Aluminum vs. steel gas tank skid

Savvy. I've put a couple light dents on mine since I installed it last year, but nothing that matters. The weight savings and added clearance is well worth it.

Another one for the Savvy GTS, it seems to be as tight in there as possible while giving height benefits with only a minor weight penalty vs stock.

Interesting about the Barnet diff covers locating the fill plug to accommodate a rotated pinion. I was concerned about the stock cover when I rotated mine significantly for the TT. Also good to know early 00’s Ram’s have a higher fill plug On their front Dana 44 diff cover, which probably solves the same dilemma. I wonder if the lower fluid level is really much of an issue?

I think I’d go with Savvy GTS. $389

I'm gonna throw my 2cents in on this one. I have the GenRight Crawler (steel) skid. It's held up really well but if I had to do it over, I'd buy the Savvy GTS. I was planning to buy Savvy until I found the GenRight on craigslist. It was brand new and I picked it up for half price - just couldn't turn down the deal...

The first time you pull a rusted out steel GTSP off you will never consider owning another. Go with Savvy's. That I have never been able to dent it despite some occasionally major impacts on big rocks still amazes me.

You mean like when you go from this, to this ;):

MEvwJFP.jpg

LIXEbTN.jpg

idDBhXl.jpg

Not that you need any more convincing, but I just installed the Savvy last month. Fit and finish are impeccable.
The fact that it comes with all new hardware and straps are a huge selling point in themselves.
The 2" of added clearance is nice too....

gas2.jpg

gas3 (2).jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and Irun
I'm going to throw in another option. Although it's from the company that shall not be named :), the MC gas tank skid is steel on the bottom, aluminum on the sides and lets' you raise it up an inch like the Savvy. It weights about 45lbs, so it's in the middle. It's been working great for me and I'm not the most easy person on my rig.

• Haha
Reactions: The shuggs and Irun
The picture doesn't do it any justice the far left dent is about 3 to 4 inches deep. Had an unexpected rock pivot my rear end and the front slipped off the line. It was a fairly violent few seconds. 😂 big sluice never fails to be an adventure.

20200917_104243.jpg

Wow! I didn’t know about the genright big fuel tank/skid, or the UCF skid. Thanks for the info.

The PO of my TJ put a Kilby on it. Super stout, but 60 lbs! And I’d love to shed that weight.

I now want a 24 gallon genright, but I think the $1500 price tag is going to make that a future purchase!😺

Interesting about the Barnet diff covers locating the fill plug to accommodate a rotated pinion. I was concerned about the stock cover when I rotated mine significantly for the TT. Also good to know early 00’s Ram’s have a higher fill plug On their front Dana 44 diff cover, which probably solves the same dilemma. I wonder if the lower fluid level is really much of an issue?

I think I’d go with Savvy GTS. $389

I've been filling the diffs through the vent tube for a few years. That takes the plug heights and volumes out of the equation.

Reactions: JMT
The picture doesn't do it any justice the far left dent is about 3 to 4 inches deep. Had an unexpected rock pivot my rear end and the front slipped off the line. It was a fairly violent few seconds. 😂 big sluice never fails to be an adventure.

View attachment 190465

Yet another option that doesn't get mentioned enough is cutting and raising the late TJ factory skid an inch.