Any recommendations for headlight upgrades?

Just curious but why not LEDs?
If he's like me, he just can't see as well with the color of the LEDs. I had them, and just couldn't see well with them. That slight blue tint made everything look like the contrast was up too high. I went back to halogens and am happy with them.
Headlights are Hella types with 80/ 100 watt bulbs.

If anybody ever finds some warmer LED bulbs let me know. I want to put e-codes in my Cutlass with LED bulbs but original color. Old cars look terrible with white LED lights.

I tried running a set of LEDs inside the IPF housings when one of the H4 bulbs burned out; I was not satisfied with the 6000K color and the cutoff along with the LEDs ballast causing a lot of stray RF on the Yaesu UHF/VHF radio.
No matter how much inline filtering, grounding of the LED ballast or grounding of the radio chassis; nothing I did reduced the incoming RF. Returned the LEDs and went back to the H4s.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
IPF e code housings, and halogen lamps. Not sure what flavor of halogen. But white, not blue. Blue bugs my eyes.

Easy to aim because they have a great cutoff. Very bright, but not overly so.

And from what I’ve read, the IPF’s have thicker glass than the Hella’s so they chip and break less often.

IPF e code housings, and halogen lamps. Not sure what flavor of halogen. But white, not blue. Blue bugs my eyes.

Easy to aim because they have a great cutoff. Very bright, but not overly so.

And from what I’ve read, the IPF’s have thicker glass than the Hella’s so they chip and break less often.

I ran a set of Hellas in a 1998 XJ for 20 years with a separate harness and they were in snow, several river crossings and even a Sand Storm near Death Valley; no problems with performance.
I ran a used set of IPFs in a 2011 JK for 7 years with a separate harness and they were in snow, an ice storm and several trips thru the desert with no performance problems.
I couldn't locate a set of IPFs for a decent price so when I upgraded the 2001 TJs headlights and harness I ended up with Hellas again.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
If he's like me, he just can't see as well with the color of the LEDs. I had them, and just couldn't see well with them. That slight blue tint made everything look like the contrast was up too high. I went back to halogens and am happy with them.
Headlights are Hella types with 80/ 100 watt bulbs.
I hear you. I waited a long time before upgrading to the LEDs I have. I can’t stand the white-white/blue-white look. The KCs I think are 5k. Warmer than most out there.

I've been very happy with these. Huge upgrade from the factory lights.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/kc-hilites-7-inch-halogen-headlights-0717.html
I had these same ones. They were stupid bright but had a nice crisp cutoff. Outshined my LED off-road lights on the trail too. And the little KC symbols glowed in the dark lol.
334745C5-42ED-43F0-9703-60BECEFF9AB4.jpeg

Reactions: DaveC
I would install the separate wiring harness that I previously recommended.
The harness will only use the factory headlight wiring and MFS to trigger the separate harness relays instead of fully powering the headlights.

Nothing at all... plug and play. Had to aim them after installing, but that's too be expected.
Thanks, trust me on that squeak fix, worked great on mine.

If anybody ever finds some warmer LED bulbs let me know. I want to put e-codes in my Cutlass with LED bulbs but original color. Old cars look terrible with white LED lights.
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-hyper-arros-led-h4-twin
I've not run these but found them in my search. I ordered other bulbs from the site. They are legit, but ship out of the uk.

One thing to consider in snowy climates is most Led do not produce enough heat to melt snow and ice off the housing without a heated housing.

I replaced an old sylvania HID setup with Hella e-codes and Philips X-tremeVision Pro150 and I'm pretty happy with the setup.

For me anything higher than 4000k disappears in the wet.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Hello,

I went with the Hella sealed beam conversion (5301 comes w/ bulbs) and Lasfit led bulbs. Much better lighting. Bulbs are white not blue Plug into stock harness.
I run this brand of bulb in all my vehicles including motorcycle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QK6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=322260843726

I have found that re-aiming headlight is needed with most led installs on my vehicles. They tended to project higher. Garage door and masking tape does the trick.

Cheers
John

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.