Am I asking too much for my TJ?

He's in the ballpark ...it just takes the right person.

I would list it further than Facebook marketplace because people will drive a long ways to get one that is a good starting point if they live in the rust belt.

you still haven't told us why you're selling it and why you want to ruin your life. 😃

• Haha
Reactions: Cedar128
Man I am jealous of the prices West of the Mississippi. The Jeeps in my area are stupid expensive. Anything with less than 200k miles you can expect to pay over 9k-10k and if its a rubicon just go ahead and get 15k-18k ready regardless of condition. We hardly see any with less than 120k miles around here too. Also YJ's are all around 5k-7k no matter mileage and year or engine.
I agree! I see these prices out west and it amazes me. I looked for months to find a wrangler that had less than 80,000 miles, not been abused, and had zero rust. I was glad to get mine for 13k.

I agree! I see these prices out west and it amazes me. I looked for months to find a wrangler that had less than 80,000 miles, not been abused, and had zero rust. I was glad to get mine for 13k.

Rust isn’t usually an issue here in Texas, unless it lives at the beach. Not enough ice days here to warrant salt on roads in the winter.

Autotrader is a great gauge, type in an 04/05 Jeep Wrangler, pick zip in Texas and out surrounding 500 miles, and this jeep fits without a doubt.

Remember a Lot of these questions posted, are from Jeep enthusiasts. Parents that are buying a Jeep for their 16 or 17 year old, don’t have a list of mods in mind. I have had more than 10 parents at our HS get one, call me to look, and say “what do I do to make it look cool?” Ha. I see right now Jeeps with more miles listed above 13k, way more miles.
By the way, this is also where Rough Country kills it, parents get a cheap lift and kid is FIRED UP, which is cool with me, then they grow up and learn about high end parts, ha.

It's probably high (but not by much) here in Oregon. A beat up rubicon (not LJ) can be 13k. A really clean rubicon TJ / LJ can be 15-18k

I paid 14k, there is a nice looking mostly stock yellow one near me for 13.5 I think? Been meaning to check it out. If it's as clean as it looks it could be a deal!

Hey man someone offered 11,900, so I sold it for you.

He paid me cash.

It depends on frame/ rust. That’s the main thing. In Ohio hardly any TJs left. I have a JK but missed my TJs so bad, I paid a $3.5K more than yours, but for a rust free ‘04 Rubicon with 34K miles, dual tops, Bartek (sp?) seat covers, new floor. It’s like new.

$13,500 sounds fair for up here in the north east, you can always come down, but NEVER go back up.
If not loose the 13 & do $12,995 ..................for some sales / mental masturbation !

I just turned down $8,500 this morning. I dropped the price to $12,500. I guess I may keep it if I don't get close to that. There are lots of TJs for sale now in Austin.

I just put it on Auto Trader.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
Yeah, I'd turn down $8500 too. That's way too low.

I think you'll sell it at $12,500. You'll just have to be patient though. There is good demand for these still, but it takes the right buyer that has been looking for a while and knows the value of all the stuff you've done to it recently.

I have an ad on Facebook Marketplace for my TJ, but wonder if I priced it a little high. Here is what it says:

2004 Jeep Wrangler X with the 4.0, 6 cylinder engine with a 5-speed manual transmission at 106,000 miles. Within the last year I've installed a new clutch, new rear main seal, new Rancho 5000x Shocks, replaced all the fluids, service the transmission and transfer case, replace the catalytic converter, new carpet, BFG ko2 tires, new oxygen sensors and new fender flares. $13,500.

I know I won't get back what I have in it, but it is time to sell.

On a final note, I've learned a lot from you guys and am a little sad I won't be part of the community.

I think that would be a great price here, especially with the work you've done.

Well, it looks like I've got it sold for $12,500. I'm meeting up with the buyer at the bank in an hour.

Like I said earlier, I've learned a lot from you guys and have enjoyed being here. I'll probably stick around and lurk for awhile, but don't see another TJ in my future.

It was fun, but it is time to move on to motorcycles.

I'm going to make him promise me no angry eye grille.

Last edited: