labor, the pump, etc...). I'm trying to remember what they charged me to install mine, but that number is a bit skewed because I was having gears done at the same time.

You're looking at roughly $950 per locker + $300 pump + labor. Selectable lockers are expensive.

ARBs are roughly $900, plus a $100 compressor, and the labor to install. Not the cheapest. If you scour classifieds you might find one. My rear ARB locker I got for $500, it was installed, then removed as the PO went an entirely different route.