Android to iPhone

I don't know of anything that I am missing or getting by upgrading from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S8+. Except I lost a great screen shape/size and removable batteries. And I got a hefty monthly lease payment. I'm kind of over this $800 cellphone crap myself. I kind of wish I had just bought another Note 4 for $250. I already had a collection of batteries. And different backs for hicap batteries too.
Hardware wise I think the Samsung S5 was the best phone for hardware. Removable battery water resistant, Micro SD card, most prevalent power cord, etc. It's not fast, but I kept mine when my girlfriend convinced me to switch. In fact I've kept most of my phones.

The issues for the most part haven't been hardware for a long time, it's mainly support for apps. The Android OS stuff is the most flexible which is good and bad and Apple OS is more stable and efficient, but lacks some flexibility. Also Apple is very limited in terms of hardware IMO and I can't stand all the proprietary stuff.

I read some stuff that the larger population centers of the world are passing on iPhones or at least the new ones. I don't know where to look that stuff up at, but Apple might sell the most phones of any brand or maybe just the most in NA, but Android has a bunch of brands, because it's an open or more open platform.

I went from an S7 (maybe 8?) to an Iphone a year ago. Can't stand it, Ill be going back after the contract is up. There are a lot of little nuances. Maybe they are just they way I prefer things but when I type, be it email/text/web, I prefer the swype method where you dont lift a finger. For the Iphone you have to download an app to be able to do that, and every now and then it will shut itself off. When I click on links within my email a little window pops up and you can choose between safari or chrome with the option of selecting "never ask me again". I always hit "never ask me again" but a few days later it pops right back up again.

My biggest gripe is the photo/camera. I use my phone for work on a daily basis and can take a hundred photos for a project. On the Samsung, I could create a folder and transfer all the photos taken that day to that particular folder. When I go to upload, I simply navigated to that folder and cut/pasted to my computer. The Iphone requires a Macbook to keep everything in order. When I take photos and hook to my computer, they are always in random order. I have to navigate to each individual picture and transfer it to my computer. The Iphone also self-creates way to many albums. Camera Roll, Favorites, People, Places, also creates albums for specific apps you have.
i think the biggest question is why are you even using Chrome? the iPhone does not require a MacBook at all, it requires iTunes on any computer and it will save them in the same order and folders you have currently. the built in albums are only there to make it easier to find things. it doesn't take up any more space. it is intended to make things easier. everything about IOS is designed to make things easier. most samsung android users don't like this because they are used to the convoluted system of android. if you do happen to swap over everything to apple including your computer you will fond the eco system is the real selling point of Apple. seamless integration to all my devices.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Lol, that's his wishful thinking. Look it up. Apple is currently at an all-time high at 43%. Android has been outselling for years so the number of current users is a lot higher.
Since not everyone can write Apple software, there is far less apps out there. But like I said before, they are typically better apps. Droid apps can range from really great to really crap as their isn't nearly as much regulation.
currently the 2 app stores are pretty close Android has about 100,000 more apps than apple. the difference is iTunes app store is secure without viruses, google is not. I personally like that viruses are basically non existent on apple devices. This debate is always a personal preference and once you like something you aren't going to change. i would just by what you are comfortable with.

Yes that's a good point on the viruses and scam wear type stuff. And yeah Apple has caught up a bunch. Also the app store doesn't have to be configured probably for 1000 different phones which can add to stability for years over Android.

Much of the complaints I have were from 4 years ago I might add. It's still a hardware thing for me and something as simple as not having the proprietary plug, which likely has numbered days (iPads are using USB type C now) may have swayed me last phone upgrade. But I still would prefer a phone that's less interested in fashion than not breaking and giving me some versatility.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
I switch back and forth between iPhone and Android. I'm using an iPhone right now, and I like how I can easily chat with my kids (iPads or iPods), and track our sons location.

I kind of prefer the openness of Android though. You can customize your phone pretty much however you want, and of course, Google integration works great! We have a bunch of Google Home devices around the house, and while you can control them with Apple devices, it's easier with an Android phone.

I am late to this party but I started with a i3GS when the dominate player was... Blackberry. I also worked in the wireless industry for a few years and got to play with them all. I move from IOS to Android for a couple reasons the main being that with IOS the device is never really yours unless you jail break it. You can only put approved apps on your device and everything must go through the AppStore. This never sat well with me. Android as mentioned earlier is open source and is truly yours. Load apps from the Play Store or get (or build) the apk file and have at it, do with it as you will; even load damaging software. But in a native environment neither are really susceptible to viruses. Its the network they ride you need to be concerned with

Google devices will have the cleanest version of Android as they own the OS with the other Mfg'ers licencing it for their devices. All will come with varying amounts of garbage apps that you may or may not want but are nonetheless stuck with. As stated earlier the S5 was a great device for all the reasons given. But in the either or debate they all do the exact same thing just differently. (want to have some fun, ask some iPhone users to install Skype and watch them melt). I have found the Android platform to be more user friendly and seems to follow a more logical path to perform various functions. But they are both icon driven for the masses that do not like to think too much.

Price is another factor. I have not been in the industry in a couple years but iPhones were approaching a Grand. I think that is just pure insanity. However, top line Samsung's were not too far behind.

Currently world rankings place Apple 3rd behind #2 Huawei and #1 Samsung - both Android.

I rock a Note 5 and would hate to part with it. Certainly would not go to Apple though.

[edited to remove an overly broad statement]

Last edited:
I am late to this party but I started with a i3GS when the dominate player was... Blackberry. I also worked in the wireless industry for a few years and got to play with them all. I move from IOS to Android for a couple reasons the main being that with IOS the device is never really yours unless you jail break it. You can only put approved apps on your device and everything must go through the AppStore. This never sat well with me. Android as mentioned earlier is open source and is truly yours. Load apps from the Play Store or get (or build) the apk file and have at it, do with it as you will; even load damaging software. But in a native environment neither are really susceptible to viruses. Its the network they ride you need to be concerned with

Google devices will have the cleanest version of Android as they own the OS with the other Mfg'ers licencing it for their devices. All will come with varying amounts of garbage apps that you may or may not want but are nonetheless stuck with. As stated earlier the S5 was a great device for all the reasons given. But in the either or debate they all do the exact same thing just differently. (want to have some fun, ask an iPhone user to install Skype and watch them melt). I have found the Android platform to be more user friendly and seems to follow a more logical path to perform various functions. But they are both icon driven for the masses that do not like to think too much.

Price is another factor. I have not been in the industry in a couple years but iPhones were approaching a Grand. I think that is just pure insanity. However, top line Samsung's were not too far behind.

Currently world rankings place Apple 3rd behind #2 Huawei and #1 Samsung - both Android.

I rock a Note 5 and would hate to part with it. Certainly would not go to Apple though.
why would i melt if you ask me to load Skype? i used that to talk to my wife while deployed, pre FaceTime days. Everyone makes big deal about iPhones cost when the androids are basically the same cost. even for a sub par device.

why would i melt if you ask me to load Skype? i used that to talk to my wife while deployed, pre FaceTime days. Everyone makes big deal about iPhones cost when the androids are basically the same cost. even for a sub par device.
You are correct that was an over broad statement when I should have said "some users"

Yeah they're all too expensive and we're all suckers for buying half of this crap we're going to throw away in a few years. But they keep moving the bar until our apps don't work and we go get sheared again. And we get to a point that if we can't track our every movement then the world will collapse. We've made it so easy to worry about everything and then go buy stuff to fix something.

There's some persona stuff that Apple seemed to flaunt for awhile that really turned me off of them. That headphone jack excuse baffled me, claiming you want to go away from a technology because it's old is pretty ridiculous and not who I want engineering anything for me. But hey I don't have a headphone jack now either. They make a good phone. I think we're over analyzing :).

currently the 2 app stores are pretty close Android has about 100,000 more apps than apple. the difference is iTunes app store is secure without viruses, google is not. I personally like that viruses are basically non existent on apple devices. This debate is always a personal preference and once you like something you aren't going to change. i would just by what you are comfortable with.
The Google Play Store is only one of several places to get Android software.
As for viruses, I haven't had any on my Android either. But I'll pass your message on to my boss in the IT Dept. We've been dealing with several virus issues on company iPhones the last few months. He'll be reassured that they don't really exist after all.

As for viruses, I haven't had any on my Android either. But I'll pass your message on to my boss in the IT Dept. We've been dealing with several virus issues on company iPhones the last few months. He'll be reassured that they don't really exist after all.
then its not a virus the only way an iPhone can get a virus is if you jailbreak it. Period

im not here to change anyone to use apple or android. at the end of the day i said earlier use what you like and makes you happy. im extremely happy in the apple ecosystem and i wouldn't leave even if it meant a free phone for the rest of my life. i am willing to continue to pay apple for devices every year because it adds value to my life. my work flow is better for it. i hope all of you have a great day.

you can laugh at my post all you want its a proven fact with a simple google search you can find many explanations why IOS can't get a virus unless jailbroken. i will concede to others knowledge about jeeps but when it comes to Apple i will go ahead and tell you i know a good deal, considering they sign my checks and trained me. as i said i am excusing myself from this thread as its mainly people who don't like the big bad apple.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
you can laugh at my post all you want its a proven fact with a simple google search you can find many explanations why IOS can't get a virus unless jailbroken. i will concede to others knowledge about jeeps but when it comes to Apple i will go ahead and tell you i know a good deal, considering they sign my checks and trained me. as i said i am excusing myself from this thread as its mainly people who don't like the big bad apple.
Whatever. We have two Apple techs working all the time on problems.

Whatever. We have two Apple techs working all the time on problems.
Believe what you want. You don't have viruses. By saying "problems" you're not giving any actionable information. "problems" do not mean virus. I would seriously doubt you have 2 certified apple employees working on your phones. Corporations send people to a watered down course to learn about basic repairs that's it.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I don't have iTunes on a work computer. And I don't use chrome. The prompt I get when opening email links is chrome or safari. I always choose safari with the "don't ask me again" option. Still pops up. And why do I need iTunes to store photos in order? Or to create a separate folder? Samsung allows me to do that on the phone and I can navigate to it immediately.

This isnt my first iPhone. I've found myself happier using Samsung products though.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
I don't have iTunes on a work computer. And I don't use chrome. The prompt I get when opening email links is chrome or safari. I always choose safari with the "don't ask me again" option. Still pops up. And why do I need iTunes to store photos in order? Or to create a separate folder? Samsung allows me to do that on the phone and I can navigate to it immediately.

This isnt my first iPhone. I've found myself happier using Samsung products though.
i would say swap back to samsung. it sounds as though it fits your needs better. its hard to say without seeing your setup. i wish you luck in figuring it out though.

Reactions: tworley
Believe what you want. You don't have viruses. By saying "problems" you're not giving any actionable information. "problems" do not mean virus. I would seriously doubt you have 2 certified apple employees working on your phones. Corporations send people to a watered down course to learn about basic repairs that's it.
Two techs who only work on iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and Mac desktops. They're not employees, but contractors from some other company. The issue they talked about dealing with a week ago was the FaceTime exploit, which effected a handful of the users. Before that it was something called Proton. They get phishing scams, adware & pop-ups just like the Windows users.

Two techs who only work on iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and Mac desktops. They're not employees, but contractors from some other company. The issue they talked about dealing with a week ago was the FaceTime exploit, which effected a handful of the users. Before that it was something called Proton. They get phishing scams, adware & pop-ups just like the Windows users.
adware, phishing and malware are not viruses. Yes macs can get them. but they are so easy to get rid of it surprises me you pay someone for it. the FaceTime exploit was a messed up bit of code written by apple. it was shut down the next day. yet again not a virus. Proton is also malware, its a nasty one but just malware. Mac viruses are so incredibly rare its nearly inconceivable. this is due to the fact that the OS is completely separate from you info. this is all i want to say about this. if you truly want to know more message ,e otherwise im done.

Reactions: derekmac