TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
So as many have probably seen a posting of mine over the past 10-ish months I'm doing the V8 Magnum swap in my TJ. I'm now deciding what to do for my air intake. My 2.5 didn't have the factory intake or box, hence why I'm looking into something else. The PO just had an Air Raid open filter with no box or dam under the hood (possible reason behind my engine crapping out). The 5.9 i picked up didn't come with a filter or box, just the stock air hat (and even that is busted so I'm looking for a replacement). I've thought about just doing the stock TJ box, but also thinking of a different option due to the high heat under the hood. I've seen a few different versions of pulling air in from the cowl (like the Windstar filter mod, and even a few "snorkels" that route that way too). I don't think I want a snorkel on a stack or anything like that. But what have others tested that seem to work? And by "work" I mean pull enough air, and possibly even help drop intake air temps as an added bonus?

snorkels are not my thing. and i bet most that have um didn't do the work needed to seal the system anyway.

i run a modified ford bottle w/paper filter from the cowl, and have no trouble with intake flow. it's not hard to do, and bottles are plentiful in scrap yards.
there is also an older mod with a buick box i've heard about but am not familiar with. IIRC it stays in the engine bay.