An honest discussion on Jeep size and does it really matter

Size on trail is going to be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the obstacle. If wider than more stability. That could go either way though. If longer then same story. Sometimes I want longer and sometimes I like shorter. Sometimes I want wider and sometimes I want narrower. The TJ is a good platform. You can manipulate it some as tire size grows to make it better. My .02c.

The Maverick isn't a true pickup - its an El Camino type vehicle. No separation between the cab and the bed. But I hear you, if I were wanting to buy a pickup, I'd almost have to buy used anyway - between the gargantuan size, the forced double cab, and not leastly, the damn "Technology".

That's a fair point, but that's about the closest we have. I've been look at old Toyota Pickups and K10s, but nothing we have today is even comparable to those generations of trucks.

Even the newer Tacos are pretty big. You could always buy a Ford Maverick or a Santa Cruz...

The new tacos are the size of old tundras. The Toyota Stout will likely fill that gap.

I suspect it's safety issues with body on frame in that size.

Anyone else notice that a Prius is a longer wheel base than even an LJ?

The new tacos are the size of old tundras. The Toyota Stout will likely fill that gap.

True, I forget how long old tundras are. I hadn't heard about the stout, but they look almost identical to a Ridgeline.

The Maverick isn't a true pickup - its an El Camino type vehicle. No separation between the cab and the bed. But I hear you, if I were wanting to buy a pickup, I'd almost have to buy used anyway - between the gargantuan size, the forced double cab, and not leastly, the damn "Technology".

Look no further than your friendly government , who basis mileage standards on the " Footprint" size of the vehicle. :rolleyes:

Reactions: RangerTJ
Look no further than your friendly government , who basis mileage standards on the " Footprint" size of the vehicle. :rolleyes:

I've heard that before, it certainly makes zero sense, but that's gov't for you. Damn pickups are just too friggin' BIG.

I am intrigued to see the Stout. My next vehicle will likely be a Toyota or Honda, for the first time ever.

I bought some for myself. Comes in two flavors. 🤫

View attachment 437327

View attachment 437326

1688684339288.png

You know, I found the wildlife section of this thread much more entertaining than the Jeep size part. Especially enjoyed the appearance of “Greg” the groundhog!

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
After following two big Jeeps, 43" stickies with a lot of WB, and a buggy around Hawk Pride, I never saw them struggle in tight places. I realize there are places that will challenge them, but they find a way. I got to ride in a big Jeep on Lower Fatty's and I doubt a TJ on 35s could get to the hard part. Big obstacles require big Jeeps no matter where you are.

After following two big Jeeps, 43" stickies with a lot of WB, and a buggy around Hawk Pride, I never saw them struggle in tight places. I realize there are places that will challenge them, but they find a way. I got to ride in a big Jeep on Lower Fatty's and I doubt a TJ on 35s could get to the hard part. Big obstacles require big Jeeps no matter where you are.

So you're in the lube it up and pray camp?

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
On a serious note I’ve thought about this a lot and i see it as a proposition in all things. Small jeep small tires, big jeep big tires. I’d like to see actual numbers but like a tj on 4in lift and 35s is remarkable. Same goes for the new Jeeps on 37s or 40s. The body size has a preferred tire size to get the best wheelbase without too much belly or overhang. The only thing about this seems to be price. Having a tj build to get to 35s is a lot, having a jl build for 40s is even more. It’s cool to see how the limit of factory stuff hold it back as the tj is pretty well on 35s even with stock axles and shafts but for the jks people try and run 40s on stock axles and end up throwing a lot more money into them and still have more issues. As for size in the trails it’s all dependent on obstacles. Been through a few that only a tj can fit and my buddys 80series just wasn’t going to do without a lot of door and rocker damage bc he was too long. I also think that the cars have gotten bigger has also pushed more people into 42s as the new 40s since a factory jeep is close to running them it’s not as much of a flex or work as putting 40s under a tj. Super Interesting to see where it goes and how far it can go and how much a factory jeep can cost.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I bought my 05 Unlimited so I could put a full sized cooler in the back and have the back seat still usable. There are some areas here in the desert that you need a short narrow vehicle to traverse. My YJ is still more capable than the TJ because I do not care if it gets another scratch or dent.

After following two big Jeeps, 43" stickies with a lot of WB, and a buggy around Hawk Pride, I never saw them struggle in tight places. I realize there are places that will challenge them, but they find a way. I got to ride in a big Jeep on Lower Fatty's and I doubt a TJ on 35s could get to the hard part.
While I agree, I feel like there are times where that is not the case. Just look at @starkey480’s build thread. He has a very good 35s build, and he keeps up with the buggies on trails I wouldn’t take dare go on without 40s.

Big obstacles require big Jeeps no matter where you are.

What I’m trying to say, is I’m starting to believe that there are areas where tire size isn’t everything, and having a well balanced rig is more important. Though where I wheel, this doesn’t apply in my experience.