Another Newb Seeking Advice for a TJ

Next one - “ECHO”

2006 Sport A/T (103k miles) - $9200

29AAF4E1-B515-4D7A-B6F3-3FA10AE10E55.png

F740A403-CD61-40AF-96CC-B3E7FBF6C185.png

A82BAEA4-D8A0-4F6F-8410-BD258E099CFC.png

***owner’s notes***

2006 jeep wrangler TJ with 103k miles, 4.0 inline six, automatic transmission, 4wd, ac, cruise control, new tires, new soft top, clean title. $9200 obo.

-Not bad either-

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
I’d agree....but you’ll likely spend in bigger tires and accessories.

Likely....that’s an understatement. You will gladly sell your firstborn child.....

I was in a similar boat recently. I've liked jeeps all my life, but never owned one before just now. I prefer fast and sporty, and I have driven mostly manual transmission cars for the past 20+ years. I also do a bit of autocross/time attack with my sports car, and am obsessed with driving involvement. When I was shopping for my first jeep, I was ONLY looking at manual transmissions.

I had driven a few here and there, (mostly on vacation in like mexico, jamaica, etc) and always found it a joy to row that long throw and reasonably heavy clutch. But when I started driving potential jeeps to buy, it was at home. Around Chicago area. Stop and go in traffic around here is miserable with that heavy clutch. After I had test driven a few TJs and was shocked I wasn't thrilled as I had been the other times I drove wranglers, I realized I wasn't enjoying myself because it wasn't 'fun' driving. I almost walked away from the idea of buying a wrangler altogether.

But then I saw a really nice clean 4.0 that had an automatic gearbox. I reluctantly test drove it, and realized I was discriminating against them for no reason. Sure it's only 3 speeds and it'll be less than great in traffic and normal driving. But I was able to just enjoy the thing instead of doing so much work without much joy coming out of it.

So I bought it this week. And I agree it was the right choice for me - which will see PLENTY of stop and go driving - and learned that a stick isn't always the answer. (I still kind of can't believe I am saying that).

Reactions: JMT
My pick so far is Delta by a landslide. Best color and looks good as it sits. Chances are it's a cheap suspension under it, but whatever. Real sharp.
Just make sure you get it out on the highway.

Reactions: tomtaylz
My pick so far is Delta by a landslide. Best color and looks good as it sits. Chances are it's a cheap suspension under it, but whatever. Real sharp.
Just make sure you get it out on the highway.
Me too , I'd have likely bought it already unless it was poorly lifted and drove sketchy.

Regretfully I believe Delta sold today, I've been working 6 days a week and I can't manage any spare time to go see anything anymore. Plus I have 2 other vehicles that are being repaired at the moment and I'm having to use a loner vehicle just to get back and forth to work. So, now I'll have plenty of money to buy one but now the badass ones are all gone. I'm hating myself right now, its never a simple execution. Oh well, the search continues.

Regretfully I believe Delta sold today, I've been working 6 days a week and I can't manage any spare time to go see anything anymore. Plus I have 2 other vehicles that are being repaired at the moment and I'm having to use a loner vehicle just to get back and forth to work. So, now I'll have plenty of money to buy one but now the badass ones are all gone. I'm hating myself right now, its never a simple execution. Oh well, the search continues.
When you find the one. You will know right away. Don't worry about the one that got away. Look for the one that talks to you.

When you find the one. You will know right away. Don't worry about the one that got away. Look for the one that talks to you.

X2 to this. Like everything in life, the best ones seem to come when you aren't looking / least expect it.

There's some people on here who it's taken over a year to find that perfect TJ!

So how is "Echo"? Is there anything you guys can notice about that one? I asked the owners if they would take $8500, they asked when can I pick it up? So that brings me to how low can I go AND what's wrong with it???

Man I'm telling you ..if it's a nice Jeep at a good price , there probably isn't time to get on here and ask opinions. They sell fast , you have to know what you are looking for , how to evaluate it , have the money lined up and move fast . Don't move so fast you make a crappy move .

Here are my buying criteria -

Clean title

No rust , or serious body work or damage

Not butchered

No missing major parts

No foggy ownership history -ideally 1-2 owners

Good overall condition -pride in ownership

Reasonable miles

Runs out good -drives decent , shifts smooth, engages in 4-lo and hi, lockers lock ,etc .

Do I like the color

Also , Is the price good enough that you can afford the upgrades you may want ?

This isn't a dream list , this is all easily identifiable , and attainable.

Reactions: SteamRollin and JMT
@SteamRollin, I agree with @AndyG, you’ve got to jump on a good TJ fast or it will be gone. You don’t have time to get in here and post up questions. You know enough now to know what to look for. DELTA was a fine example. That thing was as hot as a sorority chic. I’d have been all over that. Call into work sick for a few hours and get your TJ. Or buy @tomtaylz. You’re not going to find a better example of a fine TJ than that. And if it’s something else take that mechanic of yours or get a prepurchase inspection if you’re not sure. Flame Red is a great color. I just love Flame Red

@SteamRollin, I agree with @AndyG, you’ve got to jump on a good TJ fast or it will be gone. You don’t have time to get in here and post up questions. You know enough now to know what to look for. DELTA was a fine example. That thing was as hot as a sorority chic. I’d have been all over that. Call into work sick for a few hours and get your TJ. Or buy @tomtaylz. You’re not going to find a better example of a fine TJ than that. And if it’s something else take that mechanic of yours or get a prepurchase inspection if you’re not sure. Flame Red is a great color. I just love Flame Red

Nailed it . I even considered it for my son who is (slowly) coming of age . Flame Red looks awesome with black accessories, and the black hood vent plates too. The Jeep was obviously straight and looked solid , with a good background ...I knew it would be gone before you moved likely .

Most deals like that get sold to a co worker , aquaintances, etc.

The ol " hey if you ever want to sell that jeep" deal sells a lot of Jeeps.

Reactions: SteamRollin
If the frame and tub are free from rust, I don't know what's wrong with echo. Nice clean slate to work from IMO. Ravine's are a great looking wheel. $8500 sounds like a great deal. Just make sure the power plant is solid and no shenanigans going on there.

Reactions: SteamRollin and JMT
If the frame and tub are free from rust, I don't know what's wrong with echo. Nice clean slate to work from IMO. Ravine's are a great looking wheel. $8500 sounds like a great deal. Just make sure the power plant is solid and no shenanigans going on there.
Yep, it’s no DELTA Sorority chic, but it sort of ECHO’s it, Flame Red, 100K Mike’s and a Sport. May have a Dana 44 hiding under there. Go get it

Reactions: SteamRollin
I know man, I let you guys down major with that one. Missed my chance to score me a hot sorority chic, now I'm just at home with my drive shaft in my hand...

Reactions: cliffish and JMT
I'm probably not even going to post the next one I see, I'll just buy it but I'll let you know when I'm on my way to see it in case I have a last minute question. You guys have given my enough wisdom and insight and I know what I'm looking for now so we'll see, and I guess It'll be "Foxtrot"
Thank you all for your input

Oh crap wait, I forgot there's still Echo. I've been beating myself up for the last 24 hours on Delta I just sort lose sight and focus on the other one.