Any recommendations on lockers for Dana 35 on 98 TJ?

RL_MJ

Looking to Install locker on my Dana 35 and 30 , running 33x12.50x15 and geared to 4.56 . Wanting to do limited slip on the rear and a small lunch box locker in the front . An recommendations ?

limited and locker are two different things. I would suggest a full selectable locker like an ARB or a Eaton E locker. Next--Your dana 35 will not be up to a locker. To keep it from grenading or breakign a shaft, I would suggest upgrading your axle shafts as well. With a 30 spline carrier (locker), and 30 spline axle shafts, you would be much better off and safe. I'll let others comment on the lunch box as I have never had one.

Looking to Install locker on my Dana 35 and 30 , running 33x12.50x15 and geared to 4.56 . Wanting to do limited slip on the rear and a small lunch box locker in the front . An recommendations ?
If you want to put a limited slip in a Dana 35, I'd recommend the Eaton TruTrac.
It always works, you'll never have to worry about clutch pads wearing out, never have to add friction modifier, and works amazing in snow.

As you may already know, one advantage of a limited slip in a Dana 35 over a locker is there much much less chance of breaking your axle.
I'd also look into adding chromoly shafts just in case though.

If you don't want to go to a Super35, or swap rear axles, then don't get a locker. I'd also suggest the Detroit Truetrac for some added traction. I have a Dana 35, and just last week I had 4.10's, Detroit Truetracs f/r and Dana 35 Revolution Gear 1541H axles shafts installed.

I didn't want an ARB, or Detroit locker, and those are the two main choices with a Super35.

Yea my plan was going with the Eaton true trac limites slip for the back , just put locker on there for the front , my question I guess is would having two different sets work ? And how well for street use and off-road ?

Yea my plan was going with the Eaton true trac limites slip for the back , just put locker on there for the front , my question I guess is would having two different sets work ? And how well for street use and off-road ?

For the street I would advise against a lunchbox locker in the front as it can be extremely dangerous if you ever need 4wd in wet/snowy conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hook_62
For the street I would advise against a lunchbox locker in the front as it can be extremely dangerous if you ever need 4wd in wet/snowy conditions.
X2 100%. If you drive it in the snow, you have to go selectable up front, leave it open in the snow and lock it out when you need it on the trail. Auto lockers in the front in the snow will drastically reduce your ability to steer.

It depends on what you are using the Jeep for and where you live.

If you are going to play in rocks skip the Truetrac. It doesn’t compare to a locker. If you are going to stay on the dirt and only light off-roading truetracs will probably be alright.

A lunchbox locker is a great option for Dana 30 if you don’t live where it snows. I have a spartan and love it. Drives 100% normal on the street and you can barely hear the ticking it causes during turns unless the windows are rolled down and no music and you’re listening for it. BUT you wouldn’t be able to use 4wd on snowy streets with it. If you live in the snow go for selectable like an Eaton E locker.

For the rear if you want a locker you need to upgrade to 30 spline chromoly axle shafts which really isn’t difficult. I have a Detroit locker in my Dana 35 with the super shafts and performs amazing though can be annoying on the street sometimes.

If I had to do it over again I would do selectable Eaton E locker In the rear and a lunchbox in the front Dana 30 (powertrax, Aussie, or spartan). That way you get perfect street manners and all the benefits offroad.

Wh
what I’d I go all around limited slip front and back ? I will be using it mostly for winter and light to mid off road and that’s once every month or so . Other than that it will be driven around as a daily if it has to be . Located in Denver Colorado

Wh

what I’d I go all around limited slip front and back ? I will be using it mostly for winter and light to mid off road and that’s once every month or so . Other than that it will be driven around as a daily if it has to be . Located in Denver Colorado
Sounds like limited slips would be a good choice then. I have a Dana 30 Truetrac I’ll sell ya. I had 4.56 gears on it so you should be set.

Reactions: RL_MJ
Wh

I have Eaton TruTrac's front and back. Love it.
If you're doing a lot of winter driving, it's great. You don't have to worry about frozen condensation freezing your air hose either, which can be a common issue in certain climates.
It's my daily driver (only vehicle), as well as light to mid off road.

Note: the manual I received for the TruTracs recommends conventional oil with no friction modifier for best results.
I think the important part of that is 'no friction modifier'.
I switched from synthetic oil to conventional in my diff when I installed TruTracs, although I'm not entirely convinced conventional oil is better than synthetic in the differentials. It is much nicer on my wallet however.

although I'm not entirely convinced conventional oil is better than synthetic in the differentials. It is much nicer on my wallet however.
It definitely is, it was surprisingly discovered that the R&P gears run substantially cooler when lubed with a conventional than with a synthetic. The conventional has better heat extracting/sinking characteristics. Which is why mainstream companies like Revolution Gear and Currie recommend conventional gear lubes.

It's not easy to find convention gear oil without friction modifier already added. Often you can't tell if it does or not. Eaton recommends conventional gear oil, and oil that doesn't have friction modifier for the Truetrac. I need to locate some when I change the diff fluid after break in.

It's not easy to find convention gear oil without friction modifier already added. Often you can't tell if it does or not. Eaton recommends conventional gear oil, and oil that doesn't have friction modifier for the Truetrac. I need to locate some when I change the diff fluid after break in.
When I ran front & rear Truetracs I spoke with a Detroit (pre-Eaton) rep who said it didn't matter if it had the friction modifier or not, that the Truetrac doesn't care one way or the other since it is gear based. The other gears inside the axle don't care either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 89grand
I love my TruTrac's!!! I have been going through some very steep deep rutted trails where several times I had only 2 wheels on the ground and with a little brake input they act alot like a locker. There are extremely impressive!!

Last edited:
When I ran front & rear Truetracs I spoke with Detroit (pre-Eaton) rep who said it didn't matter if it had the friction modifier or not, that the Truetrac doesn't care one way or the other since it is gear based. The other gears inside the axle don't care either.
I don't really know why it would matter either. They say that, but who knows why.

I live in Florida where we only encounter mud, dirt, sand, and mud, did I mention mud? What would the ideal set-up be for Dana 30 and Dana 35?

I live in Florida where we only encounter mud, dirt, sand, and mud, did I mention mud? What would the ideal set-up be for Dana 30 and Dana 35?
An Eaton Detroit Truetrac LSD in the rear axle. Avoid installing a locker into a stock Dana 35.