Angry Bird Grill

adotson79

I installed my angry bird grill last fall and have had no issues until the last month with the weather being hotter. I was told that the grill may be contributing to issues I've had with overheating and my temp gauge acting screwy. Was told the grill could restrict air flow. Has anyone else with this grill had similar problems? We've changed out the thermostat, radiator, water pump, and had the head gasket all fixed in the last 2 weeks. We thought the problem was fixed but then yesterday the gauge spiked up again twice after it was driven on the interstate for about 30 minutes. My husband wants to put the factory grill back on to see if it makes a difference.

I'm definitely no fan of angry bird grills but I doubt it's the cause of your engine overheating. Aftermarket (especially store brand) radiators are common causes of overheating due to their designs rarely being able to cool as well as the OE Mopar radiator does. Sticking thermostats can cause sudden spikes in engine temperatures. The OE cooling system should, when it is working properly, have enough excess cooling capacity in spite of that angry bird grill being installed. It wouldn't hurt to remove that grill though as a test though, it's conceivable a poorly designed overly restrictive grill could contribute to the problem so let your husband remove it as a test.

I'm definitely no fan of angry bird grills but I doubt it's the cause of your engine overheating. Aftermarket (especially store brand) radiators are common causes of overheating due to their designs rarely being able to cool as well as the OE Mopar radiator does. Sticking thermostats can cause sudden spikes in engine temperatures. The OE cooling system should, when it is working properly, have enough excess cooling capacity in spite of that angry bird grill being installed. It wouldn't hurt to remove that grill though as a test though, it's conceivable a poorly designed overly restrictive grill could contribute to the problem so let your husband remove it as a test.

Agreed. Poor taste (just my opinion)? Yep. Cause of a serious mechanical issue? Very unlikely.

However, OP.... if you can return the grill to stock (if the thermostat is OK) might be a good idea. Not sure which is easier, but I know the radiator replacement can be a PITA; not terrible, but certainly not fun either.

Edit- hadn’t read well... didn’t realize OP still had OEM grill. Changed questions to sentences. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed my angry bird grill last fall and have had no issues until the last month with the weather being hotter. I was told that the grill may be contributing to issues I've had with overheating and my temp gauge acting screwy. Was told the grill could restrict air flow. Has anyone else with this grill had similar problems? We've changed out the thermostat, radiator, water pump, and had the head gasket all fixed in the last 2 weeks. We thought the problem was fixed but then yesterday the gauge spiked up again twice after it was driven on the interstate for about 30 minutes. My husband wants to put the factory grill back on to see if it makes a difference.
I recently bought a tj that had a angry grill on it. I bought in San Diego and i drove it to Arizona. In January, and as I was driving in the highway the temp was going higher than what they usually run at. It passed 210.
I soon as I took that pos grill off it made all the difference

Do the world a favor; rear-end a Prius. Not only will you get a factory grill and get rid of that hideous angry bird contraption, but you'll also get one of those hippies off the the road for awhile. Win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Studies have shown that those who forgive live longer than those who harbor grudges.

Maybe remove the scowling bird grill and forgive yourself for putting it on?
Ok ok.

It's logical that the bird grill can have an effect on the airflow... which may diminish cooling. How angry is the grill?

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Never go full angry grill...……. but the eyes..... now there is a different story!

If the grill is easy to remove I would try to test the theory on weather it is the problem or not.

I have a problem taking a Jeep with an angry bird (or whatever it is) grill on it seriously.

If it was rebranded with a different name, would that help its credibility?

Serious seagull grill
Furious flamingo grill
Cranky chicken grill
That time of the month turkey grill
Scornful sparrow
Scowling owl grill
Haughty Hawk grill
Touchy Toucan Grill
Grouchy Grouse grill
Pissed off Pheasant Grill
Evil eye eagle grill

If it was rebranded with a different name, would that help its credibility?

Serious seagull grill
Furious flamingo grill
Cranky chicken grill
That time of the month turkey grill
Scornful sparrow
Scowling owl grill
Haughty Hawk grill
Touchy Toucan Grill
Grouchy Grouse grill
Pissed off Pheasant Grill
Evil eye eagle grill
Trying to make your Jeep look bad ass when it's not grill.
I added one. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Sancho and Alex01
In keeping with the bird theme.... Adding the Duck Face Grill.

Pic from local san diego JK Jeep club... Brawl Krawlers.

d7d4297cd8529416c2851fd7d5a2d6e4---video-duckface.jpg

Made that last part up.. but you know its true somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Reviving an 8 month old thread didn't revive @adotson79 as a member. That was their one and only post last June. It seems any further scathing angry bird posts are just whipping a dead horse (or bird), so to speak.

Before I got a Jeep, I never liked those grilles and thought they were hideous and stupid, now I know why. lol