Any suggestions for a quality Bluetooth amplifier?

grringle

Have a 2004 LJ and looking into upgrading amplifier and dash speakers. Any suggestions for a quality Bluetooth Amplifier?

I removed the back seat and roll bar/speakers to convert into pickup so just have the center console sub and 2 way dash speakers now. Decided against upgrading head unit with Bluetooth & Android Auto capabilities and opting for Bluetooth Amplifier and then just use my phone with CD mount holder.

Just understand that Bluetooth causes a considerable delay in sound that will cause an echo effect if paired with non-Bluetooth audo. I can't listen to my TV via my Bluetooth ear pieces if the tv's hardwired speakers are also on.

Reactions: Zorba
The amp can be used as a stand-alone Bluetooth gateway so there should not be any issue with echo in this setup when using the phone as the music source.

This is one from Kenwood I am considering given the Bluetooth, size and it is also a Marine amp as an extra precaution for when top is off or water gets into the Jeep. Would like to know if anyone has done a similar approach.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTXQL74/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
I went with the Kenwood and it has worked out well for me. Use phone to connect via Bluetooth for music (Sirius, Amazon, etc).

1_Bluetooth Amp.jpg

I went with the Kenwood and it has worked out well for me. Use phone to connect via Bluetooth for music (Sirius, Amazon, etc).

View attachment 284144
Gotcha. What made you lean toward the Kenwood, versus some of the others linked above? I’m just curious about the big price difference, but I don’t know enough to see any difference in the features or specs.

Edit: I'm finding this and this helpful in understanding why two amps, with similar specs, might have different prices (and performance).

Last edited:
I do not know about the others. You may be good with those if you are not seeing any difference in specs.

After some more searching, I'm also interested in these:
Both are surprisingly cheap, and are from known brands. I wonder why the Kenwood is so much more expensive?

@ebay007, @pagrey, @Schwifty Rich, @Goatman have been active on similar threads. Got any insights?
Yes, and both brands are known to suck and over-state their ratings (unless you are talking distortion, then they under-rate them). Anyway, Kenwood is more expensive because, well, they suck less.

Yes, and both brands are known to suck and over-state their ratings (unless you are talking distortion, then they under-rate them). Anyway, Kenwood is more expensive because, well, they suck less.

Aha, ok, I didn’t know they had bad reputations. That alone explains a lot.

Edit: PS, do you have any brands you’d recommend?

Aha, ok, I didn’t know they had bad reputations. That alone explains a lot.

Edit: PS, do you have any brands you’d recommend?
No idea about Pyle, but I would stay very far away from any Boss products. I came about a Boss amp for free and was planning to install it in my TJ. After reading some reviews online I decided to just stick with the old Clarion that PO put in. I listed the Boss on FB marketplace and had a guy wanting to buy it the next day because he had the exact same model that died on him. Can't say I agree with his logic on that one.

One of the things I learned awhile ago was that Kenwood is THE name for car audio products. They aren't the only ones making quality products, but you can always buy a Kenwood and pretty safely expect it to outlast the vehicle and you'll never be disappointed.

Reactions: SSTJ
It is a little pricey but you can check out Audio Fischer. I have a Helix 5 channel amp with a DSP and added Bluetooth card. They have a display (not a head unit) that can be added to control the amp directly.

1634453141913.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ
If you are going to do an audio overhaul on your Jeep I recommend you switch out your old head-unit with a new one that has Bluetooth instead and an amp hooked up to it. Also look for a head-unit that has enough RCA outputs in order to correspond to the amount of audio outputs you will need. Also pony up for a higher quality head unit that has lower levels of distortion. This is because you want the audio source to be as clear as possible. That is why I went with Kenwood's Exelon series because of it's clearer source audio with low distortion at higher volumes. This is all the major audio equipment I am running in my TJ:

Mids and Highs:
Pioneer GM-DX874 Amp hooked up to 4 Polk Audio DB 522 5.25" Speakers, these are running at 100 watts RMS per speaker, it is safe to say that they get a bit loud. Also another nice thing about these Polks is that they are marine grade speakers.

Lows:
JL Audio JD500/1 Amp hooked up to 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Prime Subwoofers. These are running at a factory rated 500 watts RMS, but Rockford Fosgate and JL underrate their specs so it is running at around 600 RMS. I also ran a similar Rockford Fosgate R2-500X1 amp with these subwoofers with identical results. I only switched because I found the JL amp on sale and preferred its tuning settings but they are both equally good amps. The Rockford Fosgate amp comes with a "birth sheet" that is unique to each amp because their output is tested after manufacturing. My specific birth sheet stated that it had a 611 watts RMS output under a 2 ohm load. Results may vary from amp to amp but most people get ~600 watts RMS on these amps. The 2 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofers take that power no problem. Also these subwoofers were the only subwoofers at the audio shop that would fit in my small TJ trunk (excluding the smaller single subwoofer enclosures).

Head-Unit:
I chose the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X704 as my head-unit of choice because it outputs good audio quality, and was okay to listen to without an amp at it's 22 RMS but wasn't knock your socks off without an amp. It includes Alexa, hands free calling, Spotify compatibility, and a bunch of other novelties. One of my most sought after functions that this head-unit includes is, being able to take off the faceplate in order to give you peace of mind when parking it in a not so nice area with no doors and/or top.

This is a complete audio overhaul that isn't necessary, but sure is fun and loud. Do note that this audio system does not sound as good in a Jeep because of the terrible acoustics, but sure is still fun. I was able to run my friend's 2 12" JL subwoofers JL Audio CP212-W0v3 on the rear seats in my Jeep because we use the same amp in our setups and although it still sets off car alarms, it does still sound better in a car with doors and no soft top. Also I mounted my amps under my rear bench and they fit just right under there and I can easily access them by folding the rear bench forward.

Reactions: suicideking
If you are going to do an audio overhaul on your Jeep I recommend you switch out your old head-unit with a new one that has Bluetooth instead and an amp hooked up to it. Also look for a head-unit that has enough RCA outputs in order to correspond to the amount of audio outputs you will need. Also pony up for a higher quality head unit that has lower levels of distortion. This is because you want the audio source to be as clear as possible. That is why I went with Kenwood's Exelon series because of it's clearer source audio with low distortion at higher volumes. This is all the major audio equipment I am running in my TJ:

Mids and Highs:
Pioneer GM-DX874 Amp hooked up to 4 Polk Audio DB 522 5.25" Speakers, these are running at 100 watts RMS per speaker, it is safe to say that they get a bit loud. Also another nice thing about these Polks is that they are marine grade speakers.

Lows:
JL Audio JD500/1 Amp hooked up to 2 10" Rockford Fosgate Prime Subwoofers. These are running at a factory rated 500 watts RMS, but Rockford Fosgate and JL underrate their specs so it is running at around 600 RMS. I also ran a similar Rockford Fosgate R2-500X1 amp with these subwoofers with identical results. I only switched because I found the JL amp on sale and preferred its tuning settings but they are both equally good amps. The Rockford Fosgate amp comes with a "birth sheet" that is unique to each amp because their output is tested after manufacturing. My specific birth sheet stated that it had a 611 watts RMS output under a 2 ohm load. Results may vary from amp to amp but most people get ~600 watts RMS on these amps. The 2 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofers take that power no problem. Also these subwoofers were the only subwoofers at the audio shop that would fit in my small TJ trunk (excluding the smaller single subwoofer enclosures).

Head-Unit:
I chose the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X704 as my head-unit of choice because it outputs good audio quality, and was okay to listen to without an amp at it's 22 RMS but wasn't knock your socks off without an amp. It includes Alexa, hands free calling, Spotify compatibility, and a bunch of other novelties. One of my most sought after functions that this head-unit includes is, being able to take off the faceplate in order to give you peace of mind when parking it in a not so nice area with no doors and/or top.

This is a complete audio overhaul that isn't necessary, but sure is fun and loud. Do note that this audio system does not sound as good in a Jeep because of the terrible acoustics, but sure is still fun. I was able to run my friend's 2 12" JL subwoofers JL Audio CP212-W0v3 on the rear seats in my Jeep because we use the same amp in our setups and although it still sets off car alarms, it does still sound better in a car with doors and no soft top. Also I mounted my amps under my rear bench and they fit just right under there and I can easily access them by folding the rear bench forward.
Wow, thanks for all this. Yes I currently run a Sony head unit quite similar to your Kenwood. My reason for being interested in the Bluetooth amps is that I do want to stick with stock head unit, and would prefer this approach over adding Bluetooth via attachments or via a 1FactoryRadio mod. But there are other threads for that discussion, so we can keep this one on the topic of recommended Bluetooth amps.

Ok, trusting Crutchfield to sell quality products, here and here are all Bluetooth amps. The first is for cars, and the second is 'marine'.
I always struggle comparing these, they essentially all look about the same. If it were me, I would go with the Kenwood as it seems to have about the same specs as the other 4 channel amps they have there.

Agree with this. Not sure about Boss, but I've never known Pyle to make anything well. Kenwood isn't really high end, but they make good stuff for a decent price. Kenwood and Sony are pretty much the same company IIRC.

Like many other things, you get what you pay for.

I ended up replacing my radio with an Alpine that has BT. I've been an Alpine fan since the 80's. My radio was around $200.