Another Dana 35 vs 8.8 Discussion

I have an 8.8. It works, but I wish I would have saved a little longer and gone with a Dana 44, especially after my tummy tuck and trying to fit a 3" exhaust under there. Finding one for a good deal and bolting it in with proper gears is one situation I'd consider it, especially if it's a fairly mild rig needing a stronger axle. I personally wouldn't recommend paying anyone to set one up and install it though. Just get a 44 or upgrade the 35.

Does anybody know the weight differences between the 35/44/8.8?

the 8.8 is a compromise. it's a slightly better axle that can be had, cheap, that's it's only benefit.
it's slightly narrower than a TJ axle and the diff is offset a bit IIRC.

i think the 8.8 is a c-clip axle, like the Dana 35, the Dana 44 is not.

anybody can run any axle that's not a TJ designed axle for about the same cost of the brackets.

It’s up to you. It sounds like you know the downsides of the 8.8. It really isn’t an ideal axle for a TJ. That being said, if budget is a big concern and the $400 gets you geared and wheeling and having fun for a while then that’s an understandable move. If it starts sucking down the road then keep an eye out for a 44 or super 35 kit. If a no compromise build philosophy sounds like something you’re interested in then pass it up and do it right the first time.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I'm not a 8.8 HATER so for the price I'd say jump on it. It's a HP30 & 8.8 with the brackets already welded onto it so you aren't playing to have it converted. As long as the 8.8 was setup for a stockish suspension the the pinion angle should be good.

Yes the 8.8 hangs down more than the Dana 35 but for what you are wanting to use it for then I'd say it's good. And if 31" tires are as large as you're thinking you'll go with then 4.10 gears would be great. And a 8.8 with stock axes is as strong if not stronger than a Dana 44. The only DOWNSIDE to the 8.8 is that it is narrower than your Dana 35. You can either just deal with that OR run spacers in the rear OR do a Super 8 kit which makes it wider but includes stronger axle just like the Super35.

So I'm one vote for Go For It. Yes check them out and make sure everything is good but if they aren't bugger welds or it was setup for a 4+" lift I'd snag them up.
Lp30

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman