Am I being selfish?

When I went to look at my new for me TJ, I had to pop it out of gear. The guy at the house did not know how to drive manual and could not move the jeep. I got it out and for a great price. Now it's time to fix it up so my own children are not in the same boat...or Jeep as it may be.

My wife and I have been together for 20+ years. She doesn’t say a word about my truck/Jeep or guns. I had them before her and will have them when she’s gone. I do the same with her.
I never get in her purse.
Never say a word about shopping
Simple guidelines

You are dealing with a creature that can tell you what shoes she wore on your second date, but can't tell you how long the oil light has flashed in the car. It's a tough game.

I went through the same deal early on...got shamed on here a bit ....but basically I was nervous to let her drive it. Why? It was my toy and I didn't want it messed up. I worked hard to get it, to fix it up, to make it mine....as my 3-year-old said one time when he saw another kid in the car buggy at Walmart.. it was mine....I had it first.

And before anybody says anything consider this- we bust out butts for our families, build and buy and maintain yards and homes, sacrifice, put up with enough stupidity at work to near kill us ..all because we know we are in it with her together. We signed up and we are going to stick it out.

Some guys want to tie flies, some guys it's their golf clubs, some guys their boat .. whatever. But mostly what we men crave is a little corner of our lives nobody messes with, all the tools are there , the radio is on our favorite station, the parts come in and we have a few precious hours to see what we can do, something we enjoy and are proud of. Something no one else but us can control, a world that makes sense and immediately rewards us for what we do, and if it gets messed up we did it. Because we know if we can do that, we might just be able to stay sane another week or so. Is that bad? It keeps homes together and good, hardworking men from going over the edge is what it does.

My wife slams the door harder than the forum rulebook indicates, puts her shoes on the tub getting in and out, leaves a trail of girl stuff and always needs a phone cord. I found a feminine pad in my Bartacts' pocket recently. Those things are adhesive on one side, did y'all know that? No wonder they go to the bathroom 2 or 3 at a time. Those things must hurt something awful coming off.

She says she hates it, but somehow every nice, warm Saturday when I finish my morning errands , she's dressed for the wind and ready to roll.

Always do a little something for yourself...always.....because you can't pour from an empty cup. You can't give what you don't have.
What a beautiful read.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
During the week, I work from sun up to sun down for my family. They are without question my first love. That said, the one creative outlet I have left on weekends is the Jeep. It's important to me not because I love it, but because I can step back and say I built it. There's no one else to blame, but me, when I make mistakes. However, there's also a sense of pride when I get something right. In the end, it's still just a machine. One that, grudgingly, can be replaced. Are you being selfish? No. You're just tryting to preserve your own artistic canvas!
(y)

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Hundreds will be empowered to remove the scrunchy from their gear shift now.
See, there ya go. All I ever wanted to do was help somebody 😁

The he man woman haters club has got to have a vehicle...might as well be a TJ.

I can see hundreds of owners right now... "here honey you read this I'm going to the parts store... I'll be back about September, if I feel like it"

See, there ya go. All I ever wanted to do was help somebody 😁

The he man woman haters club has got to have a vehicle...might as well be a TJ.

I can see hundreds of owners right now... "here honey you read this I'm going to the parts store... I'll be back about September, if I feel like it"
I pictured Alfalfa with Darla’s foot up his ass and his mouth and eyes wide open. 😮

Reactions: AndyG
I encourage anybody in my family to drive all my stuff. My daughter 13 drives my Tahoe, crew cab Silverado, Jeep, and the side by sides. My boy 17 drives all the above, my street/strip 62 impala, and this Summer, my blown altered dragster. Are they gonna f#%& shit up, maybe, If you can’t share it with your family, what’s the point? Same goes with anything else I own. The wife drives the Jeep and loves it btw.

Reactions: pc1p and Alex01
My son and I have a gentleman’s agreement not to drive each other’s Wranglers except in case of extreme emergency. Like bugging out because of wildfire cresting the ridge or zombie apocalypse. That sort of thing. My wife was driving an Xterra, and seemed to think our attachment to our Jeeps was bloody weird. Until we got her a Cherokee. Before if I asked where her keys are because I needed to move her rig I got a breezy location of the keys. Now? I ask where her Jeep keys are I get the narrowing of the eyes and “why??”. I’m thinking she’s starting to understand. Maybe I’ll let her drive my TJ in an emergency now. Zombie apocalypses only.

I encourage anybody in my family to drive all my stuff. My daughter 13 drives my Tahoe, crew cab Silverado, Jeep, and the side by sides. My boy 17 drives all the above, my street/strip 62 impala, and this Summer, my blown altered dragster. Are they gonna f#%& shit up, maybe, If you can’t share it with your family, what’s the point? Same goes with anything else I own. The wife drives the Jeep and loves it btw.
It's perfectly fine to do that. Glad you can. My 17 year old drove my 06 to his job today. At the same time, he doesn't drive it when I don't feel good about it , if he didn't listen to me and tore up his truck or I think it might end up in a "let's see what we can with your Dad's Jeep tonight situation."

its situational with mine. My wife can drive them and has....at the same time she says they are terrible (and they are... compared to her Lincoln Crossover) .

We all have different emotional investments in these, different people in our lives and different levels of attachment to material things.

WIth my 2 socket losing sons, Pete and Repeat , it would go a lot further if they were more involved in the set up and after use maintenance...not drive it, bring it home filthy and on an empty tank and say thanks Dad, we had a blast.

It's perfectly fine to do that. Glad you can. My 17 year old drove my 06 to his job today. At the same time, he doesn't drive it when I don't feel good about it , if he didn't listen to me and tore up his truck or I think it might end up in a "let's see what we can with your Dad's Jeep tonight situation."

its situational with mine. My wife can drive them and has....at the same time she says they are terrible (and they are... compared to her Lincoln Crossover) .

We all have different emotional investments in these, different people in our lives and different levels of attachment to material things.

WIth my 2 socket losing sons, Pete and Repeat , it would go a lot further if they were more involved in the set up and after use maintenance...not drive it, bring it home filthy and on an empty tank and say thanks Dad, we had a blast.
My boy blew the rear end out of his 2500 H.D. on a Saturday. He borrowed his mother’s Tahoe on a Sunday and drove it off the road and wrecked it. He got to pay out of pocket for both repairs. Pretty tough lesson for at the time 16 year old. He seems to make better choices now!

Reactions: DoOver and AndyG
If my wife ‘loved’ to drive it, I’d be happy. But she don’t, and she’d rather not.
My daughter on the other hand gets it. She loves her YJ.

Reactions: Mrhp
My boy blew the rear end out of his 2500 H.D. on a Saturday. He borrowed his mother’s Tahoe on a Sunday and drove it off the road and wrecked it. He got to pay out of pocket for both repairs. Pretty tough lesson for at the time 16 year old. He seems to make better choices now!
Absolutely. Absolutely. I love it.

I'm huge on this sir.

Parents are flat failing kids ...it's ok to help out a little when it's right, but If you continually stand in the way of the law of sowing and reaping you are standing in between them and a bigger power.

We have kids coming into the workforce that have no clue how to survive. They don't respect property, other people, time or money.

My glass supplier hired an 18 year old kid recently...he did not know how to pump gas. True story. This is an extreme example , but reckless or helpless either way is bad for the rest of society...and the person.

Bailing out kids over and over can turn into a situation where 38 year olds live at home, won't work and are basically pieces of crud. We have one about 2 houses down in our neighborhood..... Parents have custody of his child ....and him.

People need to let their kids have their own problems....not take them from them. They will create a lot less of it when they feel the pain.

Parents end up miserable and handling the responsibility, and the kid ends up happy and irresponsible. Share the joy with the little farts, so they can grow up and make a contribution in life, manage their own affairs and be a help to others...givers, not takers.

Good posts. You are a good dad. They will be better men one day for it ...and the girls that marry them need men, not adult boys that won't work and provide like they should.

I don't know what's causing it, but this extended adolescence in our society is ridiculous.

Reactions: mushdogs
Absolutely. Absolutely. I love it.

I'm huge on this sir.

Parents are flat failing kids ...it's ok to help out a little when it's right, but If you continually stand in the way of the law of sowing and reaping you are standing in between them and a bigger power.

We have kids coming into the workforce that have no clue how to survive. They don't respect property, other people, time or money.

My glass supplier hired an 18 year old kid recently...he did not know how to pump gas. True story. This is an extreme example , but reckless or helpless either way is bad for the rest of society...and the person.

Bailing out kids over and over can turn into a situation where 38 year olds live at home, won't work and are basically pieces of crud. We have one about 2 houses down in our neighborhood..... Parents have custody of his child ....and him.

People need to let their kids have their own problems....not take them from them. They will create a lot less of it when they feel the pain.

Parents end up miserable and handling the responsibility, and the kid ends up happy and irresponsible. Share the joy with the little farts, so they can grow up and make a contribution in life, manage their own affairs and be a help to others...givers, not takers.

Good posts. You are a good dad. They will be better men one day for it ...and the girls that marry them need men, not adult boys that won't work and provide like they should.
Thank You, and Amen. I am not hard on my kids because I want to. I am hard on them so they learn how the world works. My boy is a Senior this year and averages 25 hours a week working. Pays All his own bills, and bought his own vehicle. Well, we paid half, and he paid half for the truck. That has always been my deal with my kids. First vehicle, we will pay half, but we have to approve of the vehicle. Hopefully he will be going to lineman school in the fall. I hope I am raising a man. Lord knows my wife and I are trying.