Another Newb Seeking Advice for a TJ

20180829_202944.jpg
mine aren't stock, but I bet you can't tell...this is the light output on dim..
20170319_215520.jpg

And on bright...
20170319_215526.jpg

Hey brah! Remember these famous words, “stay focused!” Function over form. Got goals. Plus, stock headlights just look right on a TJ...:D

Reactions: JMT
Ranger B, what lights are those, I bet roosters crow .

It’s looking good. How much tread is left on those tires? What will you go to next? Nice rock sliders. Also, interesting grille slats. I’ve thought about something like that. I have the X model too. It’s hard to decide to remove decals. I reticently decided to remove some of them. I almost replaced them with black. I still think the black would look better than the stock color on our Flame Red TJ’s, which is hands down the best color!

Those tires were replaced by KM3s about 2 weeks ago. I like the sliders too, they were also a gift from the prior owner, as was the grill slats though until you mentioned them I hadn't realized they were not stock. I guess they do qualify as bling, but more subtle than the LEDs.

My X decals will stay put, I'm quite proud of my underdog's performance. Here's some shots of the new rubber:

017.JPG
IMG_7659.JPG
IMG_7660.JPG
019.JPG

Reactions: JMT
Great looking rig! We’d be a pair wheelin’ together...The new tires look great

Ranger B, what lights are those, I bet roosters crow .
They are Cibie H4 conversions. They are European Imports. I used Phillips Osram 130% H4 bulbs and re-wired my Headlight circuit to pull direct from the battery....In essence, the factory headlight switch will turn on a relay instead of the headlights and the relay powers the headlights. Check out Daniel Stern lighting or PM me for more details. Its a great mod...

Reactions: AndyG
What are the opinions of the 2006 LJs??? Found one 90% stock in a 6 Speed w/ 125k for $10k
Are the lifts or parts more expensive?

Last edited:
What are the opinions of the 2006 LJs??? Found one 90% stock in a 6 Speed w/ 125k for $10k

Opinions vary, I don’t like them & wouldn’t drive one but many love them & pay a premium for them – your feeling on that issue is all that matters. As for the parts, I think generally they’re the same for both, with some exceptions; I wouldn’t let that factor in as a negative. As far as the miles & the price, all the same rules apply - what condition is it in, was it well cared for or beat on, is there rust, if so where/how much… If it’s in good condition and little to no rust, that sure sounds like a good price for an LJ, they tend to go higher due to their limited numbers. For a far more comprehensive analysis & commentary here you’d need to provide more information and detailed photos

Opinions vary, I don’t like them & wouldn’t drive one but many love them & pay a premium for them – your feeling on that issue is all that matters. As for the parts, I think generally they’re the same for both, with some exceptions; I wouldn’t let that factor in as a negative. As far as the miles & the price, all the same rules apply - what condition is it in, was it well cared for or beat on, is there rust, if so where/how much… If it’s in good condition and little to no rust, that sure sounds like a good price for an LJ, they tend to go higher due to their limited numbers. For a far more comprehensive analysis & commentary here you’d need to provide more information and detailed photos

I know I said I wasn't going to post another one up here, but I always like the opinions of others... well as long as I haven't bought anything yet!
ALPHA's owner went as far to say that " LJ's were great for the extra room and wheelbase is nice BUT be weary of the AUTO trans as the 42rle was problematic specially for a wheeling Jeep. The 6 speed however is great!"

https://lakecharles.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited/6688639345.html

And for some reason I can't get the VIN decode from the jeep website to work on the last 4 vin numbers I've thrown at it. It's kinda pissing me off.

And for some reason I can't get the VIN decode from the jeep website to work on the last 4 vin numbers I've thrown at it. It's kinda pissing me off.

I was messing around with it a few minutes ago as well. You can get it to work if you paste the vin into the link.

Here is the vin sheet for my Jeep:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1J4FA59SX1P348688

Paste the vin you want to search into where my vin is at the end of the link.

EDIT:
Now it is broken again. I don't know what is going on with it right now. I think you just have to mess with it for a while.

I know I said I wasn't going to post another one up here, but I always like the opinions of others... well as long as I haven't bought anything yet!
ALPHA's owner went as far to say that " LJ's were great for the extra room and wheelbase is nice BUT be weary of the AUTO trans as the 42rle was problematic specially for a wheeling Jeep. The 6 speed however is great!"

https://lakecharles.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited/6688639345.html

No idea where this person (Alpha???) got the notion that the 42RLE was problematic for wheeling a Jeep, but of anything it’s preferable over the 6 speed for serious wheeling. Not to mention you can get a RubiCrawler for the 42RLE, but not the 6 speed.

As for that LJ, those photos are essentially useless without being able to see the frame. Unless the seller posts photos of the frame, it’s a crapshoot.

No idea where this person (Alpha???) got the notion that the 42RLE was problematic for wheeling a Jeep, but of anything it’s preferable over the 6 speed for serious wheeling. Not to mention you can get a RubiCrawler for the 42RLE, but not the 6 speed.

As for that LJ, those photos are essentially useless without being able to see the frame. Unless the seller posts photos of the frame, it’s a crapshoot.
I believe he was saying specifically on a LJ. I didn't ask him for what his reasoning was behind his input, simply relaying what he said. He's the one who has own 12-13 Jeeps over his lifetime.

I was messing around with it a few minutes ago as well. You can get it to work if you paste the vin into the link.

Here is the vin sheet for my Jeep:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1J4FA59SX1P348688

Paste the vin you want to search into where my vin is at the end of the link.

EDIT:
Now it is broken again. I don't know what is going on with it right now. I think you just have to mess with it for a while.
It's still giving me the "Signal Lost / Undergoing maintenance" page

They’re great built on 35s or 37’s. Lifts and parts are usually the same because they are the same parts. Things like Rock Sliders are longer, so they cost a little more. That shouldn’t be a factor. They’re rare and demand a premium price if in good condition. $10k is a great price even if it’s not in very good or excellent condition with 125k miles. Get it if you like the extra space and are willing to build it to 35’s or more

They’re great built on 35s or 37’s. Lifts and parts are usually the same because they are the same parts. Things like Rock Sliders are longer, so they cost a little more. That shouldn’t be a factor. They’re rare and demand a premium price if in good condition. $10k is a great price even if it’s not in very good or excellent condition with 125k miles. Get it if you like the extra space and are willing to build it to 35’s or more
I'm considering it, it's about 3 hours away from where I'm at but the owner has offered to meet me at a point if I'm serious. Owner says there is no rust at all and it hasn't been in an incident or needed to be repaired outside of normal wear and tear. My decision is kinda depending on the axle, he says its either Dana 30F/44R or 44/44. If it's 44/44 i'm heading to get. I figure the 44F&R are necessary for the larger tires.

Now there is one other rig I spotted...
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-jeep-rubicon/6685607037.html

Let me know which one you'd pick!

I'm considering it, it's about 3 hours away from where I'm at but the owner has offered to meet me at a point if I'm serious. Owner says there is no rust at all and it hasn't been in an incident or needed to be repaired outside of normal wear and tear. My decision is kinda depending on the axle, he says its either Dana 30F/44R or 44/44. If it's 44/44 i'm heading to get. I figure the 44F&R are necessary for the larger tires.

It’s only going to be 44/44 if it’s a Rubicon. The 30/44 would be sufficient up to 35’s. I would not worry too much about that. If you ever went to 37’s you’d need more axle than 44/44.

The TJR looks clean, low miles, low price. Check it out to make sure all is good, but snag it if you can. It won’t last long. 04 was the best Rubicon year IMO.

Reactions: SteamRollin

I like the Jeep you linked. Has some pretty good parts on it and the price is pretty good. I'd jump on that if it is rust free (which it appears to be). I would budget for some different fenders, a front bumper, and maybe some new shocks, but thats just me (nothing wrong with the smittybuilt stuff technically, I just don't like it personally).